Anyone tried this hood?

Hi Dounin,

This is Stacy from AerialDroneAccessories.com the maker of the Master Series Sunshade. Thanks for starting this thread. I placed in the thread a response, answering questions you had also talking explaining the cost. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Sincerely,
Stacy Cobb
AerialDroneAccessories.com
(205) 515-4593
Stacy
Thanks so much for taking the time to further explain your products to us. After watching the videos you've posted I am really impressed by your innovation and implementation. I hope you know a good patent attorney that can help protect your concept.

One thing many of us are seeking is a longer shade area to block as much of the direct sun and reflection as possible. The problem being it also adds to the weight and unwieldiness of the hood. (Note the one posted by Simon78 above on post #18) Have you worked on that challenge?

As an innovative and custom manufactured hood, I do see the great value in your product.

What's the verdict? (Other than the outrageous price.) I can't see from their demo video how everything attaches.

Master Series iPad Mini Sunshade

I've purchased 4 different hoods, one with little suction cups, ones with velcro, etc & made 2 of my own creation. None of them worked for glare (some a little better than others), trouble to mount & more trouble to stay mounted in one piece.

The money I spent on the others equaled or passed the $89 model I bought (Samsung Tab 4), took me a minute to figure it out, but it works great, stays in place, I even took off my glare cover. Only thing I would change would be the magnets holding the sides. I shake a little & become a little clumsy, so sometimes I bump or shake too hard & the side collapses. Its easy & fast to just place it back with one finger.

It also holds the Tab 4 when closed, protecting the screen.

What's the verdict? (Other than the outrageous price.) I can't see from their demo video how everything attaches.

Master Series iPad Mini Sunshade

I just purchased the Hoodman Aviator hood with extender. I haven't really used it yet, just installed it to see how it works. They are pricey! But it seems very well made. I've read this is the same company that makes the camera hoods for Hollywood and sports arenas.

It does seem to block out most light. It wasn't hard to install. But it can make using your tablet/phone a bit more difficult. It has a slit for you to slide your fingers through. It will take some getting used to. I had to register more fingers on the iPad Air 2 print reader. I was using my thumb, but realized my thumb wouldn't be long enough to use the unlock print reader.

It adds a bit more to the weight of everything too. But I believe it will be nice to get the look of goggles but be able to quickly look up at the quad too.

Drone Aviator hood kit (includes HAV2 & HAV2E) - HAV2KIT in Drones, Phones and Tablet

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Hoodman-Dron...69288791&sr=8-1&keywords=hoodman+aviator+hav2

Not exactly a hood, but very effective:

maxresdefault.jpg

Just slide in your smartphone and run Litchi in VR mode. Added bonus, you can tilt the camera by moving your head. Havent flown yet, but on the ground it looks perfect and for only € 20.

...I've tried too many solutions to count and have settled on the hoodman aviator mounted directly in front of my eyes so switching between screen and LOS is merely a glance away - also placing the RC on a stable shelf gives me more granularity and precision in my stick movements - the stand for everything is a bit heavy, but for operations near parking, I'll spend the extra two minutes to set it up every time!
image.jpg

...I've tried too many solutions to count and have settled on the hoodman aviator mounted directly in front of my eyes so switching between screen and LOS is merely a glance away - also placing the RC on a stable shelf gives me more granularity and precision in my stick movements - the stand for everything is a bit heavy, but for operations near parking, I'll spend the extra two minutes to set it up every time!
View attachment 60578

Hey I like that!

DSC_0104.JPG

These are the hoods I have on and no matter what you do there is no face reflection.... white works just as good and looks cool - and for the price I tried both :) SEE

DSC_0102.JPG DSC_0103.JPG DSC_0104.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Dounin Front
View attachment 60612
These are the hoods I have on and no matter what you do there is no face reflection.... white works just as good and looks cool - and for the price I tried both :) SEE
Thanks for the pics. It sure looks like it will shield better with the longer hood. I've ordered one on Amazon and will let you all know what I think of it.
Amazon.com : 'BLACK'- Drone Shade/Controller Hood for Tablets- Perfect for Ipad Mini & majority of small form factor tablets- For perfectly clear display : Camera & Photo

I like the one a forum friend built, out of an empty Mike's Hard Lemonade box... It's very refreshing. Fits great, looks delicious, and yes, low on calories... Hahaha

RedHotPoker
Tasty too.... just like candy!

Reactions: RedHotPoker
I just purchased the Hoodman Aviator hood with extender. I haven't really used it yet, just installed it to see how it works. They are pricey! But it seems very well made. I've read this is the same company that makes the camera hoods for Hollywood and sports arenas.

It does seem to block out most light. It wasn't hard to install. But it can make using your tablet/phone a bit more difficult. It has a slit for you to slide your fingers through. It will take some getting used to. I had to register more fingers on the iPad Air 2 print reader. I was using my thumb, but realized my thumb wouldn't be long enough to use the unlock print reader.

It adds a bit more to the weight of everything too. But I believe it will be nice to get the look of goggles but be able to quickly look up at the quad too.

Drone Aviator hood kit (includes HAV2 & HAV2E) - HAV2KIT in Drones, Phones and Tablet

Amazon:
Amazon.com: Hoodman Drone Aviator Hood Kit for iPad Air HAV2KIT: Cell Phones & Accessories
I own a hoodman and speak from first hand experience. It works very well, yes it is pricey but worth every penny. The only way to eliminate glare, which is what these things attempt to do, is to surround the screen and look through the other end of the "tunnel". Hoodman is the best one at keeping sun away, primarily because it tapers to a very small opening where you look through.

Last edited:
I purchased a great sunscreen that holds the iPad Pro 12.9" on the Phantom 4 controller very solidly. It is from AERIALDRONEACCESSORIES.COM The unit for the iPad Pro 12.9" is called The MASTER SERIES IPAD PRO 12.9" SUNSHADE. Great unit that works like a charm. Stacy is really great to work with. Really enjoy being able to use the large screen on the iPad Pro 12.9". Not too heavy with excellent large screen to view.

But wont these just reflect your face straight back at you , too 90* ??

image.png

...you must get ALL the light off of the tablet screen AND, more importantly, anything that will reflect into the tablet screen - this is why photographers use a large dark cloth to cover the whole viewing area for critical focusing of view cameras, since the ground glass the image appears on is a very similar situation to seeing an image on a tablet screen.

A cloth may actually be my next attempt. The hoodman aviator looks perfect, but it costs € 149 here, which is more than I can stomach. It makes the Parrot bebop Skycontroller, which comes with a remarkably similar hood, look almost reasonably priced.

...tip: some strategically placed velcro to secure one end around your tablet and a baseball cap to mitigate any cloth sagging in front of your eyes may make life with a dark cloth a bit easier for you - and hey, at least the image on the tablet is right side up, unlike the view camera where you also had to try and place your head upside down as well, or just compose your shot upside down and backwards; those were the days!

Yes the Hoodman "peep box" approach really works well (I'm told) and you can easily look up at your drone at any time. Plus, you won't need to get under the covers.:)
But first I have to try the longer angled hood SimonH78 has recommended. It's coming from the UK on a slow boat apparently.

I'm really impressed with the sunshade made by Stacy Cobb. Great innovation and workmanship, but I'm still concerned it won't block enough light. That's where the hoodman or goggles win out.

Hi Everyone,
This is Stacy from AerialDroneAccessories.com the maker of the Master Series sunshade.
There have been some question about assembly so I'm putting up a couple of videos for you. The first one is my release to pre purchasers of the Master Series Line up. Most of what is in this video remains however we did redo the IndustrialROTOR Mounting system to version 2.0. We did away with the GoPro Style mount and went with a rosette style mount. We also went to a 90% hardware based assemble where most pieces are screwed together instead of being plastic welded. We show the new mounting system in video number 2 below. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or visit www.aerialdroneaccessories.com and contact me that way either by phone or email.

Release and Assembly Video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Industrial Rotor Mount 2.0

Found this, seems like its in a big box so might explain why its taking so long to get to you...the UK slow boat route.

Found this, seems like its in a big box so might explain why its taking so long to get to you...the UK slow boat route.

Thanks for sharing..I'm liking it more all the time and I haven't even received it yet. Shouldn't have to worry about customs slowing it down.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic