Anyone else thinking about staying at 1.3.2 forever?

I did have it drift on 1.3.2 at the end of my last flight, but not severe enough that I couldn't control it easily. Personally, I think everyone should try to update and this way if there is a problem, it can be reported and fixed by DJI. Going back to an older version when needed is simple.

With all the discussions around GEO, etc. I never upgrade to 1.4. Also helped that I've been traveling a lot lately and haven't had that much time to fly. But now I'm starting to think maybe staying at 1.3.2 isn't the worse idea if I don't want to deal with personal NFZ's, etc down the road. (I've also got auto update on my iPad off so I'm on a pretty old version of the app as well).

When waypoints came out they weren't that compelling.. but some of these newer apps like FPV and Airnest look like they are more on point. Maybe I go to 1.4 so i can use those and then stop?

My daily reading of this forum hasn't been able to happen as my schedule got busier so I apologize for what I'm sure may repetitive questions.

Thanks for any perspective you can share to help me make this decision.

Alex

Totally agree. I've stopped updating because from here on in the regulations will destroy this fun hobby

1.4 for me introduced hellacious FPV video chop and disconnects. It was night and day 1.3 from the same exact location, flight path and day worked flawlessly where 1.4 was horrible.

I'm not going to 1.5 because I won't be able to go back to 1.3 if 1.5 has the same problem for me. Maybe I'll chance going to the next release.

My question?? what happens when they do get it right??-- Those who didn't upgrade my be left holding the bag if they don't have all the upgrade files saved.

Might be a good idea to put them in the safe deposit box on your computer.

Reactions: aka1ceman
1.4 for me introduced hellacious FPV video chop and disconnects. It was night and day 1.3 from the same exact location, flight path and day worked flawlessly where 1.4 was horrible.

I'm not going to 1.5 because I won't be able to go back to 1.3 if 1.5 has the same problem for me. Maybe I'll chance going to the next release.

Well lets put it this way. I have been spending a lot of time doing upgrades. It doesn't seem that DJI knows what they are doing. They put out a product that is not ready for prime time and buts the blame of crashes on the user. My recourse action is to turn the P3A back in for a refund and go with the Hubsan 4X. It has a lot of advantages that the P3A doesnt have and cant be much worse then the DJI
With all the discussions around GEO, etc. I never upgrade to 1.4. Also helped that I've been traveling a lot lately and haven't had that much time to fly. But now I'm starting to think maybe staying at 1.3.2 isn't the worse idea if I don't want to deal with personal NFZ's, etc down the road. (I've also got auto update on my iPad off so I'm on a pretty old version of the app as well).

When waypoints came out they weren't that compelling.. but some of these newer apps like FPV and Airnest look like they are more on point. Maybe I go to 1.4 so i can use those and then stop?

My daily reading of this forum hasn't been able to happen as my schedule got busier so I apologize for what I'm sure may repetitive questions.

Thanks for any perspective you can share to help me make this decision.

Alex
Im spending much to much time upgrading and not flying. Why did they push out a product that wasn't ready? Im ready to go to Hubsan for the 4Xpro.

Well lets put it this way. I have been spending a lot of time doing upgrades. It doesn't seem that DJI knows what they are doing. They put out a product that is not ready for prime time and buts the blame of crashes on the user. My recourse action is to turn the P3A back in for a refund and go with the Hubsan 4X. It has a lot of advantages that the P3A doesnt have and cant be much worse then the DJI

Im spending much to much time upgrading and not flying. Why did they push out a product that wasn't ready? Im ready to go to Hubsan for the 4Xpro.
Jump on that Husban, probably exactly what you need to fit your needs.:) Cheers -- wish you luck with it.

Reactions: Meta4
I rolled back from 1.4 to 1.3.20, cycled all my batteries through also. RC and Go app is the latest as of today.

I tried rolling back the RC too but it will not do that anymore.

I have performed an IMU, compass and gimbal calibration.

Hover is STEADY, no drift (with and without prop guards), no vibration, no curved horizon.

I have the earlier P3P with the older motors. System appears to be responding better than 1.4 which was drifting uncomfortably.

Not sure if I want to go up to 1.4 again for another comparison, but I certainly won't be taking it past that given the experiences here on this forum, for quite some time at least, if ever.

This is my first DJI. I was thinking of going up to a future Aspire but for now I will be watching Phantom customer field experiences closely.

Last edited:
With my latest experience with DJI repair department I am under the impression that they will deny of repair if you haven't updated. At least free of charge under warranty

I have been with the 1.6 firmware for over two weeks now, and I've had at least 20 long flights with no issues.. No flyaways, crashes, it hovers rock steady, no vibrations, gimbal shake, nothing. All my batteries are on 1.6 too, RC and GO app are on the latest firmware.. I was nervous at first upgrading, but the battery issues in the cold are why I did it, didn't want to risk my bird as I fly in cold weather. So far I'm happy, I'm starting to think that people with issues with 1.6 maybe didn't upgrade correctly? Not trying to be a smart *** at all, just wondering why I have no issues but others do?

I have been with the 1.6 firmware for over two weeks now, and I've had at least 20 long flights with no issues.. No flyaways, crashes, it hovers rock steady, no vibrations, gimbal shake, nothing. All my batteries are on 1.6 too, RC and GO app are on the latest firmware.. I was nervous at first upgrading, but the battery issues in the cold are why I did it, didn't want to risk my bird as I fly in cold weather. So far I'm happy, I'm starting to think that people with issues with 1.6 maybe didn't upgrade correctly? Not trying to be a smart *** at all, just wondering why I have no issues but others do?

This is outrageous !!!!
Obviously your upgrade went terribly wrong.
I suggest you uninstall....and try again.

Reactions: Wacker2611
This is exactly my experience as well. And since this thread is about staying with a particular firmware, I may very well choose 1.6 depending on what comes down the pike with geo. Personally, I'd recommend everyone update to 1.6 to take advantage of the fixes, most especially the battery, and the benefits ioc modes. If you ever need to update for any reason, you may be sorry you waited when you're forced to jump to geo. My opinion only.

Last edited:
I have worked for a large software company most of my life, so I know software is never finished. It is man made, so it will have bugs. Development is always fixing those bugs and adding new features. Seeing frequent updates from DJI means to me that they care about fixing those bugs and adding new features to their products. I am used to firmware updates on pretty much anything, on computers, routers, DSLR cameras, TVs, phones, etc. They day the firmware updates stop, it is the day a product has reached its end of life and the company behind it is no longer spending any more resources updating the product. I am actually grateful every time I see a firmware update from DJI. I am on 1.6 and have no issues with it. With that said, I am not convinced GEO Fencing is necessary and will probably refrain from applying an update that will require me to request authorization before I can fly. I know most people here are hobbyists or photographers, but I am surprised no one has tried to reverse engineer the Phantom firmware. Do we know what kid of CPU (processor) is used in the Phantoms? I can see a third party decompiling the firmware and modifying it to remove some of the restrictions we don't like and/or providing new functionality. Easy money for some smart developers.

I rolled back from 1.4 to 1.3.20, cycled all my batteries through also. RC and Go app is the latest as of today.

I tried rolling back the RC too but it will not do that anymore.

I have performed an IMU, compass and gimbal calibration.

Hover is STEADY, no drift (with and without prop guards), no vibration, no curved horizon.

I have the earlier P3P with the older motors. System appears to be responding better than 1.4 which was drifting uncomfortably.

Not sure if I want to go up to 1.4 again for another comparison, but I certainly won't be taking it past that given the experiences here on this forum, for quite some time at least, if ever.

This is my first DJI. I was thinking of going up to a future Aspire but for now I will be watching Phantom customer field experiences closely.
When you say given experiences on this forum, there are many of us who have had little or no issues with the upgrades. Bear in mind, many come to the forum to express problems, and those who aren't having issues, are not posting their non issues. There are 48,000 + members of this forum and I would venture to say that most of them are flying on current FW upgrades and software upgrades.

At some point, failure to upgrade will exclude your P3 from current and better software that wont work with older firmware.
Don't ever say never:D:D Hope you get your issues resolved. You want to be a part of the growth in the current technology.

I agree with everything you have stated. There will come a time when I will move forward with a future firmware update, perhaps soon. But for now, I am staying BELOW 1.5 as that gives me choices.

The number of complaints posted on this forum is enough to convince me of that.

I would like to know exactly what is being updated/fixed/added/removed and I think DJI should be more transparent in this regard if they want the consumer to remain confident in the product and brand.

1.320 is in the penultimate download list and therefore is still current.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic