Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Anyone Hydrocoat your Phantom yet?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by FASTFJR, Dec 4, 2013.

1. FASTFJR

Hydrocoating is getting pretty big, you can buy kits for $50.00. Just wondering if anyone has coated their Phantom?

2. myvrodrocks

Would love to know more about it ...

3. FASTFJR

4. Bwells

This is not my Phantom, but from a member of the Phantom Vision Owner group on Facebook. He just finished his project and I thought it was really cool. I knew nothing of hydrocoating today, and after watching videos and finding someone locally here that does it, I am definitely doing this.

Attached Files:

5. myvrodrocks

Not sure I get it. What's the point? Just a neat paint job? Don't get me wrong. I think it looks great. But the name led me to believe it was some type of protection against water. Therre is a spray that you can coat yoir electronics with to waterproof.

6. Bwells

The process of hydrodipping, hydrocoating is really cool. Watch this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKuXyeAGzEU

7. shartlza

How could you do this without completely taking out all the electronics in the PV. You couldn't just dip the whole thing in water. I am sure most people would not feel comfortable dipping a $1200 electronic device into water (slowly at that). Also most people would not feel comfortable taking apart a $1200 toy either.

Just do a vinyl wrap or get artistic with some plasti dip. The good thing about both of these is you can just peel it off if you screw up or want a different look as well as it being inexpensive. Just my .02 cents.

8. Bwells

I just took mine apart in about 10 minutes. For most the tinkering is probably not worth it if you are not comfortable putting it back together.

9. dkr77573

How much weight would this add?

10. Ezookiel

I'm pretty sure mine is just hydrodipped - or something like it.
    Still awaiting the one leg that wasn't in stock, to arrive, so the legs match.

Attached Files:

11. Cyclone

From the 2 pictures above, the Hydrocoat looks ok. I dont think I'd like mine like that.

BUT the lights on the legs got a wow from me, they look awesome.

12. LostAngel

I am considering doing this on my next Phantom 2. Is there a way to do the batteries? Does the cap come off, or can it be submerged without damage?

13. Ezookiel

With how often we replace batteries, that could become quite a pain to keep up with. Best to go with a pattern that doesn't conflict too much with a big white rectangle from the battery.
    I like the big white patch from the battery, it helps me with working out orientation at a distance, though FPV makes that unnecessary most of the time.