Anyone into 3D printing parts for their Phantom?

Reaction score
I've printed off a lens cover/gimbal lock and some motor mount reinforcements so far. Just wondering what others have done and which parts you'd suggest.

My dream is to design out a motor mount reinforcement that doubles as a quick disconnect for easily removeable prop guards.

Attachments

• 20150909_111643.jpg
    20150909_111643.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 754
  • 20150914_103945.jpg
    20150914_103945.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 713
Reactions: Zoti
Only a lens cap - was going to draw a strong arm up but havent got around to it. Put some duct tape around the arms hoping that will help!

Do you have a link for the arm reinforcements? and what size screws did you need to use with them?

I have only made a lens cap gimbal lock. I would like to make more things for it but I can't think of what!

Printed a tablet holder extender and RC bracket to support the 10' tablet, blade box, two types of range booster (still to cover with aluminium) etc etc.
There are lots of parts already designed for the Phantom 3 on thingiverse. Most of the time you don't have to create them in a cad program, at best mod them.
Lots of different parts I still need to print - Improve the Gimbal lock (too tight on the camera), some sort of RC tray as the whole RC is getting pretty heavy to hold , sun shade (probably print a base around the tablet that allows to clip on cardboard) .... That's what's so neat with 3d printing.
P1100194.jpg

Printed a tablet holder extender and RC bracket to support the 10' tablet, blade box, two types of range booster (still to cover with aluminium) etc etc.
There are lots of parts already designed for the Phantom 3 on thingiverse. Most of the time you don't have to create them in a cad program, at best mod them.
Lots of different parts I still need to print - Improve the Gimbal lock (too tight on the camera), some sort of RC tray as the whole RC is getting pretty heavy to hold , sun shade (probably print a base around the tablet that allows to clip on cardboard) .... That's what's so neat with 3d printing.
P1100194.jpg
any links to your files? Like the idea of the blade box!

For the P3 I've printed a tablet sun screen, lens caps, antenna hole plugs (after DBSMod upgrade) and a gimbal/camera protector.

Is there any 3d files of the shell out there? Anyone got a scanner?

I've got a 3d scanner but my print bed isn't big enough for printing the complete shell. Not so sure I'd trust a 3d printed shell anyway unless it was nylon, and then I'd be concerned with the weight.

P1100194.jpg

Nice. That's my carry handle design but why did you print the handle flat and not round?

For the P3 I've printed a tablet sun screen, lens caps, antenna hole plugs (after DBSMod upgrade) and a gimbal/camera protector.

I've got a 3d scanner but my print bed isn't big enough for printing the complete shell. Not so sure I'd trust a 3d printed shell anyway unless it was nylon, and then I'd be concerned with the weight.

What scanner do you use? Is it big enough to scan the whole phantom? Could you post the result? Thinking of getting one but not sure how good they are (the DIY ones) and most can only scan smallish objects.

Nice. That's my carry handle design but why did you print the handle flat and not round?
Yes nice to see you are here - fits perfectly - thanks for posting it!
I'm thinking how to mod it to add the tablet + RC to view what you're filming and possibly using the tilt wheel - but weight will be a major issue I guess.
I printed it flat for 1 : prints faster - 2 : I'll use some round foam around it - but it actually works quite well like that.

Yes nice to see you are here - fits perfectly - thanks for posting it!
I'm thinking how to mod it to add the tablet + RC to view what you're filming and possibly using the tilt wheel - but weight will be a major issue I guess.
Yeah. It will be heavy. You can probably get away with just mounting a phone on it and then hang the RC on your belt.

Yeah. It will be heavy. You can probably get away with just mounting a phone on it and then hang the RC on your belt.
Thats an idea or possibly a rc tray - Want to build one anyway - have to look at some existing trays see if I find something that could be redesigned for the Phantom.

Thanks for the file zoti! For the shell scan it was more to use to draw around than print the whole shell. Printed props anyone?

Rather than selling a $3.00 part to fix a gimbal, DJI elects to replace the entire gimbal/camera assembly for $560 US. There should be a number of parts you can print and sell for a hefty price if they are rigid enough and cand withstand 100+ degrees F inside a hot car. In my case, I need the beam assembly which connects the p3p's camera to its gimbal.

Rather than selling a $3.00 part to fix a gimbal, DJI elects to replace the entire gimbal/camera assembly for $560 US. There should be a number of parts you can print and sell for a hefty price if they are rigid enough and cand withstand 100+ degrees F inside a hot car. In my case, I need the beam assembly which connects the p3p's camera to its gimbal.
DJI Phantom 3 Gimbal Repair Kit | DJI Phantom Forum

Bump on this... anyone ever come up with a motor reinforcement/removeable prop guard combo?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl