Anyone ever used the csc mid-flight intentionally?

ever used csc mid-flight intentionally?

• Total voters
It's an emergency shut off for mid flight, say maybe if it was flying away on you or maybe if a low flying aircraft suddenly came up on your position.

If you're 'battling' the sticks so much that you accidentally execute a CSC in flight... maybe it's a good thing that the motors get shut-off!

I understand the stick inputs shouldn't be used during normal flight, and I also understand this is 100% my fault. The question is whether it is necessary at all for these to work at altitude. I've been using the auto take-off and landing function, I understand some prefer to start/stop the motors with CSC while on the ground. But why do they need to work at all during flight? Just trying to find a reason, thought maybe someone had executed intentionally so I could understand. The free fall is the only thing mentioned so far. Thanks for your input every.
To avoid a fly away or a mid air collision.

What about this situation...

Flying the phantom backwards at high speeds while filming to prevent props in the shot. The right stick is pretty much in the CSC position (assuming that you're correcting the path of the phantom left or right while flying). Now, if you need to adjust your height (lower) or rotate the phantom, wouldn't it be possible to accidentally execute a CSC?

What about this situation...

Flying the phantom backwards at high speeds while filming to prevent props in the shot. The right stick is pretty much in the CSC position (assuming that you're correcting the path of the phantom left or right while flying). Now, if you need to adjust your height (lower) or rotate the phantom, wouldn't it be possible to accidentally execute a CSC?
So flying full speed backwards and rolling left while rotating and descending full speed all at the same time? Only if you're trying to create a vomit inducing video.

Reactions: Mike
So flying full speed backwards and rolling left while rotating and descending full speed all at the same time? Only if you're trying to create a vomit inducing video.

Yes... kind of. I'm picturing filming a wakeboarder - with the phantom flying backwards and in front of the rider. In order to keep up with the boat (24-26mph), the phantom will probably be going full speed. Having to maintain this speed to stay with the rider, then if you make the adjustment to move the phantom left or right (into or further away from the wake), this puts the right stick in the CSC position - which I think would be very easy to do in this situation. Or if you're flying the phantom next to the rider 'diagonally' (not quite straight backwards - this will put the right stick in a CSC position) and using the left stick to rotate the phantom to keep the rider in frame would make it easy to accidentally execute a CSC.

But yes, descending at full speed probably wouldn't happen - unless you accidentally move the left stick a bit too far - even for a split second. You don't have to hold the CSC position for any length of time. As soon as the CSC position is hit by both sticks, the motors stop (well, maybe a second?).

I've followed a rider before, and was very careful to pay attention to how I had the controls. I was aware of how close each stick was to their respective CSC positions.

Yes... kind of. I'm picturing filming a wakeboarder - with the phantom flying backwards and in front of the rider. In order to keep up with the boat (24-26mph), the phantom will probably be going full speed. Having to maintain this speed to stay with the rider, then if you make the adjustment to move the phantom left or right (into or further away from the wake), this puts the right stick in the CSC position - which I think would be very easy to do in this situation. Or if you're flying the phantom next to the rider 'diagonally' (not quite straight backwards - this will put the right stick in a CSC position) and using the left stick to rotate the phantom to keep the rider in frame would make it easy to accidentally execute a CSC.

But yes, descending at full speed probably wouldn't happen - unless you accidentally move the left stick a bit too far - even for a split second. You don't have to hold the CSC position for any length of time. As soon as the CSC position is hit by both sticks, the motors stop (well, maybe a second?).

I've followed a rider before, and was very careful to pay attention to how I had the controls. I was aware of how close each stick was to their respective CSC positions.
Nah, you have to keep the sticks in the CSC position for more than a second. Its a very deliberate move. Any deviation, even by a degree, will cancel CSC. Go mimic it over a field, I bet you can't do it without trying (or just randomly jamming sticks with no purpose).

Jeeze,

You're going to fabricate some hypothetical situation to support your arguement???

Ok, now what?

Better to describe an actual flight in which you nearly 'accidentally' executed CSC.

I have thought about it many times and I dont see any way to accidentally to make it happen in flight.

Unless you had no idea what the sticks do.

Nah, you have to keep the sticks in the CSC position for more than a second. Its a very deliberate move. Any deviation, even by a degree, will cancel CSC. Go mimic it over a field, I bet you can't do it without trying (or just randomly jamming sticks with no purpose).
When I first got my phantom, I accidentally did a CSC and learned the hard way. I was pretty sure that I didn't hold the sticks very long in that position, so I decided to do a test and found that it shut the motors off pretty quick (maybe a second? - but I don't think it was as long as it takes to start the motors).

Jeeze,

You're going to fabricate some hypothetical situation to support your arguement???

Ok, now what?

Better to describe an actual flight in which you nearly 'accidentally' executed CSC.

WTF? I'm just trying to discuss this - not start an argument. If you read my post, it's not a hypothetical situation. While I was following a rider, I realized that I was very close to having both sticks in the CSC position.

I have thought about it many times and I dont see any way to accidentally to make it happen in flight.

Unless you had no idea what the sticks do.

And this is why I'm discussing this - to put my mind at ease that it's pretty much impossible to do (except for when I accidentally did it the first time - which I definitely admit that I was just messing around).

OK. I hate to be the one but I'm gonna put it really easy for you guys.... "YOU HAVE TO BE PRETTY **** S*****" to accidentally execute a CSC in mid fly... Period..

I wonder why they have several different CSC combos to start the motors. Why not just design it with one combination that everyone has to use? The more combinations the higher the probability that someone will accidentally execute it mid flight. Agreed it a small chance and I am NOT worried about it. I always start with both sticks in and hand catch so shutdown with the throttle only. I just don't see the benefit of having multiple ways to startup. There probably is a reason, DJI seems to know what they're doing.

I've seen this topic brought up ad nauseum since the p3 came out. Bottom line, either you don't know wtf you're doing with the sticks to cause this to happen mid flight, or you do and did it to avoid a larger problem had you not. It just isn't feasible any other way. Stop worrying and f****** fly your bird!

Last edited:
Has anyone ever done this from altitude & successfully recovered stable flight?

The gimbal & landing legs look as if they'd create an aerodynamic mess. Within a second of freefall the Phantom would be belly up, or in a tumble. It'd definitely be a brown trouser moment.

I've seen the guys video when he did it to bring it down from 6000+ feet. Probably the only real use for it.

Please post the link! :)

Okay... Hang on. This post has been reported and I'm, as we speak, responding to that report. So... Let me make this forum's take on this situation abundantly clear... ready???

DO NOT denigrate the abilities of a fellow member for any reason, under any circumstances. We are all at varying levels of experience here and this forum primarily exists to share information with those who might not have achieved a level of experience that would make the question at hand clear to them. If you already know the answer and hold the OP as a NOOB... that's fine. AS LONG AS YOU RESPOND APPROPRIATELY!!!!. You did not pop out of Mom's womb with full knowledge on this subject. Do whatever you can to school those with lesser knowledge. Or... just move along, please...

-slinger

Last edited:
I can't be sure on the P3, but on the P2 non vision I'm pretty sure there's an option in the Assistant software to alter whether some commands will work whilst the bird is descending. I'll have to wait till mine is back to check it, and I might be thinking of the left stick descend cutting the motors, but the option is something along the lines of "intelligent" which means it won't kill the motors while still descending, the other option means it can kill the motors even if the bird is descending.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic