Anyone successfully waterproof a Phantom?

Reaction score
I'll be using my Vision+ almost 100% over water and was wondering if anyone has successfully waterproofed theirs. I coated the compass using Liquid Tape, and it seems to not be affected by the coating. As far as the rest of the electronics, it looks like a really big job to disassemble enough to get at all the parts.

I was thinking of using CorrosionX on the circuitry, but since the altitude sensors can be damaged, that is a major concern. Not wanting to coat those sensors. That is located in the Naza board, correct?

The other major area of concern is the gimbal and camera. Those brushless motors look delicate enough that I wouldn't want to put any coating on them which might cause them to malfunction. As far as the camera, I don't know how that will take to a submersion in water.

Basically, I would like to keep it out of the water if at all possible, but if it does wind up in the water, I'd like to minimize what would need replacing.

I'm designing a float gear that will minimize flipping after landing.

Any ideas, other than suggestions to not fly it over water???

I have a friend that is obsessed with the idea, I gotta admit I am as well. I've seen a few things on youtube and on the web, but nothing really tangible.

I wish you great success, the person that figures that out is sure to make a lot of money.

I will start by coating the esc's with CorrosionX. The motors don't really need waterproofing, and re-oiling after dunking usually is all that's needed. I have the compass taken care of. It's a matter of tackling each part individually, minimizing what needs to be replaced, in case of water damage. The camera/gimbal is a huge problem, and probably the most expensive part to replace. Don't know about the GPS antenna, but read that it usually does ok after drying out.

I'd like to know if there is circuitry in the gimbal, or if it gets it's signals from the Naza-M board. Although a long time fixed wing r/c'er, I'm completely new to quads, so this is uncharted territory for me. Definitely gives me something to do on rainy days though, since I am semi-retired!

My P2V was in a lake for about 30 minutes 5 or 6 weeks ago. I lost the camera and battery. Never found the camera. The battery was damaged by the soaking. Dried out the quad and it flew again. Unfortunately the quality of flight began to decline. A week and a half ago I took it apart again for additional cleaning. I found the motors now have a slight amount of rust in them. I also suspect the NAZA module had water in it which may be the cause of the decline of stability. I opened that module and discovered it is not water tight. Some delicate components inside as well. The GPS and main control board seem fine. ESC's seem fine. I believe replacing the 4 motors and the NAZA should restore it.

The motors internals should be coated if possible. The NAZA module could be better sealed. No idea about the camera/gimbal, that one is tricky.

Geo

Sketch6995 said:
the answer is yes, a company called liquipel, they have a video that is quite remarkable, they completely submerse their phantom and it flies away still dripping water, heres the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3pU0XKQZt4

Yes, I had seen that video before I posted my question. Looks good, but you have to send them the unit and they will do the waterproofing. The price for waterproofing a tablet PC is 60.00 to 80.00, so I'd guess the Phantom would be quite a bit more. I wonder how different it is than just using CorrosionX. And how do they deal with the internals of the Naza module (which can't be sealed), and camera/gimbal. I've been flying brushless on floatplanes for years, and they do real well after submersion. I never had one fail due to water related damage.

Anyway, I just completed my new float gear, and hopefully will keep the electronics high and dry (famous last words!)

thanks mike... :D sketchy reaches deep into his pocketses :mrgreen:

OH BALLZ!!!!! not currently available.....ok so sending mine in as soon as i get the P2V+...gotta have something to fly.

f320337d5b9c14d5f869b238a714c9a2.png

Well, this is the float gear I came up with, for a start at waterproofing. That, and the liquid tape coating on the compass. I used 8mm carbon fiber for the frame, and thin solid CF pegs that go through the floats at the ends of the CF tubes. The total weight of the floats are 2.8oz. That weight was more than offset by using CF props and taking the prop guards off. I'm hoping it's stable enough on the water.

Attachments

• LG-1.jpg
    LG-1.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 647
  • LG-2.jpg
    LG-2.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 503
A lot of surface area on that landing gear Danny. Have you had a chance to test them in the wind?

And I saw somewhere some guy working on a waterproof shell that floats. I'm not sure if anything became of it, but I really think he was on to something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESIEWURYNPc

dannytroy said:
Well, this is the float gear I came up with, for a start at waterproofing. That, and the liquid tape coating on the compass. I used 8mm carbon fiber for the frame, and thin solid CF pegs that go through the floats at the ends of the CF tubes. The total weight of the floats are 2.8oz. That weight was more than offset by using CF props and taking the prop guards off. I'm hoping it's stable enough on the water.

What are you planning on doing? Fishing with it?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFr0m1MTYuo[/youtube]

CarlJ said:
A lot of surface area on that landing gear Danny. Have you had a chance to test them in the wind?

And I saw somewhere some guy working on a waterproof shell that floats. I'm not sure if anything became of it, but I really think he was on to something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESIEWURYNPc

So far I've only tested it in my small backyard. It seems to fly fine, as long as the prop guards are off. I'll give it a good test at the lake this coming week.

I probably should have gone with a completely waterproof quad from aquacopters.com
They have an RTF with motors and ESC's installed for $350.00. Problem is, by the time you're done equipping it like the P2V+ it's more $$$ than the Phantom. Still, I can see it in my future, and use the Phantom strictly for land use.

And Mike, yes I had seen that fishing video on Youtube. Pretty funny.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj