Anyone spent quality time with DJI carbon reinforced props?

Reaction score
I can find a billion threads on this, but most are 6 months old and people are just yelling at each other (kinda like the P4 forums lol).

So, now that they've been out for a while, does anyone have an updated or current opinion on them?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I can find a billion threads on this, but most are 6 months old and people are just yelling at each other (kinda like the P4 forums lol).

So, now that they've been out for a while, does anyone have an updated or current opinion on them?

I was thinking the same thing until I ran into a post implying that one of the DJI engineers posted in a forum somewhere that the carbon fiber props were marketing BS and the best props were the ones that come with it new. They were designed specifically for the aircraft. I don't know if this is true but it makes sense to me. I never found the source for this information.

I've had mine for a month or two now and done half a dozen flights. I feel like they give a bit of crispness to the flight and quiet the rotor churn some although I have no empirical way of comparing them to the stock. I agree with Wacker2611 - they are superb.

I've had mine a few months and really can't tell the difference from the stock white ones. They look better though....

Reactions: WetDog
I was thinking the same thing until I ran into a post implying that one of the DJI engineers posted in a forum somewhere that the carbon fiber props were marketing BS and the best props were the ones that come with it new. They were designed specifically for the aircraft. I don't know if this is true but it makes sense to me. I never found the source for this information.

Interesting. If you ever run across that post I'd like to read it.

Granted, *most* accessories are marketing BS for just about any product ;)

Reactions: Meta4
I am them using since I bought my P3 and fully happy with them.

I've had mine a few months and really can't tell the difference from the stock white ones. They look better though....

I've got 22 full battery flights on them. Kinda of the same story for me. I like the look of the black ones with the yellow stripes.

I have this perception that they bite the air a bit better for lift and forward pitch transitions. But I have no data to support that, so it might just be in my head.

They do sound a bit different for sure, especially when taking off at max lift. Makes me think something might be different about the shape of them. Or perhaps just the surface is different due to the different plastic compound.

Related question: On B&H Photo's site, they list the white striped props as "DJI 9450 Thrust Boosted 9" Self-Tightening Props for Phantoms" and they have a specific selection for "Not Thrust Boosted" and "Thrust Boosted". On DJI's site, they list the white striped ones as "9450 Self-tightening Propellers (Composite Hub, White with Gold Stripes)" and the black striped ones as "9450 Carbon Fiber Reinforced Self-tightening Propellers (Composite Hub, Black with Yellow Stripes)". No mention of "thrust boosted" on DJI's site.

Does anyone know if there really is such a thing as "thrust boosted" DJI props? I assumed all the 9450 props have the same 9 in length and 4.5 in pitch to them?

I've used a set of official DJI ones since about September.
They look less grubby than the white ones!
There's no obvious difference in how it behaves. In theory the reduced flexibility might suggest slightly more snappy and precise positioning at close range, while more flexible original set might almost act like 'suspension'?
Not really noticed any difference..
At close range the black ones seem a little quieter, but I suspect you can actually hear the phantom when it's further away with them on.
There is a different note to it which is quite striking at first.

The harder plastic is probably going to do more damage if you hit something.

Have no problem with them.

I'm not sure if they are better or not. Maybe they work better with a firmware upgrade...Lol!

They are stiffer, they are quieter. I see no gain in flying time. Perhaps it is a marginal improvement.

I got them because I'm hoping they are better quality and won't randomly fly off or break.

I got them because I'm hoping they are better quality and won't randomly fly off or break.
I'm curious. Do the standard white DJI props "randomly fly off or break"?

Reactions: dtokez
I'm curious. Do the standard white DJI props "randomly fly off or break"?
I have no idea but I've read some scary stories about props breaking so it's got me a little freaked out. I don't have insurance or anything so I bought the upgraded props to, if nothing else, give me peace of mind. It seemed like my chances were better with the upgraded props.

Someone mentioned in another thread that if you have the original shell (like I do) that the CF blades may contribute to the hairline cracks due to the lack of the "shock absorbing" nature of the plastic ones.

I flew my first 10 or so P3P flights with stock plastic props, then threw on the CF props. I've had them on for almost three months with over 80 flights in them. They are excellent, I've never had any issues at all.. They did require slight balancing with the Dubro balancer (like virtually all DJI props) but they were pretty good in general. Bird is a little more responsive with them versus the plastic props and looks a LOT better too. I also inspect the threads regularly, and make sure to hand tighten only when putting them on. I will probably take them to 100 flights and buy another set of the same..

They make more noise, but i cant tell the difference in performance.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl