Anyone have any thoughts on this P3 crash?

Reaction score
Well, not long after getting my P3P back I crashed it. Although today it was only partial user error, and I was able to catch it before it had a major collision with the ground. All is well.

But here's what was going on that preceded the crash. I ran a few simulator flights this morning and everything about the drone, remote and battery checked out fine. When I got to the site today the "upgrade battery firmware" alert popped up. Now, I had to do this shoot so I pressed on. (my error, for sure.)

But oddly, at times with my Phantom ony 15' away from me, flying at a staggering altitude of 4', I would get the alert that my drone had exceeded the maximum distance, or something along those lines; but the alert was intermittent.

So, as you can see from the boring video clip below, the bird decided to do its own thing, and its own thing took it directly upward into a tree branch. Prior to that, I was experiencing some drift as the P3 didn't hover as well as normal. It might drift 3' to the left or to the right, making flying it around all these trees pretty dicey.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here are my questions:
1) I had the drone serviced in Miami. They did all the updates but the batteries weren't updated as the firmware that they used was not on my SD card. Could this entire issue be because of the battery firmware not being updated?
2) How do I update the firmware now? Should I just download the update and insert micro SD into the P3. My understanding is that the batteries will update automitically to the firmware that is on the card. Is this true?
3) Could the issues be a sign that the IMU needs to be calibrated?

My guess is that when my P3P darted upward is was going into RTH mode, having lost connection due to "exceeding maximum" distance for a certain amount of time.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here so we can see what happened.

How do I update the firmware now?
Follow the instructions here.

Could the issues be a sign that the IMU needs to be calibrated?
That could have been the cause of the drifting, but it wouldn't have made it dart straight up into the trees.

I figured out to do the firmware upgrades but the one thing I haven't yet figured out is how to access the flight logs. I believe I've downloaded the right drivers for Windows 10 but my PC still doesn't recognize the P3 when I plug it in.

What am I missing here? To enter flight data mode, I'm instructed by DJI Go app to "connect the aircraft with a computer by USB port." Is there another way to get the TXT flight log?

From the way it acted it looks like it initiated return to home and was going to return home flying height when it hit the tree. Possibly low battery

Sent from my iPad using Phabulous PhantomPilots mobile app

Yeah, I think that is what caused the accident with the tree. Completely operator error. I have calibrated the IMU in hopes that the drifting is corrected and now all my batteries are updated. What about the signal loss though? That's very disturbing to me.

OK, it looks like (to no one's surprise) that mot of my issues were just that....me issues. After receiving my P3 back from having it serviced, the settings had been changed to default, I'm guessing. So the "out of range" I was gettng was because the P3 was 30 meter from the home point, even though I was 12' away. I did not calibrate the compass when I received my Phantom back, but I'm sure they did in Miami when they flew it.

I still have no explanation for the "weak RC signal" alert I get in the upper left of the Go app, but it seems like lots of people are getting that after the latest firmware upgrade too. The alert is intermittent and doesn't seem to actually affect anything.

After doing everything I could find to do: calibrate the compass, calibrate the IMU, calibrate the gimbal, turn off the Wifi on my Ipad mini (who knew?), everything seems to be as good as ever, apart from the "weak signal" notification.

Thanks for the input, inputters!

Hitting the tree, was definitely dead battery (RTH), you started out with a dead battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers