Anyone Monetize Their Footage on YouTube?

Reaction score
I am currently monetizing some videos on YouTube... Everything from repairing a dryer to ATV and truck and tractor videos... I realize that you need a 333 waiver to qualify for commercial use of a drone.
I am just curious if anyone else on this forum is monetizing their drone videos on YouTube? I want to purchase a P3S to video agricultural type footage as well as interesting local landmarks and monetize the videos.
Just seeing if anyone else is doing this.

That's my understanding.
There was the much publicised case back in March 2015 where an FAA official overstepped his authority and sent a warning letter but the FAA later came out and backed down on this.
I'm looking for details and will post them when I track it down.

OK ... here's a summary:
In fact, this distinction has been acted upon. According to dronejournalism.org, as of February 2014, the FAA had sent 17 cease and desist letters to drone operators in the United States since 2012. While most of those operators were in fact offering services for hire, as recently as March 2015, the FAA went a step further and sent a cease and desist letter to a hobbyist, Jayson Hanes, who uploaded video footage on YouTube that he had captured on his drone. The FAA figured that, while Jayson was not necessarily engaging in direct commercial activities, the fact that YouTube allows monetization of video uploads commercialized his video. Jayson maintained that he did not receive any money from Google, YouTube or any other party. The complaint to the FAA about Jayson came from a third party. The FAA often learns of drone video footage through third parties such as media websites or individuals who contact the agency directly.

It sounds draconian, but luckily the FAA wisened up quickly. While not citing Jayson’s or any other particular instance, the FAA issued a directive in April 2015 titled “Aviation-Related Videos or Other Electronic Media on the Internet,” where it noted that due to an “escalating number of videos or other electronic media posted to the Internet which depict aviation-related activities… the FAA must have acceptable evidence in support of all alleged facts in order to take legal enforcement action.” The directive reminded inspectors that media posted on the Internet is only “one form of evidence,” generally “not sufficient” on its own and most importantly, that inspectors themselves have “no authority to direct or suggest that electronic media posted on the Internet must be removed.” This is good news for you drone enthusiasts wanting to share your exciting, often breathtaking footage with the world.
Here's the FAA paper: http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/N_8900.292.pdf
Here's the relevant quote from it:
Inspectors are reminded that:
• Electronic media posted on the Internet is only one form of evidence which may be used to support an enforcement action and it must be authenticated;
• Electronic media posted on the Internet is ordinarily not sufficient evidence alone to determine that an operation is not in compliance with 14 CFR; however, electronic media may serve as evidence of possible violations and may be retained for future enforcement action; and
• Inspectors have no authority to direct or suggest that electronic media posted on the Internet must be removed.

Note: Electronic media posted on a video Web site does not automatically constitute a commercial operation or commercial purpose, or other non-hobby or non-recreational use.

If you made a booming business out of drone videos on Youtube and it came to the attention of the FAA, they may view that as commercial flying but if you're only making pocket money with recreational videos that's something else altogether.

Reactions: nd34567890
So if you would make money from your drone video's, it's saying that you can't - right? Basically, if you are flying to make money, it is commercial, I think anyway, so I don't.
I make money on my regular videos, enough to pay the bills every month plus I pay taxes on that money at the end of the year. So... if I did open up my drone videos for money on YT, I would definitely make money off of them to so - I don't have them monetized. The guy listed above wasn't receiving any money for whatever reason but I would with no doubt make $$$. After reading the FAA PDF, it sounds like if you're going to make money, then you can't monetize. Is this correct?
You might be able to get away with it but you could also call the FAA for clarification and let us know :)

Last edited:
OK ... here's a summary:
In fact, this distinction has been acted upon. According to dronejournalism.org, as of February 2014, the FAA had sent 17 cease and desist letters to drone operators in the United States since 2012. While most of those operators were in fact offering services for hire, as recently as March 2015, the FAA went a step further and sent a cease and desist letter to a hobbyist, Jayson Hanes, who uploaded video footage on YouTube that he had captured on his drone. The FAA figured that, while Jayson was not necessarily engaging in direct commercial activities, the fact that YouTube allows monetization of video uploads commercialized his video. Jayson maintained that he did not receive any money from Google, YouTube or any other party. The complaint to the FAA about Jayson came from a third party. The FAA often learns of drone video footage through third parties such as media websites or individuals who contact the agency directly.

It sounds draconian, but luckily the FAA wisened up quickly. While not citing Jayson’s or any other particular instance, the FAA issued a directive in April 2015 titled “Aviation-Related Videos or Other Electronic Media on the Internet,” where it noted that due to an “escalating number of videos or other electronic media posted to the Internet which depict aviation-related activities… the FAA must have acceptable evidence in support of all alleged facts in order to take legal enforcement action.” The directive reminded inspectors that media posted on the Internet is only “one form of evidence,” generally “not sufficient” on its own and most importantly, that inspectors themselves have “no authority to direct or suggest that electronic media posted on the Internet must be removed.” This is good news for you drone enthusiasts wanting to share your exciting, often breathtaking footage with the world.
Here's the FAA paper: http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/N_8900.292.pdf
Here's the relevant quote from it:
Inspectors are reminded that:
• Electronic media posted on the Internet is only one form of evidence which may be used to support an enforcement action and it must be authenticated;
• Electronic media posted on the Internet is ordinarily not sufficient evidence alone to determine that an operation is not in compliance with 14 CFR; however, electronic media may serve as evidence of possible violations and may be retained for future enforcement action; and
• Inspectors have no authority to direct or suggest that electronic media posted on the Internet must be removed.

Note: Electronic media posted on a video Web site does not automatically constitute a commercial operation or commercial purpose, or other non-hobby or non-recreational use.

If you made a booming business out of drone videos on Youtube and it came to the attention of the FAA, they may view that as commercial flying but if you're only making pocket money with recreational videos that's something else altogether.

I called CASA (Aussie version of FAA) asking about this, the response I got was some what of a grey area. CASA is more interested in making sure you fly the drone in a safe manner, if you upload video's to you tube and happen to get paid they don't care as long as the original intent was for recreational use

That's what I come up with as well here, a grey area. My original content, if I set it up to get paid, makes it commercial use because I will be making movies with them to get paid for them. I figure that it costs me around $300.00 to make and edit a 15 minute movie, but not seeing a return for my drone movies, even though it doesn't seem right to me, I will forfeit the return to stay on the right side of the law. So I leave the commercials off, make good drone videos and don't get paid for them. But I already have an established channel that pays the bills, so to me it's worth it to be able to continue making movies whether I get paid or not. I'm retired so I accept it.

So, if I plan monetize some hobbyist type videos, then I probably won't have any problems? I have been looking at the 333 waiver list, and it seems that it's about a 6 month waiting period. I still haven't purchased a drone yet, but really would like to add these to my monetized list on YouTube for a few extra cents a day... LOL!

So, if I plan monetize some hobbyist type videos, then I probably won't have any problems? I have been looking at the 333 waiver list, and it seems that it's about a 6 month waiting period. I still haven't purchased a drone yet, but really would like to add these to my monetized list on YouTube for a few extra cents a day... LOL!
Why not just apply for the 333 now then so it's all legal with no grey area at all?

Section 333 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I just happened to come across this news story that appears to be from March of last year. It appears that the FAA frowns upon merely loading your video onto YouTube.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I just happened to come across this news story that appears to be from March of last year. It appears that the FAA frowns upon merely loading your video onto YouTube.

That video is of the text above so old news....I wouldn't worry about YouTube at all....

So if you would make money from your drone video's, it's saying that you can't - right? Basically, if you are flying to make money, it is commercial, I think anyway, so I don't.
I make money on my regular videos, enough to pay the bills every month plus I pay taxes on that money at the end of the year. So... if I did open up my drone videos for money on YT, I would definitely make money off of them to so - I don't have them monetized. The guy listed above wasn't receiving any money for whatever reason but I would with no doubt make $$$. After reading the FAA PDF, it sounds like if you're going to make money, then you can't monetize. Is this correct?
You might be able to get away with it but you could also call the FAA for clarification and let us know :)

What is your channel on YouTube? How many views do you get? I would love to make a living that way, but read you need millions of views just to make $2,000....

That's what is addressed in the PDF - FAA letter above, they over stepped their authority because there was no money being made. So they came out with guidelines for their agents telling them to let it go and they backed away knowing that they have no say as long as no money is being made :)

What is your channel on YouTube? How many views do you get? I would love to make a living that way, but read you need millions of views just to make $2,000....

It's not the views, it's the views on the advertising, plus the viewer has to watch the entire commercial in order to get paid at all. It doesn't take millions of views but it does take 100's to start making any money. I didn't start my channel to make money but it pays for itself and then some. Plus when I started it a few years back, YouTube was paying a lot more to people then they are today.
Reed Lukens

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers