Anyone in the Kansas City Area?

Just got a P3A I also used to fly out there a lot and helped with the new field and shelter. They still have the club members only rule at the field. Lot of other good places around there though. You do have to have AMA or register thru FAA to fly anywhere.

I am registered with faa. I have gone there at least four times. Have you been recently?

I'm in Overland Park, have a P3P and a totally upgraded P4. Moved here from Seattle, have been flying since the P2V.
Have been beta testing Litchi of late. Would love to meet with drone friends in the area.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: scootrkitz
I'm in Overland Park, have a P3P and a totally upgraded P4. Moved here from Seattle, have been flying since the P2V.
Have been beta testing Litchi of late. Would love to meet with drone friends in the area.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Same here let's organize a meet up.

New drone, P3 owner, and OP resident.

I'm trying to find some places to fly on the weekends. I'm still new to KC, but remembered seeing an RC field out at SM Park. After talking with the person at the desk, he wasn't 100% sure, but he's been told by the police that drones cannot fly in the park (but I've seen allowances for RC cars, boats, planes, and rockets?). He also said to use the RC field, you have to be a member of the RC club - so that is a no go.

Is there anywhere in KC (KS or MO) that allows flying of drones for a newbie? I remember seeing someone a few months back flying in the front (Union Station side) of the WW1 museum.

New drone, P3 owner, and OP resident.

I'm trying to find some places to fly on the weekends. I'm still new to KC, but remembered seeing an RC field out at SM Park. After talking with the person at the desk, he wasn't 100% sure, but he's been told by the police that drones cannot fly in the park (but I've seen allowances for RC cars, boats, planes, and rockets?). He also said to use the RC field, you have to be a member of the RC club - so that is a no go.

Is there anywhere in KC (KS or MO) that allows flying of drones for a newbie? I remember seeing someone a few months back flying in the front (Union Station side) of the WW1 museum.

I've flown many times at sm Park never had an issue. They are saying they are not allowed there?

I did a night shoot at liberty memorial last Weekend. It was great. I posted a picture of one I did on the photo video thread check it out.

I've read about the club at the park. Having to pay for that Little space is reticulous and being careful is important. I'll give them a call tomorrow and talk to them.

I'm off this week, weather seems fair, so yes let's meet up.
Btw just beta tested Litchi waypoint to 1.5 miles out over heavy radio traffic area but there seems to be some glitch that keeps coming up.

Reactions: scootrkitz
I've flown many times at sm Park never had an issue. They are saying they are not allowed there?

I did a night shoot at liberty memorial last Weekend. It was great. I posted a picture of one I did on the photo video thread check it out.

I've read about the club at the park. Having to pay for that Little space is reticulous and being careful is important. I'll give them a call tomorrow and talk to them.

I can understand to pay for the airstrip for planes (better concrete, utilities, etc), but not necessarily for drones.

Yep that is the sum of it. The guy at the desk asked that I contact the SM visitor center during the week (sounds like he's a volunteer) but he's been told in the past that no drones.

Let me know what you find out, and I'll call in the next day or two to see if the stories match.

Bad news gents. I called the park this morning and the lady told me no drones allowed. I guess I've just gotten lucky the 5+ times I've flown there. We need to figure out a new spot.

What I don't understand is I'm allowed to fly at liberty memorial downtown where they have low flying helicopter tours and more crowded areas but I'm not allowed to fly at a big safe open Park. How does that make sense?

Just remembered, earlier this year, I did see someone flying a drone on the front lawn of the WWI museum (the Union Station side).

And isn't there a large open area along the river East of the City Market area?

I was talking with someone I work with, and their friend indicated that for the most part, you have to be a member of the AMA for the most part to find places to fly (they have a list published).

So, the $75 a year might be worth it to fly.

One other question - does anyone know if places like the Longview Lake area allow drones?

Just remembered, earlier this year, I did see someone flying a drone on the front lawn of the WWI museum (the Union Station side).

And isn't there a large open area along the river East of the City Market area?

I was talking with someone I work with, and their friend indicated that for the most part, you have to be a member of the AMA for the most part to find places to fly (they have a list published).

So, the $75 a year might be worth it to fly.

One other question - does anyone know if places like the Longview Lake area allow drones?
Longview Lake has a RC field off Sampson Road or at least they did. It was called Stamn ? field I think. I used to fly there a lot when I was flying rc planes. They also had some helis fly there. You had to be a member of AMA and have a park permit to fly there. I haven't been there in years .

Thanks Monte.
Welcome. It is or was a grass runway....had the frequency flag stand. We poured concrete in the pits. Nice parking lot. We use to have a lot of events there. I think the park permit was about $30 a year. Gliders would fly in a field across parking lot. It was a nice place. Not too busy. Lake Jacomo has a really nice field. Blacktop and grass. Haven't been there in a long time either. The only problem there was it was mainly pattern fliers and they kinna hated everyone that wasn't.

Was at my sons house in Olathe today and saw a drone flying overhead near 116th and ridgeview. Any of you guys?

Thought I would breathe new life in this post. Anything new going on in KC? I have today, Thursday and Friday off if anyone wants to get together somewhere. I was thinking of either trying WyCo park (not the lake). It's been a few months since I've been out and my job just installed a new zip line so the owner is bugging me to get some aerial footage of it in motion. Need some practice.

Thought I would breathe new life in this post. Anything new going on in KC? I have today, Thursday and Friday off if anyone wants to get together somewhere. I was thinking of either trying WyCo park (not the lake). It's been a few months since I've been out and my job just installed a new zip line so the owner is bugging me to get some aerial footage of it in motion. Need some practice.
Did you get out? I was working I did get a chance to go to Pierson park (with my 4yr old Granddaughter) and got in a short flight before she got bored...:)

Did you get out? I was working I did get a chance to go to Pierson park (with my 4yr old Granddaughter) and got in a short flight before she got bored...:)
No, work called me back in. Another 13 hour day. I need to get out and practice some as the owner wants me to film some stuff around our facility. My flight skills are a bit rusty. Lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic