Anyone tried flashing P3P firmware into a P3A?

Reaction score
Wondering the outcome of flashing the P3P firmware in a P3A brain. Changing video transmission bitrate option shows up in DJI go app, but seems to have no effect in display. Was just wondering if anyone has tried the P3P firmware to see if it allows bitrate changing in a P3A.

The camera hardware is different between P3A and P3P, how do you expect different firmware is going to improve on a P3A's camera?
BTW the option of changing video transmission bitrate option has always been available in DJI GO (manual channel mode) with my P3A (with P3A firmware), but it does not do anything to the actual display at all.
I guess you can always be the first one to experiment and let us know :p

The camera hardware is different between P3A and P3P, how do you expect different firmware is going to improve on a P3A's camera?
BTW the option of changing video transmission bitrate option has always been available in DJI GO (manual channel mode) with my P3A (with P3A firmware), but it does not do anything to the actual display at all.
I guess you can always be the first one to experiment and let us know :p
I imagine the only hardware difference is in the camera itself. Not the lightbridge transmitter system. The reason I ask is there is no visual change on display when changing the bitrate slider in Go app. And since I have no P3P to check if the P3P change actually effects the display I ask this question. I am thinking the change (when fully enabled) would improve the transmitted video feed quality since the option slider states distance differences with changing the slider inferring a distance limitation reduction when increasing the bitrate. This is a transmission subject, not a camera issue. And yes, I may perhaps do it since I am not afraid of trying new things.

It has been done, accidentally. The camera will not take the firmware and the update will fail. The cameras have different hardware in them. Obviously it will not work.

Then I wonder why DJI put that setting in their app. Changing the slider position has no visual effect change. I wonder then if a professional camera was attached if the firmware affecting that option would operate as it is implied.

Then I wonder why DJI put that setting in their app. Changing the slider position has no visual effect change. I wonder then if a professional camera was attached if the firmware affecting that option would operate as it is implied.
The Pro, Phantom 4 also use the same app. That is why it is in the app. Well, the P4 used to until the Go 4 app came out.
Yes, you can put the Pro camera on an Advanced P3. The camera is the only thing that differentiates a Pro from an Advanced. Other than the higher powered battery charger. Then you will have to load the Pro firmware into the camera or the camera will not work at all.
It has all been done before many times. If you search this forum you will find some discussion on it.
But it is really not worth it. 4K is almost unplayable on anything. Most computers do not have the hardware to handle the file size and will buffer, most televisions wont play the file format so it will need to be converted and you will have quality loss. All that extra time and money for a really unnoticeable difference to people watching a video on their phone of you flying over some trees or a field.
As for the bitrate, the higher the bitrate the shorter the transmission distance due to a larger file size needing to be sent through the signal. There are a few posts with comparisons of the image quality of the Advanced bitrate vs the highest setting on an Pro. There is no real difference. If there is, it is barely noticeable on a phone or tablet. Nothing worth the extra time and money of exchanging the 2.7K for the 4K.

The higher downlink speed on the P3P is enabled by the presence of a Texas Instruments made DaVinci encoder chip not present on the P3A. There is a seperate module in the P3P firmware flash file for the DaVinci- you can't flash what the P3A doesn't have.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20