Anyone know wifi/ radio radius for Phantom 2 + GoPro 4Black?

Reaction score
I am strongly considering a purchase of yet another Phantom V2.0 equipped with the Gimbal 4 and a GoPro Hero 4 Black. I have read things to lead me to believe that operation/ flying radius is limited with this setup in comparison to, say, the Phantom 2 Vision I had been using up to this point. Can someone shine some light on this and/or recommend proper mods to allow for roughly 1000 m flight/ FPV radius.

THANKX!!!

Re: Anyone know wifi/ radio radius for Phantom 2 + GoPro 4Bl

If you are you looking at the P2 Non-Vision you will need to do your FPV over a 5.8GHz link. You cannot run the GoPro WiFi on thePhantom 2 NV because they both operate in the 2.4GHz band.

bighertz92 said:
I am strongly considering a purchase of yet another Phantom V2.0 equipped with the Gimbal 4 and a GoPro Hero 4 Black. I have read things to lead me to believe that operation/ flying radius is limited with this setup in comparison to, say, the Phantom 2 Vision I had been using up to this point. Can someone shine some light on this and/or recommend proper mods to allow for roughly 1000 m flight/ FPV radius.

THANKX!!!
1000m with the stock tx/rx isn't a problem. To get 1000m FPV, you'll want a good transmitter (IRC600 and TS353 are popular) with even better antennas (FPVLR are highly recommended). This setup is capable of 1000+ meters, but your mileage (no pun intended) will vary depending on interference of where you're flying. Flying in the city vs. a rural area will make a difference.

As mentioned, you should NOT run WiFi with non-Vision Phantoms.

Thank you for the feedback guys! So, just to make sure I am on the same page here, the DJI Pilot app will be of no use here as it is not compatible. The transmitter/ remote control coming with the phantom will simply need to be replaced in exchange for a product like the IRC600 or TS353 and by making this replacement, I will be able to fly via FPV.

Phantom + GoPro Hero 4 Black + after market transmitter = 1000m of solid flight radius in FPV

bighertz92 said:
Thank you for the feedback guys! So, just to make sure I am on the same page here, the DJI Pilot app will be of no use here as it is not compatible. The transmitter/ remote control coming with the phantom will simply need to be replaced in exchange for a product like the IRC600 or TS353 and by making this replacement, I will be able to fly via FPV.

Phantom + GoPro Hero 4 Black + after market transmitter = 1000m of solid flight radius in FPV
You do not need to replace the transmitter (RC) and receiver in order to get FPV. You will need to add a video transmitter (like the IRC600 or TS353) and purchase a monitor/receiver (RC801 and LCD5802 are popular).

Phantom 2 with stock radio + video transmitter + monitor with video receiver + GOOD antennas (not the stock antennas that come with both the video transmitter and receiver) + good conditions = 1000m flight and FPV range.

There's never a guarantee when it comes to range. The exact setup could perform 1500 meters in rural areas, then maybe 800 meters in urban Los Angeles or something.

Papa Juan said:
bighertz92 said:
Phantom + GoPro Hero 4 Black + after market transmitter + Mini iOSD = 1000m+ of solid flight radius in FPV with vastly superior video capture capabilities and no need for a smartphone app crutch

Yes, as edited above
I agree the video quality will surpass that of any Vision Phantom, but the app has its perks. Being able to remotely control the camera is nice. But for me, video quality > convenience.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl