Anyone heard of "Drone Pilot Ground School"- UAV Coach $

Hello,

Brand new user and UAV operator here !!!!!! I have been learning so much over the last few days, like drinking from a firehose. I'm so excited about it all.

I know someone who has their Remote licence and this is defiantly something I want to pursue.

He took an online course: uavgroundschool.com which cost $250 and good for 4 years (which covers 2 re-certs).

I then found remotepilot101.com which for $99 will cover the same material. This plan is good for life (ie. new updates will be sent to you)

$99 is the absolute lowest I have found. I'm kinda wondering if this is too good to be true. Kinda like you get what you pay for.

However, I thought I would ask here see if anyone has any first hand experience with either.

Thanks,

I like UAV Coach because I'm always getting emails when Alan adds stuff to the course or just important information that we need to know.

Thanks, not saying it's not good. But that one is more pricey than the two I mentioned

It all adds up: Drone price and accessories, course, taking the test etc.

How long is his course good for though you kinda answered it (he always sends emails). Of the two I mentioned one was for life, the other 4 years.

Thanks again
p.s. I just reviewed his website again. It's good for 5 years

Thanks,

I appreciate it..... Curious why all the others are in the $200+ range and this one is only $99. I'm a bit shy and nervous about going with them. Kinda that "get what you pay for" mentality.

Reactions: Jonathan Huff
Agree, I was talking about the online courses. None of those locations are near me now or in the future.

I want to get started fairly quickly. I'm also off thanksgiving week so a good time to get alot of it done :)

My Phantom 4 Advanced arrives Sat. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning to arrive :)

Gold Seal also constantly updates its course material. It has an extremely sophisticated cloud-based tracking system that allows you to instantly see when new material is added.

Awesome..> Good to know.. That's kinda what I was looking for.

I'm off thanksgiving week/weekend and hope to get a lot of this done then :)

Thanks,

I appreciate it..... Curious why all the others are in the $200+ range and this one is only $99. I'm a bit shy and nervous about going with them. Kinda that "get what you pay for" mentality.
I looked into all the others also. They all offer pretty much the same material just at different prices. Soo..why not go with the cheaper one! I was completely clueless when I started the remotepilot101 course, studied for 2 weeks and passed with a 90%

Reactions: DeputyDawg
So a colleague of mine used one of the more expensive ones. I showed him remotepilot101 (specifically the listed topics etc). He said they were identical.

So this is a case where cheaper is better

The FAA has a Remote Pilot Study Guide that is free!
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

The FAA also has a 41 question practice test (with no answers)

There is a very good free answer sheet with explanations of the questions at the Rupprecht Law drone site
Free Part 107 Test Study Guide For FAA Remote Pilot Airmen Certificate - Drone Law Attorney Services - Rupprecht Law, PA

I found this to be incredibly helpful to raise my confidence levels.

I had been doing the Gold Seal School and I was very satisfied with the program. I had signed up before 107 became law and the cost was only $150. It is pretty extensive. I struggled with the weather part. I was looking for other practice tests and found the above two sites.

I took my test on Friday and passed with 87%. Most of my mistakes were silly or weather related The one question I never saw covered was about marijuana. Apparently you can lose your license if you are convicted of possession of marijuana. I guessed that this was a criminal act not covered by the FAA. I got my temporary license on Wednesday.

Reactions: DeputyDawg
So a colleague of mine used one of the more expensive ones. I showed him remotepilot101 (specifically the listed topics etc). He said they were identical.

So this is a case where cheaper is better
Yes..in my opinion. I was just going to use the free stuff from the FAA..which is very good and has a lot of the material in there, but it did not help me at all when it came to the charting and weather. After watching the videos 1 time on remotepilot101 I understood it with no problems.

If you're looking for a free sample test, we just put a new one on our homepage at:
www.UAVGroundSchool.com

No signup needed. Just click the button and go.

Last edited:
I used 'Drone Pilot School, UAV Coach'...took about a month with the course and passed with a 94%,,,'nuff said.

So I'm gathering RemotePilot101 was good stuff?

I think I'm going to give it a shot.

which one did you end up using? I am in the same boat and remotepilot101 does look appealing. Before I came across them Gold Seal was looking very strong and with the garantee to pass or they pay for it.

I am stongly considering remotpilot101 if its just as good and only $99. Im interested to hear the route you took and if you took the test yet

which one did you end up using? I am in the same boat and remotepilot101 does look appealing. Before I came across them Gold Seal was looking very strong and with the garantee to pass or they pay for it.

Gold Seal also gives you something the competition does not: a free test drive. You don't have to pay before you can see behind the curtain with Gold Seal. Register for free and take the first three lessons completely without charge. It is really important that you see what you're paying for before pulling out your credit card. With everyone else, pay first, THEN you get to see what's involved.

And as mentioned above, Gold Seal has a sample test you can take without even signing-up:

FAA Part 107 Ground School

Last edited:
So looks like the Ground School one is having a sale for cybermonday until tonight for 192...I'm new to the drone game but am looking to eventually go commercial with it - final thoughts on this school? I figure I can study about 10-15 hours a week with my job, family, and other obligations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31