Anyone fly in the rain?

Reaction score
I noticed on the latest episode of my australian 4wd action DVD there was a few scenes that they had filmed with their drone but it was flying in fairly heavy rain. Has anyone tried this? Is the phantom able to cope with mist/rain?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

good question, personally i wouldn't try it as there's a lot to rust or short out, it doesn't seem particular weather resistant. this winter , it started snowing during one flight. very light snow, but i landed immediately, didnt want to risk my phantom.

Was on a 3 mile trip back and started to drizzle and only thing I noticed was the gimbal shook at times and it got on the lens .
Was glad it didn't start hard till I got back .

I do fly in rain and snow and even land in the water on occasion but not with my Phantom...

Attachments

• dex lg.jpg
    dex lg.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 543
The Phantoms are not water resistant. I've stayed up in the sky when drizzle started, but not for long.

There was another thread where someone was flying over waterfalls with a mist and the drone just shut off and crashed.

In the Phantom manual, DJI recommends not flying in snow, rain, or fog. FYI, in case you choose to do so and damage your Phantom.

That would be great if the could Liquipel the Phantom, I'll have to check their website www.liquipel.com

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

In the Phantom manual, DJI recommends not flying in snow, rain, or fog. FYI, in case you choose to do so and damage your Phantom.

heh. 2 out of 3 for me. Never flew in rain. Have in snow and fog.

Fog:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Snow:

For the snow trip, I wiped the shell and props down with RainX to prevent icing during flight.

If money was no object, one could be something designed to get wet, or build one.

Hmm. I wonder if spraying all the PCBs with clear lacquer paint would help with internal moisture issues due to the vents.

I noticed on the latest episode of my australian 4wd action DVD there was a few scenes that they had filmed with their drone but it was flying in fairly heavy rain. Has anyone tried this? Is the phantom able to cope with mist/rain?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Not intentionally. Got caught in a storm trying to get home. The AC spent the night in the tree. Got it back the next day. Battery was toast, put the fan on the AC for week and all was good.

This looks surprisingly good; from the photos I took in the rain, 1/3 was just showing white milk.

And the rest was still low contrast and partially covered by the milky rain, so actually none were useable.

I took the chance by flying in rain because I did not wanted to waste the time and money I used for travel. Drone did what should and landed ok, but I was stressed the whole time. Finally, I achieved nothing. At least I didn't lost the drone.

The Phantom 3 Pro/Adv is a great air craft but they are not disigned for the rain or snow. Even left outside over night in a fog is sometimes enough to do water damage. If you're worried that you may have water damage, take a quick look inside for any Red LCI's. They are little round DJI stickers. If they are white you should be good to go, but if any are pink or red you should replace that component. Water damaged parts can sometimes work for a short time after they have been dried out but then suddenly fail potentially causing more damage.

It makes perfect sense to stay out of the rain for all the obvious reasons. Electronics could short, the motor could get water logged, who knows how many things could go wrong? And besides, DJI says specfically, don't do it. But I have yet to see or hear of a phantom actually crash due to the wet.

You got to love a good storm and the Phantom Rain Wet Suit got us into the mix.
This was a test, and it passed with flying colors , no rice needed. 26 minutes in the pouring rain,

No wants to fly in the rain but sometimes you do get caught up.

Taking the fear out of the storm. Adding visibility and protecting your drone from Impacts , and making it great for 1 hand catches .

Trauma 2.jpg

21728842_1843747819273601_8905607029287285407_o.jpg

SNY04618.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic