Anyone spent quality time with DJI carbon reinforced props?

I have some gaffers tape. Would you put the tape on the top or bottom of the blade ideally?
I put clear Scotch tape on the bottom of my props. I've never had a problem with them.

Reactions: wallix
I can find a billion threads on this, but most are 6 months old and people are just yelling at each other (kinda like the P4 forums lol).

So, now that they've been out for a while, does anyone have an updated or current opinion on them?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I have DJI Carbon Fiber Props not 3rd party, wouldn't trust them if they weren't from DJI. I bought the black ones with the yellow striped tips because I thought they would look sharp on my P3P & they do. (Xmas present to myself) It appears to be more responsive but its hard to tell unless you were an engineer, I'm sure they are stronger being carbon fiber. The issue as to whether they are better or not just goes back & forth. If you like em buy em! My P3P fly's great with the carbon fiber props, my personal opinion & I'm no engineer....I think it does feel a bit different, I'm happy with them.

Reactions: Tony Cowan
They make more noise?? Now that's a first. Man, these are some seriously polarizing props lol.
you also have to check inside the screw on the props and make sure there are black rubber inserts. if just metal, I have read that the prop can come loose during flights. Thats why the 2nd generation of these props come with rubber screw threads to insure a tight fit with the props.

Yes. It's all I use now. Sounds little different but work and look great.
30324f2f33ab4efc19166d23b66516e4.jpg

Reactions: darthmogo
Flying them about 6 months. I have noticed quicker response to controls and quieter flight noise. Better overall stability when hovering. No additional speed or thrust. Way better than stock in my opinion.

Greetings,

On my P3P (May/2015), they fly better than plastic, more precise, more agile.

I noticed that about below -5oC, they were helping the shakes (since Firmware 1.5). Since January I'm flying plastic. They don't perform as good so, no more shaking.

Flying them about 6 months. I have noticed quicker response to controls and quieter flight noise. Better overall stability when hovering. No additional speed or thrust. Way better than stock in my opinion.

I Have both and i just went out and tested both again after reading this. My carbon fiber props I bought from Drone World is louder than my standard props that came with the P3P. I can't tell the difference at all in thrust or response time. Human eye cant detect it if it does make a difference. This is also my observation and opinion.

My 100% opinion is that you dont need them. They dont make one bit of difference. but it does look cooler... and to me that is worth a couple of bucks more. :)

This could be a dumb question, though after looking I haven't seen it asked: Has anyone tried swapping out a single or even two CW/CCW blades with the carbon fiber props to check out any differences? I'm going to try it after buying a single pair just to see if there's a difference in thrust, etc. Naturally, I'll just do a low hover flight because I'm not prepared to accept the quad's destruction. I like how they look, so unless the differences are major I'll eventually go with four carbon fiber blades.

One CCW and one CW propeller - anyone think it'll make a difference which arms to try this on?

This could be a dumb question, though after looking I haven't seen it asked: Has anyone tried swapping out a single or even two CW/CCW blades with the carbon fiber props to check out any differences? I'm going to try it after buying a single pair just to see if there's a difference in thrust, etc. Naturally, I'll just do a low hover flight because I'm not prepared to accept the quad's destruction. I like how they look, so unless the differences are major I'll eventually go with four carbon fiber blades.

One CCW and one CW propeller - anyone think it'll make a difference which arms to try this on?
I can find the thread where the guy put one carbon fiber prop on. After. I think we suggested he get a garbage bag to pick up the pieces.
Let me find that thread before you do that. :)

I've been using these (all black, carbon-reinforced props from DJI) for a while now too and most points have been covered here, some of which I'll confirm (as objectively as I can):

• Noticeably stiffer than stock white plastic..blades really don't flex in your hand
• quick lockup; while a stock prop might tighten an extra quarter turn after they first stop spinning freely, these really only move a few degrees and lock firmly
• Different sound in the air. Not sure the overall sound level is reduced appreciably but it seems there's less high frequency to it. I'd say more pleasant...if not strikingly so
• Not as balanced as I was hoping...mine shook at "idle" on maiden flight
• Performance differences are pretty negligible. I'd be inclined to say handling (esp weight transition) is a little more crisp and maybe there's an extra half minute of battery life, but in truth I doubt I could tell the difference in the air, and I haven't flown consistent enough patterns to make any empirical judgement on efficiency.
• Black hides the marks.

To be honest, I notice that last one the most. The black, matte finish, and not having wipe green marks off the leading edges any time I take off from tall grass seals the deal for me.

* for clarity's sake I'm talking about the composite carbon-reinforced props...no carbon weave, no metal hubs,

I can find the thread where the guy put one carbon fiber prop on. After. I think we suggested he get a garbage bag to pick up the pieces.
Let me find that thread before you do that. :)

That'd be great - I'll keep an eye out for em, and look for the post too - thanks.

The short answer is that you don't want to mess with the relative masses of the props because they spin opposite directions to counteract each other's rotational inertia; it's the reason these quads don't have tail rotors. Furthermore they actually use that inertia for yaw control by varying the relative RPM of CW and CCW sets.

Think about that for a second... there is no air being pushed to spin your craft around the yaw axis (i.e. panning); it's all done with inertial offset. Now watch how authoritatively your quad pirouettes with left stick input and you'll get an idea how big a deal this is on a multirotor.

Upsetting that rotational weight distribution is a great way to inherently unbalance the system, hamstring the flight controller, and generally invite all kinds of serious trouble.

Now thrust, strictly speaking, should be identical given the matching shape (length, profile, pitch) of the prop...acceleration differences due to mass/distribution are probably there but I'd be surprised if you could measure it even on a test jig....that'd be the sort of thing most observable through battery life, as it aggregates minute differences in work the motors are doing over the course of an entire flight. I honestly run out of aeronautical knowledge before commenting on flexibility...maybe someone else can.

Reactions: twenty4pack
The short answer is that you don't want to mess with the relative masses of the props because they spin opposite directions to counteract each other's rotational inertia; it's the reason these quads don't have tail rotors. Furthermore they actually use that inertia for yaw control by varying the relative RPM of CW and CCW sets.

Think about that for a second... there is no air being pushed to spin your craft around the yaw axis (i.e. panning); it's all done with inertial offset. Now watch how authoritatively your quad pirouettes with left stick input and you'll get an idea how big a deal this is on a multirotor.

Upsetting that rotational weight distribution is a great way to inherently unbalance the system, hamstring the flight controller, and generally invite all kinds of serious trouble.

Now thrust, strictly speaking, should be identical given the matching shape (length, profile, pitch) of the prop...acceleration differences due to mass/distribution are probably there but I'd be surprised if you could measure it even on a test jig....that'd be the sort of thing most observable through battery life, as it aggregates minute differences in work the motors are doing over the course of an entire flight. I honestly run out of aeronautical knowledge before commenting on flexibility...maybe someone else can.

lol

I still can't see the point in these. Speed and agilty are not really nessesary traits on a camera platfrom drone in my opinion. I would rather have a slow, smooth ride personally :)

Reactions: Kal1424
I am waiting for to arrive this week I will report back, But I do agree they look cool better the the white on white.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20