Anyone tried a different camera thats not a GoPro?

Reaction score
Hi,

Thought I'd introduce myself and ask a question at the same time. Had my FC40 about 5 days now and find it brilliant. Still getting to grips with it but find the standard camera a little lacklustre (that said I'm glad I got it so I can learn how not to crash it!).

I'm looking at sorting out a mount to hang my Panasonic GF6 under it. For those not familiar with it its a 300g 16MP camera with 1080p and built in wifi (and an app that runs on my phone like the FC40).

Anyone else tried doing this at all?

Seriously, I will never film anything with my phantom without a gimbal. That's plain and simple, it's like on rails.

That said, the gopro hero 3+ black edition is absolutely stunning, and you can do so much with it regardless of activity like biking or surfing that is really an investment, not a purchase.

It has amounts for anything. ANYTHING!

ericdes said:
Seriously, I will never film anything with my phantom without a gimbal. That's plain and simple, it's like on rails.

That said, the gopro hero 3+ black edition is absolutely stunning, and you can do so much with it regardless of activity like biking or surfing that is really an investment, not a purchase.

It has amounts for anything. ANYTHING!

Perhaps if I didn't have something already id consider a go pro, but when I already have the Panasonic I can't justify getting one, especially when it won't be as good as a camera as the GF6 is (which is what I would still use it for most).

Hmmm.... no mention of the excellent WiFi app, nor the power zoom lenses, the good low light performance , stop motion modes, full photographic exposure control, etc.

They are horses for courses. The go pro just isn't a patch on the Panasonic in my view. I'm nor saying the go pro is bad but its not built as a photographers tool, its built as a high quality portable video camera first and foremost. But that's not what I want. I want a decent stills camera that's lighter and smaller than my Nikon D3 that can also take video. The go pro is more a pretty decent portable video camera that can also take stills. Besides, I already have the Panasonic and am not about to chop it in for something else.

I'm not saying to buy the Gopro, however if you want to make the most of the video you need a gimbal, plain and simple. they don't make gimbals for your camera on the Phantom.

If you want stills than balance your props and hover. Hopefully you can have options to make the camera take pictures at a pre-set interval.

If you want that camera taking video, than you need another quad. Some gimbals will work with your camera but the Phantom will not lift that heavy load.

I would sell the camera and get a gopro - gimbal combo and not lose a ton of money. That's just me. From what I have read on both cameras I don't see the Gopro being outclassed in any department, apart from a fixed lens.

The specs for the Phantom state a maximum take off weight of 1200g.

The camera and lens weighs around 310g and even with an adapted gimbal will not exceed that so I can't see why it won't lift it. I accept handling may be less than perfect and battery life shortened but that's something I'm prepared to accept. Its still probably better than slinging it below a kite (for which I have a type of gimbal called a picavent)

The GF6 has a remote control app to fully control the camera over WiFi - this includes remote setting of exposure, aperture, shutter speed and zoom (when fitted with a power zoom lens). It can also be programmed for interval shooting direct from the camera (1 photo every x seconds)

In terms of Go Pro vs GF6 having spent half an hour on the instruction manual for the Go Pro as a stills camera it is totally outclassed by the GF6 (as I expected).
It has no optical zoom (digital zoom is not up to scratch as it reduces image quality)
It has no image stabilisation (GF 6 does)
It has a lower maximum ISO setting (less capable in low light - 6400 vs 25600 though admittedly at 25600 GF6 quality ain't great)
No manual mode.
No Aperture priority modes because it has no aperture control so no depth of field control.
No Shutter priority modes.
No in camera HDR.
No in camera tone curve adjustments
Only 12MP not 16.
No LCD screen for viewing images (not an issue when its 200 foot up I know but still useful off Phantom).
Smaller image sensor (which in general mean lower quality images - my 12MP Nikon gives better image quality than the 16MP GF6 mainly because the Nikon sensor is 36mm x 24mm whereas the GF6 is less than half that. Smaller sensors generate more heat for a given pixel count than larger ones as they have less surface area to disperse it. This means they are more prone to noise artefacts.
As a stills camera the Go Pro has more in common with an instamatic than a true stills camera. The GF6 is more like a cut down SLR.

As a stills camera the Go Pro is woefully outclassed but then that isn't what it was built for.

As a video camera I agree the Go Pro is better than the GF6 (not withstanding the lack of aperture adjustment, interchangeable lenses or zoom capability).
Certainly it has more frame rate/size options and is lighter and easier to mount but as I said that's not the prime purpose of my GF6. I use the GF6 as a stills camera and don't want to buy yet another camera (I already have 10) unless I absolutely have to.

The Go Pro and the GF6 are totally different animals for totally different markets. They just happen to overlap in a few areas.

So given the lack of responses from anyone else it would appear I'm on my own on this one.

Once I'm ready I'll try an old GF3 as a test rig before committing the GF6.

Hopefully if it works I can share the results (stills not videos).

FYI - Sensor size comaprison. Go pro is 1/2.5", GF6 is four thirds system.
Sony RX100 (another possibility as an alternative to Go Pro) fits half way between them
428px-SensorSizes.png

I have flown mine with my GARMIN VIRB ELITE attached to the std mount with no problems, also has an app that works better than the GOPRO one in my opinion.

Mark

Norte23 said:
I have flown mine with my GARMIN VIRB ELITE attached to the std mount with no problems, also has an app that works better than the GOPRO one in my opinion.

Mark

I would like to see a few photo's on how you mounted it, as there is a lot out there and starting to get confused in what to buy :)

I tried mounting an old GF3 like that but the balance was all wrong an it wouldn't lift off. Have got a few sheets of carbon and an idea on how to do it now so will post pics when done....

I was hoping a drift ghost I had already would be OK but it seems to suffer jello pretty bad in part caused by the weight of it meaning the phantom has to work harder.
Just got a GoPro look-a-like SJ4000 which seems to be much better though the video is a bit blue. Easily warmed up in processing.
This should also be compatible with various gimbals so well worth considering. (but note it can't FPV + record, even though it has an htmi out)

There are GoPro hero 3's going on ebay for about £175. TBH I bought one because all the gimbals are geared towards a GoPro & with my VIRB being the wrong shape I thought it would be easier.

Mark

Norte23 said:
There are GoPro hero 3's going on ebay for about £175. TBH I bought one because all the gimbals are geared towards a GoPro & with my VIRB being the wrong shape I thought it would be easier.

Mark

Just be careful when buying GoPros on ebay. There are reports of people buying them and receiving a gopro without a serial, which means they are not valid for any warranty, and you can't even register it to update the firmware. I was looking around for a good deal but that kinda scared me away from buying my gopro from ebay. I went with B&H for my hero+ black, and they threw in a 32gb SanDisk Extreme Class 10. At least then I know I'm covered by warranty, and will get a legit camera.

Cool thanks, hadn't heard that before. This appears all genuine from someone who bought it then stopped the hobby due to cash flow. Its not that far away from me so if I do get one with no serial the seller will be getting a visit me thinks. Ill let ya know how i get on when it arrives.

Mark

I just bought a GoPro Hero3+ for £251 and its all straight too. Registered and updated no problem.
I can't see the GF6 being able to be mounted with gimbals for video so have opted to use the GoPro for that and the GF6 for stills.

Planning to cut the GF6 mount this weekend all going well (and the the weather being good - carbon fibre dust makes a huge mess!)

Norte23 said:
Cool thanks, hadn't heard that before. This appears all genuine from someone who bought it then stopped the hobby due to cash flow. Its not that far away from me so if I do get one with no serial the seller will be getting a visit me thinks. Ill let ya know how i get on when it arrives.

Mark

No problem. Here's one of the few threads I came across on the subject: http://slickdeals.net/f/6824396-gopro-h ... f-s?page=2

Just so you know I wasn't blowing smoke.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav