Anyone heard of "Drone Pilot Ground School"- UAV Coach $

Hello,

I signed up for this course, during the $50 discount that they had running. It's nice to have all of the material in one place, it is focused on the requirements of the part 107 test. You get 5 practice tests and a couple of other modules on starting up a commercial business, etc. I would rate it about a 7 out of 10. It seems that the two most challenging parts of the test (for me anyways) are interpreting weather reports and reading sectional charts.

There are a few threads here that have links to a sites that cover the topics in the test. I chose to purchase the training and use the FAA test along with other sites to prepare.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I am using remotepilot101.com, he gave an online seminar and then there was an offer to sign up for the online training for $99 for the first 1000 people , so far I love it. i just looked and its still $99

Here is the info on the CFI who teaches the classes:

About Your Webinar Presenter (excerpt from Wikipedia)
Jason Schappert is a pilot and author of 8 best selling aviation flight training books. He is a CFII and ATP rated. Jason was named AOPA’s Top Collegiate Flight Instructor in 2008 and Outstanding Flight Instructor of the year in 2014 & 2015. He is also the producer of an innovative online piloting school, known as MzeroA.com’s Online Ground School. As a flight instructor with over 8,000 hours of dual given (instruction given time).
Schappert began flying at age 12, and did his first solo flight at 16. He subsequently became a flight instructor, and earned all the ratings up to ATP, including private pilot certificate, instrument rating, and Commercial Pilot Certificate. Schappert currently flies a Cessna 172.
Jason was named National Intercollegiate Flying Association (NIFA) Top Collegiate Flight Instructor in 2008 and 2012. In 2009 he created a program called Future Pilots Flight Academy for aviation-minded youth in conjunction with the Discovery Science Center.
He was named AOPA‘s Outstanding Flight Instructor of the year in 2014 & 2015.
Schappert Produced the Flying Again Movie featuring rusty pilots who have not flown anywhere from 2 to 30 years. This effort was then featured on the TV series The Aviators.
Jason Schappert

Last edited:
Reactions: Wright Flight
jephoto while I can't comment directly on the company you asked about I can (and will) comment on the Gold Seal program mentioned above.

First I want to say I am 100% unaffiliated with any UAS training organization. I have my own UAS business and I am a Part 61 certificated pilot (19 years now) and I have already taken (and passed LOL) the Part 107 Online for part 61 holders.

With that being said I felt like it was a good idea to look around and get a feel for what other new Commercial UAS operators are learning. The last thing I want to do is go from being ahead of the pack to getting trampled by the pack as they pass me by. For this reason I set out to research the crop of UAS study/training courses available. Let me just say this... they vary from "I wish I hadn't clicked on their link crappy" up to "This is EXACTLY what UAS training should be" with a lot of variation in between. These "companies" (and I say that with tongue in cheek as I'm confident at least a few of them are total SCAMMERS) are popping up almost daily and some of them are already out of date. If you don't eat, sleep, and breathe this subject matter and merely take a week off from it you're already behind. The FAA has already updated their subject matter 2x in the last couple of weeks and we're still 2 weeks from the Aug 29th release of the tests.

Let's suffice to say that I stopped looking after I reviewed the course materials and format that Gold Seal has created. For one thing it felt "comfortable/familiar" to what I took back in the day to get ready for Part 61 testing. I purchased (for a LOT of $$) the complete set of training VHS videos (that gives you an idea of date) from Sprorty's Pilot Shop. This was long before the interweeb so I had a paper catalog and I called a human being and ordered a huge box of training materials. As soon as I started checking out Gold Seal's program I decided to stick around and dig deeper (the others I just took a few notes and kept going).

I started researching Gold Seal and how they work and what I really liked is they are FAA Certified Flight Instructors who have a passion for UAS. There is a LOT to be said for CFI's. They generally have a passion for flying and for teaching. This helps a lot because Aviation/Flight isn't knowledge we are born with and sometimes, some people just aren't able to digest information and give it back in a way that the normal person can absorb. Now we have UAS enthusiasts who have the heart of a teacher AND they understand what/how the FAA does in their testing structures. At this point we have a Win-Win-WIN situation and we've not even watched the first video yet.

I joined the Gold Seal course and started browsing through the videos. They are superbly done and the information is easily digestible. The graphics make sense and give the exact information needed for the subject matter at hand without giving you too much. Trust me when I say Aviation can become overwhelming in about 2.5 seconds when you're being bombarded with new terms, processes, and definitions all at once.

So I'm currently going through the whole training module from Gold Seal and I can't find a single thing I would change. I honestly feel like anyone who will take the time to follow this process and invest in the study/test/study process has an excellent chance of passing it the FIRST time and you'll be ready for your next 2 BFR's as well.

Take this write-up for what you paid for it... but as for me I'll be completing the study course through Gold Seal and highly suggest others at least look into this option.

Sincerely,
Allen

Thanks Allen. This is why I'm asking. I also firgures that there's going to be a range from "What I really need" to crappy to outright scams.
And not being a pilot, and not wealthy, I can't afford to make an error. If I do a training course I want it to be worth it. Time and money.

Reactions: BigAl07
Drone Pilot ground school.
Your Instructor
zH81GqAEQy2SmSnCnt8D_alan-perlman.jpg

Alan Perlman
Alan Perlman founded UAV Coach back in 2014 to help new drone pilots break into the sUAS industry. He's held an FAA Section 333 Exemption since March 2016 and logs flight hours on a wide variety of models. When he’s not behind the computer or outside flying, he’s likely playing with his dog Bleeker.

Alan is a graduate of Washington University in St. Louis. Earlier in his professional career, he ran a boutique marketing agency, built a customer certification program for a publicly-traded marketing software company and traveled to 50+ countries as a cost-of-living research analyst.

As for the comment that he probably never passed an FAA test. Unless he's flat lying I should say he certainly has. A 333 would do him no good without a pilots license.
I'm using his course and I'm satisfied with it.

Save your money. There's already some good info out there for free. Browse the forums and you'll find an ATP rated CFI who has some videos out there to help pass the test. If you're not in a hurry I bet all the information on how to pass the test will be out there for free. The same way on how to get a 333 exemption.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ray of Light
Not in super hurry. It's going to take some time to actually LEARN what I need to know.....
Starting from scratch here. The more I learn about it, the more I realize this isn't going to be a FAST thing.

Reactions: BigAl07
Not in super hurry. It's going to take some time to actually LEARN what I need to know.....
Starting from scratch here. The more I learn about it, the more I realize this isn't going to be a FAST thing.
That's exactly how you SHOULD approach this. It shouldn't be a cram session where you learn all the possible answers (which probably won't work as the questions will have maps, charts etc where you have to calculate/formulate the correct answer). It should be where you learn the processes to come up with the right answers.
As for the comment that he probably never passed an FAA test. Unless he's flat lying I should say he certainly has. A 333 would do him no good without a pilots license.

This is the only time I'm going to comment on this as it's a moot point beyond this....

If he isn't saying he's an FAA Certified Pilot he's not lying about it. He might merely be stating he has his Section 333 Exemption and nothing more. Many... many MANY people are using that very same "marketing concept" and it's "accurate".

Anyone can be "granted" a Section 333 Exemption but in order to fly within it you much be at least a Sport Pilot and be current at the time of the flight. It's been well documented where people and companies who do NOT have any pilot certification get their 333 Exemption and then hire a licensed pilot to be PIC.

Ironically all FAA Certified pilots (actually even student pilots who have a student certificate) are listed online in the FAA's database. What's ironic is Mr. Alan Perlman does NOT appear to be listed by the FAA with having a pilot's certificate. There is one entry of a name that could be him but that name was never issued a pilot's certificate. Maybe he started his pilot training and never went any further. Don't take my word for it go and search it yourself because I could have made a mistake. My search on the FAA database only returned one name similar with no FAA Pilot Certificates.

Personal Information
ALAN ROBERT PERLMAN
Medical No Medical Available.

Certificates: None

Here's what you get when you pull up mine:

Personal Information
ALLEN CRAIG NEWLAND
Medical Class: Third

Date of Issue: 10/6/2015
Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT
Ratings:
PRIVATE PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND

Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.

I'm not saying anything about this guy's training as he may be the best in the nation for all I know. Heck he could be the nicest and most intelligent guy on the planet I have no clue. I just wouldn't bet my whole farm on his FAA and testing experience if he doesn't even show up in the FAA Pilot database.

I'm using his course and I'm satisfied with it.
Really that's all that matters. If you feel comfortable with your training and you feel confident then nothing else matters so long as you're able to pass the exam. Again I stress that I'm not questioning Mr. Perlman's abilities what so ever just stating that for some reason he doesn't show up in the FAA Certificate Directory or at least I didn't locate him.

Save your money. There's already some good info out there for free. Browse the forums and you'll find an ATP rated CFI who has some videos out there to help pass the test. If you're not in a hurry I bet all the information on how to pass the test will be out there for free. The same way on how to get a 333 exemption.

LOL

Getting the 333 Exemption was a simple "request and grant" process. There was no testing.. no verification of even a pulse. If you were able to copy/paste the right information and put your name and address in the right blanks you were granted the 333 Exemption.

Part 107 is a genuine Knowledge Test and as such will most likely require you to know a few things about HOW to come up with the right answers to situations rather than just study an answer bank. The FAA did away with those type of tests many moons ago.

Reactions: Falcon900
Don't bother studying yet. The FAA and the Drone Industry association are already changing the test questions and study guides. While its great that Actual Airplane Flight Instructors are teaching some of these ground school course, you should actually consider taking flying lessons from Drone Pilot Instructors, Cause getting your 107 is important, but not crashing your drone, and offering professional services after you get your 107 is just as important.
As for Alan Perlman, he is one of the Drone Authorities in this emerging business. He been offering invaluable information through his news letters, blog and at trade shows, pretty much since the 1st DJI Phantom came our about 4 years ago.

If you wish to take the Part 107 test, you do need to prepare now. The FAA test is based on the Remote Pilot Airman Certification Standards and won't be changing appreciably. I'm not sure about the statement "the FAA and drone industry are already changing the test questions and study guides". There is nothing to indicate this. My suggestion is to stick with training programs developed by FAA flight instructors. Otherwise, you'll get your training from someone who knew nothing more than you a month ago. Do you really want to learn about airspace operations and radio communications from someone who has never taken an FAA exam before? That's called "the blind leading the blind".

I've taken 4 different "ground schools" all of them had faults. I expected as much since I was taking the training based on a Rule that doesn't go into effect until August 29. I found the Drone Pilot School to be really well done. Lots of presentations. Could I have found this stuff elsewhere on my own? Sure. Not sure I would find it all in one place. Won't do you any good just studying 107 because you also need to know a lot or "private pilot" stuff as well.

While Alan is the face of the school and the one actually delivering the material he said that in an email: "The course is taught online, and entirely self-paced, meaning you can go through it at your own pace. Our instructor, Dennis O’Hara, has a 20-year career in aviation and education." I've had a lot of interaction with Alan and none with Dennis. I completed the course. As a bonus, he has you do a flight test, nothing overly complicated (and not really required by the FAA) and he also has a presentation by a "drone lawyer" which was interesting. This was the second "ground school" that I took and by far the best of the four) Alan is very responsive to questions. Because I had taken a previous course, I believe my discount was to around $219.

I'm also using the Android App Dauntless Ground School for Remote Pilots. Nice to have it on my phone and I can take a practice test anywhere anytime. Does a great job of explaining the test question and you can set that information for only the one's you get wrong or for all of them. This was about $40.

Also signed up with ASA's Prepware Online. Basically another online practice exam site. I believe this was $40.

The forth one ( the one I actually took first) was CTI "Exam Prep for FAA Small Unmanned Aerial Systems (sUAS) Test. This one had some great information but was already out of date by the time I took it. It looks like they have updated part of the course since I've taken it. It looks like the original course I took was based on the first draft 107 that from around Feb. If I remember correctly it had a different altitude limit than what is currently going into affect. The instruction was delivered by an actual pilot and he was really good. I did learn a trick or two. I believe this was $80.

I've also read over material collected by Sara Nilsson. She has done an interesting job of putting together a free training site in about 9 modules. See Sarah Nilsson - UAG Test Prep - 1.

Did I need to take all of these courses? No. But I tend to do over information and all of this was interesting. I think just as important (perhaps even more so) is to practice flying. I like to fly with GPS for a nice stable platform but I also practice with it in Atti.

Testimonial: I signed up for Drone Pilot Ground School. I have never earned a pilot license before, and even though I found and reviewed all of the recommended study resources provided by the FAA for free (e.g., the Remote Pilot Study Guide, the Aeronautical Information Manual, the UAG Sample Exam, and also purchased the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge), I was willing to pay for a course that would help me to focus on the areas that needed the most emphasis. I went through all of the video lectures at least once (most of them I watched two or three times), and read the printed out text of the lessons as well. I took all of the post-lecture quizzes and I took all five of the full-length practice tests that are provided by the course. I took my time to really learn the material and, all-in-all, I probably studied about 60 hours. I took my test today (just got home an hour ago) and passed it. While I am bound not to discuss any specifics about the test, I will say that, in my opinion, Mr. Perlman's course was instrumental in preparing me for this test and I consider it money well-spent.

Hey Keith, that's good to hear. I took the Drone Pilot Ground School and the owner has been johnny on the spot in answering my many questions. I'm taking it tomorrow on the first day it is available in my town. Small shop and they only offer testing on Wed and Thurs!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers