Anyone fly in their house?

Reaction score
Might be a dumb question. I don't want to, just wondering if anyone has done it. The inspire looks like it would be ok with some of the new technology. Not sure its smart with a P2.

I've done it. It wasn't too hard. My house is pretty big though, without a lot of furniture. That ballroom looks pretty fun though. :)

Without the GPS to help, you will get some wash from the ceiling, walls and floor though.

I'm building a little 100mm quad with 900mhz FPV. Just a little bigger than a Hubsan X4.

When flying indoors, you need to think more about the prop wash. The air flowing down from the propellers can curve up around walls and then push the Phantom around. Of course, you won't have GPS, so you'll have to be adjusting constantly to stay in place. Fortunately, it does maintain height pretty well, so in that regard it is easier than flying the toy quads. Just make sure to take off and land in the middle of a clear area. If you take off too near a wall, you'll probably flop right over.

My house is too small to fly indoors, lol. I remember the first few times I flew my AR.Drone 2.0 and despite the safety mechanism of the blades stopping when touched, it was just all over the place for me. :lol:

CityZen said:
When flying indoors, you need to think more about the prop wash. The air flowing down from the propellers can curve up around walls and then push the Phantom around. Of course, you won't have GPS, so you'll have to be adjusting constantly to stay in place. Fortunately, it does maintain height pretty well, so in that regard it is easier than flying the toy quads. Just make sure to take off and land in the middle of a clear area. If you take off too near a wall, you'll probably flop right over.

A bigger concern is the ceiling, prop wash works opposite also and it will suck it into the ceiling.

There is a great video someplace on YouTube of a guy who flew a Phantom 1 outside and around a church, then entering the building and flying up the isle to the steeple

Try a search

I was considering small spaces and one thing that came to mind was having some kind of "failsafe harness".
Like a thin bungee cord tied to the resting bracket on your transmitter, so if you drift somewhere you don't want to, just slightly tug it back.
Would need some kind of attachment point between the legs that would allow rotation.

I did know someone who did fly in his house. Literally. He flew his house.
He bought a 1946 DC3 and refurbished it to be his home. He called it his flying motor home. Even after the purchase, refurbishment and parking fees, it was cheaper than buying a house. I last saw him at Half Moon Bay airport in California. No idea of what he is up to now.

It have hovered around in ATTI mode to drain off some batteries when the weather turned out to be bad. Works just the same but have to be careful and correct for any drifts. It will bp get pretty windy and loud though.

Lol thanks for all the replies. My wife wanted me to fly in the house and I was having trouble explaining why it wasn't a great idea. Seems like a good way to bust things.

I have flown indoors in the 12'x20' living room and was able to pick up enough satellites for GPS. This in a wood frame house. Really don't need GPS, however, for indoor flying.

WPSPETE said:
Lol thanks for all the replies. My wife wanted me to fly in the house and I was having trouble explaining why it wasn't a great idea. Seems like a good way to bust things.
ha, my wife is the opposite. Would kill me if I flew it in the house.

WPSPETE said:

eyecon82 said:
WPSPETE said:

Too funny. I have a hard time convincing my wife I shouodnt fly in the house. Ah is always egging me on to fly between trees, take off from boats ect. Sometimes she's helpful in pushing me. Other times it's just bad advice lol

First flight: Gym
Second flight: my living room
Third Flight: outdoors

The Phantom 2 is remarkably stable even without GPS control. My living room isn't HUGE and it has standard ceilings 8 feet or so. I was able to keep it controlled to the point that I flew it from one room to the next one through a standard size door.
I wouldn't recommend that of course, and the only point of flying it indoors it would be for you to get aquatinted with the system. I'd recommend a gym like a basketball court indoors, but if you must, then you should be ok.

I was just asked to fly inside a coliseum next weekend for an arena-cross event. I turned it down without even finding out the compensation. Maybe I should have asked what they were paying.

The thought of flying around with no GPS for a couple hours just freaks me out.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj