Anyone recognize this Fine Upstanding Quad Pilot?

I was looking forward to learning a lot from the responses to all this, but, apart from a lot of finger pointing and slight of hand personal niggles and nudges and what other forums reactions (that didn't help one little bit) occurred I'm still at a loss to anything more than the first 3 pages.

I'm still of the opinion he may have been naughty for being around the other copters but then he wasn't so he wasn't, He saw, he left and the rest was about the others around him and their take/reaction and what they said and did.

In the end it seems there's not a lot going on here and he hopefully got some good footage, there was no harm and from the video there still was no harm, if it was slightly different there may have been but we don't do could-be may-be's, but we do don't we ;).

Re: Anyone recognize this A-Hole??

LuvMyTJ said:
So after watching the video two things were clear... A) the heli pilots are biased against UAV's as seen by his comments "we've been droned" and "where is that little bastard". B) the guy was nowheres near the heli's like the 50' claimed in the story and he brought it down quickly. So where was the issue other than the heli guys didn't like it? Yes he was flying higher than the 'guidlines' call for but there is no existing law that prevents him from flying at any height he wants.
So in conclusion, yes the UAV pilot was taking unnecessary risks and the full scale heli pilots were acting like fools also. They were spying on the public, exactly what the public says UAV's do. We all know most UAV cameras are wide angle without zoom, it appears the full scale heli could read a book in your hands from 1500' easily. Maybe we should ban all full scale heli cams?

And if you think about it, the news crew could of sent up a UAV and got better footage for a lot less money and man hours than a full scale heli.

PS - all aircraft have been asked to voluntarily report anything they see up in the sky with them including UAV's.
+100

news pilots are all pissy because they have competition in the skies. lol.. as stated before everyone is on a DRONE witch hunt. situations are being made up and we are being targeted for our hobby. I hope next time the people that think this guy was in the wrong, if you are out flying and some news helicopter has a hard on to capture you flying and target you as being a hooligan for doing what you like to do.Dont say we didn't warn you . This is nothing more than a targeted approach drafting laws that would make drones dangerous and illegal. The media is horrible, they are pawns of a specific well thought out agenda.

please people wake up. don't believe everything you see on tv.

Spiritskeeper said:
There is more here than most of us know. The Seattle area has a history with quads. The police were going to use them and the controversy got so big even they decided not to fly them.

We are getting involved in a regional fight. Well I am bowing out.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Poli ... l?mobile=y

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... e-program/

Once again, much ado about nothing. He did NOTHING legally wrong in the Space Needle flight, as evidenced by the lack of arrest by police.

Why are everyone's panties in a bunch?

sdtrojan said:
I could care less what they do in the UK (no offense, guys in UK) because their laws don't affect me, and the FAA has shown that they do not let the regulations of other countries dictate how they decide to regulate US airspace.
Actually they do- more often than you may think. After the 1978 crash in San Diego when a 737 ran into a Cessna 172, the FAA created the TCA - Terminal Control Area, and it's smaller brother the TSRA - Terminal Service Radar Area. In 1987 those terms were cancelled and the FAA adopted the ICAO names that today we know as Class B and Class C airspace, respectively. Other FAA rules have also been rewritten from time to time to "harmonize" (an ICAO term) the aviation rules between other countries.

Even some of the proposed sUAS rules, such as the 500 ft ceiling are intended to "harmonize" with pending UAS rules in other countries.

If this didn't happen there, it is bound to happen somewhere else time & time again. I think the full scale piolots are going to continue to say the sUAV flyers ( they say we're not piolots) are always going to do something wrong. Sure the UAV's will not ever replace a helo but there is so much more now that a UAV can do so much cheaper than a helo & they feel threatened.
I really did not see so much that the guy did so wrong. Looks like to me he was bugging out & tried to stay out of his way. If the helo flew from where he was on the ground & got between him & his quad, it would make sence to how erratic he looked to be flying to get back to where he took off from & try to make room for the helo. There really is no way to tell how close he got to the helo due to the telephoto lens. He could of been over a 1000' feet away & they make it look 150'.
We might get ready for more reports of this kind of stuff. Once the rules are made, anything like this will surely be reported as a near miss & the inquires will begin.

No doubt that guy was a complete irresponsible but that journalist should become a policemen instead. Also I did not like the zoom of their camera. Makes me wonder how many times these journalists have abused privacy. Maybe they should open an investigation on that because I'm sure they have a lots of tapes hidden in their offices.

djphantom2015 said:
No doubt that guy was a complete irresponsible but that journalist should become a policemen instead. Also I did not like the zoom of their camera. Makes me wonder how many times these journalists have abused privacy. Maybe they should open an investigation on that because I'm sure they have a lots of tapes hidden in their offices.

You know your'e probably not far wrong, where humans can they normally will and will deny it profusely, hence the saying.

djphantom2015 said:

I think your post sums up this thread!

Helicopter pilots, who were accustomed to having their own segment of the airspace, are now put into a position where they have to share three dimensional space with drones. A helicopter crash can kill the pilot. A drone crash isn't going to kill the operator.

Helo pilots are trained, licensed, and have a lot of rules to follow, unlike drone pilots. I can see where they're coming from.

Semi-offtopic, but can we take a moment to discuss/appreciate Silent's initial title for this guy?

'Fine Upstanding Quad Pilot'
... or:
'FUQuP'.

Bravo.

I'll be sure to use this when referring to anyone who may be negatively representing the hobby.

Morgon said:
Semi-offtopic, but can we take a moment to discuss/appreciate Silent's initial title for this guy?

'Fine Upstanding Quad Pilot'
... or:
'FUQuP'.

Bravo.

I'll be sure to use this when referring to anyone who may be negatively representing the hobby.
Just to be accurate the initial title was "Anyone recognize this A-Hole??"

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj