Anyone tried this hood?

What about these robust and cheap and LIGHTWEIGHT - it does the job! they're angled to shade your faces reflection as well as the sun so work better IMO .... ... - AMAZON

I use them I have both colors (Black and White) The new Shade... - Aerial-Image

Last edited:
Reactions: GmanTerry
I like the one a forum friend built, out of an empty Mike's Hard Lemonade box... It's very refreshing. Fits great, looks delicious, and yes, low on calories... Hahaha

RedHotPoker

What about these robust and cheap and LIGHTWEIGHT - it does the job! they're angled to shade your faces reflection as well as the sun so work better IMO .... ... - AMAZON

Yes it looks good - longer shade than most.
But I was unable to find pricing, ordering or specs info on their website.

I see from your edit they are available from Amazon. I may try a black one. Very reasonably priced.
I just ordered one from Amazon.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Coincidently, he called me just now, free time and wants to go flying this afternoon... If he has his "range hood" available, I will get some pics of his creation and post them, for your approval later on. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Dounin Front
I want one that looks like the scope that Spock is always looking into on his console.

Indeed you do. I have a parrot bebop 2 and used to have a skycontroller that came with a hood like that:
SUNSHADE_COVER_RED_mini.jpg.600x2000_q85.jpg

Ive since sold the skycontroller (I am using a wifi repeater and game controller to get similar range and controlability while being much smaller). I really wish I had "forgotten" to include the hood. It looked stupid, especially for a quad as small as the bebop, but it worked fantastic.

There is a thread about that hood here:
The Best SunShade Out There!

I went with the hoodman aviator...to me, its the best hood made.
It kind of looks like the one in the parrot beebop picture posted above.
https://www.amazon.com/Hoodman-Dron...id=1468869096&sr=8-1&keywords=hoodman+aviator

While I agree both of these appear pretty awesome, they are also very pricy. I actually had the Hoodman in my checkout cart for some time while waiting for them to come off backorder. While waiting I read some reviews saying it was overly difficult to install. I'm sure the Hoodman provides viewing second only to VR goggles, but with the ability to just look up to see your drone.

As for "the best sunshade out there" it looks very well made, but doesn't provide any additional shade area over the one I have now.
I ordered the inexpensive one from UK on Amazon that SimonH78 recommended: https://www.amazon.com/Controller-T...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01FSIWYAW
Although they don't mention its dimensions, it appears to provide more shade.
We'll see.

While I agree both of these appear pretty awesome, they are also very pricy. I actually had the Hoodman in my checkout cart for some time while waiting for them to come off backorder. While waiting I read some reviews saying it was overly difficult to install. I'm sure the Hoodman provides viewing second only to VR goggles, but with the ability to just look up to see your drone.

As for "the best sunshade out there" it looks very well made, but doesn't provide any additional shade area over the one I have now.
I ordered the inexpensive one from UK on Amazon that SimonH78 recommended: https://www.amazon.com/Controller-T...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01FSIWYAW
Although they don't mention its dimensions, it appears to provide more shade.
We'll see.

Make sure you let us know how you make out once you get it. I will say that I have my doubts it will work very well...or even at all.
One thing I learned from my journey with various sunshades is that as much glare as you get from the sun directly you also get as much reflecting off everything else around you, including your body. I dont see how a shade with a wide open side such as the one you posted will do any good.
Probably a good idea to pair the shade you ordered with a matte anti glare screen protector for your tablet.

Wishing you luck and let us know how it turns out.

Problem with all normal shades is that they dont block the light from behind you. What will work, if you dont mind looking silly, is a blanket :).

Make sure you let us know how you make out once you get it. I will say that I have my doubts it will work very well...or even at all.
One thing I learned from my journey with various sunshades is that as much glare as you get from the sun directly you also get as much reflecting off everything else around you, including your body. I dont see how a shade with a wide open side such as the one you posted will do any good.
Probably a good idea to pair the shade you ordered with a matte anti glare screen protector for your tablet.

Wishing you luck and let us know how it turns out.
You are definitely right about the additional light surrounding you. The reflections below you also cause your iris to change making it hard to clearly see your display. You also can't change direction or hide in the shade without affecting your signal. It's a dilemma alright.
I'll report on the one I ordered from across the pond.

Reactions: dtviewer
This one on eBay from Hong Kong works great for me and is good quality.
Total junk. I bought one not knowing. It does not let the tablet holder secure the tablet very well at all. The cut outs are to narrow. The suction cups are wierd. Also it provides zero glare reduction, as it just goes straight up on the sides, so it is either reflecting the sun or your face, the official DJI one is just as bad.
I tried to give it to a flying buddy, but he got the same impression. So now it is in the landfill.

You have to make sure you position the holder for the iPad all the way back flat, I'll add a pic of it flat it does have a long hood portion to help hide your face reflection from the screen which is the best part especially if your also wearing light colored baseball caps or have grey hair like me!! Yes it is wide but you do need to touch the screen sometimes and it dosnt restrict you at all, but this does shade the reflection from your face. Its angled hood is far better than the DJI square hoods. IMO :) , which is the big problem with the others i have tried.
As for building its just quickly fold and stick the velcro for the sides to hold in place the TX holder does all the holding in place...simple. - LINK

This is it folded flat... with my iPad Mini for size.

20160720-DSC_0070.jpg

WP_20160423_001.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dounin Front

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic