Anyone friend crash drone?

Reaction score
Anyone ever lend a friend the controls to the drone and they end up crashing it? I've let many people take control of my Phantom 3 and I feel they can't **** up as long as it's high enough and within our sight. However I don't let people attempt to fly it low if they just want to try it out.

I let my friend who probably is the main guy who asked to drive my drone the most and yeah I let him. Every other time he was totally fine and never got close to crashing. But this time for the Super Bowl party, he has crazy ideas like trying to land it on the roof of house. Which was stupid because it's inclined so I told him no. Then later I let him fly again and he's speeding around and laughing his *** off, which was fine with me because I put the drone above all trees & light poles. But then he brings the drone down to an unsafe level and I told him to bring it back up. He doesn't listen to me, books the drone past our house, and crashes it into a tree.

The only drone he ever bought was for his dad's Christmas gift, like some $100 drone from Brookstone. Which is ******* a waste of money their drone was barely flyable and it won't return home. I have no idea how he thinks a $100 brookestone drone is a replacement for a DJI drone, or why he doesn't just buy one. He could find one on Craigslist for cheap if he tried hard enough instead of taking his money to Brookstone and getting shitty stuff.

There's no point to get mad at him or criticize him, all I want him to do is try to repair it with his engineering friend or buy the drone off me. The drone still flies though, but it's still has scratches.

The problem with handing over the control to a so call friend is that he/she has no true idea of the value of drone as it was your hard earn cash that purchase it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

You let him continue after you should reasonably have known what the outcome was going to be.

Think twice in future, be prepared for the outcome.

At least nobody was injured. That's the most important thing.

As long as it still flies and has no broken pieces then all good. A few scratches are just cosmetic. If he don't buy it off you, gets an attitude with you for you asking, best let it go. Is your friendship worth price of the drone? I'd take this opportunity to maybe fill in the scratches, give it a paint job and call it a mistake. And he don't fly it again. Live and let live, we all make mistakes, but the key is to learn from them and make he best out of it

Reactions: niyochi
As long as it still flies and has no broken pieces then all good. A few scratches are just cosmetic. If he don't buy it off you, gets an attitude with you for you asking, best let it go. Is your friendship worth price of the drone? I'd take this opportunity to maybe fill in the scratches, give it a paint job and call it a mistake. And he don't fly it again. Live and let live, we all make mistakes, but the key is to learn from them and make he best out of it

its more than a few scratches..... Friend crashed my drone, can he fix?

Does he have a car? Take a ride in that and crash that into a tree [emoji6]
Just kidding... But sorry to hear about that. Sounds like he may have had a few beers as it was after the super bowel

Neon Euc

Anyone ever lend a friend the controls to the drone and they end up crashing it? I've let many people take control of my Phantom 3 and I feel they can't **** up as long as it's high enough and within our sight. However I don't let people attempt to fly it low if they just want to try it out.

I let my friend who probably is the main guy who asked to drive my drone the most and yeah I let him. Every other time he was totally fine and never got close to crashing. But this time for the Super Bowl party, he has crazy ideas like trying to land it on the roof of house. Which was stupid because it's inclined so I told him no. Then later I let him fly again and he's speeding around and laughing his *** off, which was fine with me because I put the drone above all trees & light poles. But then he brings the drone down to an unsafe level and I told him to bring it back up. He doesn't listen to me, books the drone past our house, and crashes it into a tree.

The only drone he ever bought was for his dad's Christmas gift, like some $100 drone from Brookstone. Which is ******* a waste of money their drone was barely flyable and it won't return home. I have no idea how he thinks a $100 brookestone drone is a replacement for a DJI drone, or why he doesn't just buy one. He could find one on Craigslist for cheap if he tried hard enough instead of taking his money to Brookstone and getting shitty stuff.

There's no point to get mad at him or criticize him, all I want him to do is try to repair it with his engineering friend or buy the drone off me. The drone still flies though, but it's still has scratches.

Sorry, but you brought this on yourself........you really didn't see this ending good did you?

About 3 years ago, my buddy flew my P1 into a tree. It was smoking when we got to it. I could tell he felt bad but didn't say anything about repair costs.

He showed up at my place a few days later and asked what I thought it would cost to fix it. I'd already sent it to a repair place so I knew how much. He wrote me a check on the spot.

He's one of my oldest friends. I wasn't going to ask for compensation, but turns out, I didn't have to.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimbo3n8
He's one of my oldest friends.I wasn't going to ask for compensation, but turns out, I didn't have to.
I have a couple of friends and family members like that and they would be the only people I would hand over the RC to.

On another note I don't like flying with other people around because I tend to either show off or get distracted, both of which could lead to me crashing the thing :)

On another note I don't like flying with other people around because I tend to either show off or get distracted, both of which could lead to me crashing the thing :)
That's true. I let some other guy I barely know fly the thing because everyone was inside so he can just concentrate just trying it out than showing off.

I don't mind letting people fly as long as I am supervising them. As long as they fly within eye sight & above all trees / powerlines, it's fine.

I'm looking on Craigslist to get a Phantom 4 now, gonna look at two today. But I'm not letting that guy fly my Phantom 4 until he makes it right with his mistake. And if he has $1200 in his pocket I can take if he crashes.

1) P4 w/ extra battery for $800. Says only flown once just to test after warranty exchange.
DJI Phantom 4 NEW OPEN BOX COMBO

2) P4 with no extra battery for $685. Says it's perfect condition.
Dji phantom 4 like new

About 3 years ago, my buddy flew my P1 into a tree. It was smoking when we got to it. I could tell he felt bad but didn't say anything about repair costs.

He showed up at my place a few days later and asked what I thought it would cost to fix it. I'd already sent it to a repair place so I knew how much. He wrote me a check on the spot.

He's one of my oldest friends. I wasn't going to ask for compensation, but turns out, I didn't have to.

Yeah I think my friend felt bad and knew he ****** up. He didn't want to discuss money yet but he promised he will try fix it by this weekend.

I am hoping he is ready to buy it off me in case he can't fix the camera. If only the camera stayed on, I may have just let it go. The bruises aren't a big deal as long as a few cracks are just cosmetic. I saw it still fly though and I was still in control of the thing, and I flew it as far as I usually do.

If he can't fix it, I was thinking he can just buy me this one. It's on sale now, it was another drone I have wanted.

I just want him to learn to not be stupid with the more expensive drones. If it was super bad luck and he hit a bird, I probably would let it go. But it's hard to let it go when I told him not to put the drone as low as he did and he goes "ohh its okay". Then books it into a tree. Plus chanting "George of the Jungle, watch out for that tree" when the drone was above a tree and 3 minutes later he hits a tree.

I know he wants to avoid paying for it, so I'll give him a chance to fix the camera since it still flies. If he can fix it, I will still have a drone with cracks & scratches so I still want him to owe me back somehow. Maybe treat me to some cool thing on Groupon that is good for two people. So that he can enjoy something instead of just forking money over to me.

But at the same time I want to punish him financially if he can't find a solution. I was ready to replace this drone but at the same time I could have sold it if he didn't crash it.

3DR - Solo Drone - Black

This... is how a true friend behaves.

This... is how a true friend behaves.
If he could venmo me $300 at least, I would forgive him and let him keep the broken drone. Of course $500 would be better but I don't know his financial situation and I know this wasn't a new drone. He can afford to pay rent in SD and go on a European vacation, so $300 at least would be enough for me to look past this.

I can tell he isn't ready to pay up, he wants to try fix it. But he did say he felt bad about it the next day in a text. I don't get why he never bought a DJI drone, I seen new P3 Standards on Craigslist for like $300, which is a hell of a deal to get into the premium drones. But only drone he bought for his dad for Christmas was a $100 from Brookstone, which probably sits in a closet now. I don't understand people who think those cheap Brookstone drones are replacements for DJI drones. They're just expensive throw away toys IMO. You might as well try your luck on Craigslist if you must resort to buying a Brookstone $100 drone.

I'm ready to buy a Phantom 4 w/ extra battery for $800. And when i saw it, it brand new, and I believe he only flew it to make sure it worked.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl