Anyone encounter hostility while flying your drone?

Yeah last weeks I had an encounter that was actually funny. I was flying near a hiking trail right after work. It was about 10 miles out of town in the desert. I hear this guy talking loudly about 50 yards away. I watched him and saw him walking toward me but didn't pay him any attention. None!!! He kept walking and talking loudly. I wasn't over him or near anyone.. No attention given to him but I watched him coming. I am watching him to make certain he doesn't have anything in his hands.. He didn't, I keep flying. He Finally gets about 10 feet away and says "don't fly that....." That's it, he turns around and walks away. I don't know what he saw but I'm guessing he saw something that made him decide not to continue being mouthy..

I suppose, and this is just a guess, he looked at the my Badge and service weapon and decided not to confront me my FBI friend and the three off-duty local police officer buddies sitting with me. That's just a guess though.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2
He had obviously been charged with "P.O.P." before....

I encountered some hostility one day flying .
Was standing on a fire ant mound and didn't know it till one said..ok guys,Bite :eek:
That will get your attention .
Other than that I have not had any in 2 years :)

Last edited:
I was out in the boonies flying over a reservoir that had been drained. It is in an area where the type of people who would shoot a drone down for sport live, along with a lot of meth heads in that area. A buddy was with me flying a little fixed wing biplane. I was about a 1/4 mile away, flying down the length of the lake when I heard two shot gun blasts. Quickly turned and headed back. I wasn't sure if the shots were meant for my drone or just coincidence. A few minutes later a pick up came from the direction of the shots and stopped where we were flying - guy with a look of disgust on his face rolled the window down and asked if we intended to land on the road, I told him I could land anywhere, but my buddy would use the road as his runway as long as no cars were present. Anyway, the guy got out of his truck, softened up a bit after asking lots of questions and I let him see what the drone could see. He told us to have a good time and left. Still not sure if the shotgun blasts were from him, but it was kinda tense when he first rolled up. Other than a couple of old women yelling at me in a park once, that is all the trouble I've had.
Oh, I continued to fly both the P3P and the Solo over the lake for another 45 minutes without any more shots fired.

Reactions: WWK888
a guy down the street from me has an inspire, we (and 1900 people) are part of the community facebook page, about once a week he post sunset photos of the neighborhood...the other day, someone threated to shoot it down if it was flying over their house....I "politely" suggested they learn the laws before doing such...

other than then one facebook badass, I've had no issues.

I was at a party last night, and I asked the homeowner is he wanted aerial night shots of his party, he was very excited about the idea...(also intoxicated)...after the first battery, I asked if he wanted to fly (he previously told me he had a RC heli)....I told him CSC to start the motors, and when he is ready ot land, give the RC back to me.....well, he forgot that part and started doing CSC with the A/C 100 ft in the air....I saw him and grabbed the controls to stop it, I assume because of the for mentioned condidtion, he didn't make CSC long enough, almost a disaster...leason learned

Goofed that! I was going to say Facebook is more of a social ill than "drones" ever will be.

I encountered some hostility one day flying .
Was standing on a fire ant mound and didn't know it till one said..ok guys,Bite :eek:
That will get your attention .
Other than that I have not had any in 2 years :)
Yeh me Too! I am glad I could be hands off the controls for a while to get rid of the ants.

Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1