Anyone else love/hate the Black Pearl sun shade?

Reaction score
It's effective, I'll give it that. Compared to my LCD-RX5802's built-in sunshade, the Black Pearl's towers over it and actually provides useful shade in bright conditions. But when it comes to storing the Black Pearl, the shade has to come off. The tabs it uses to snap on and off are cumbersome, IMO. So I sought for a quality velcro shade and found the perfect solution.

I had to make some minor modifications to accommodate the ports and antennas, but it took all of 5 minutes or so with some scissors and a lighter.

KJdaYWv.jpg

I just cut some notches at the top of the shade to fit the antennas. These are actually useful as they help my guide the shade on so that it's centered. I burned the fabric with a lighter. This got rid of any loose strings and melted it enough to prevent fraying in the future.

n2aP41l.jpg

Then I cut the included velcro to accommodate the ports on both sides.

0IXPXmr.jpg

And voila.

KJdaYWv.jpg

Purchased here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281257978709?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Those with Amazon Prime can get it here: http://smile.amazon.com/Koolertron-shad ... B0058GFRZY

I bought the same thing. Could not stand the stock shade. The fabric velcro one work well and I also had to cut notches for the antennas. I'm surprised no one has posted about this before.

I'm surprised by how nice this sun shade actually is. I got another one (came free with one of my other monitors) and it was a POS that used elastic bands that did a poor job of securing the shade to the monitor.

If you can find this shade in the UK, which I'm sure you can (it's just some no-name Chinese shade re-sold under many different names), I think it's worth the (American) price. I paid $12 for mine.

I'm impatient, so I'd go with the one in the UK for faster shipping. :)

The stock shade is good but a pain to take down. So mine stays assembled. My storage and transport is in a backpack with several layers of stock cushion foam as the interior. I just cut slots in the foam for the assembled BP and shade.works for me. Just an an alternative

There's no room in either my backpack or hard case to put the monitor with stock hood in. Unfortunate. But I'm happy with this setup so far.

IrishSights said:
The stock shade is good but a pain to take down. So mine stays assembled. My storage and transport is in a backpack with several layers of stock cushion foam as the interior. I just cut slots in the foam for the assembled BP and shade.works for me. Just an an alternative

I'm with you regarding the monitor and RC staying completely assembled as I do allot of flying. When it has to be stored away the original BP hood packs neatly in my hardcase.

Go to an office store and buy some black, thick poster board. Get an exacto knive and a ruler. You can easily cut it for the full shade. Then make cuts halfway through the poster board. This makes it incredibly easy to make bends. Make the cuts from the outside edge of the poster board.

Done right, you have a one piece sun shade that can be secured to the stock sunshade or use it alone. It works well, but practice first.

Yeah ditto for me. Now that I am transporting using a backpack - the black pearl sun shade is a royal pain in the arse. That together with having to screw in the tripod screw every time is time consuming. The time to set up and pack away almost exceeds the flight time from a single battery.

There has to be a better way. Ideally I would like the BP with sunshade already fastened to the Tx.

The only FPV I have is on a $299 Ares Ethos FPV. Even though it is much cheaper, the metal sunshade collapses. You fold back the right side, the left and then close the top. It lays flat but doesn't touch the screen. When you open it, you lift the upper shade by a tab, then the left and right sides pop in place, on their own. This is a monitor/receiver, 5.8Ghz system.

Why don't the more expensive receiver/monitors have collapsible sun shades?

Just ebayed a foldable sun shade which attaches with velcro - so much better than the stock jigsaw puzzle.

Hi all. Have look at this. It's a sun shade I make called the iShade - 2 customers of mine just mentioned that they used it for FPS UAV. The UAV world is new to me, but they really like the iShade. Anyway I though I'd show it to you guys. I released this in Jan 2015 and I'm still trying to get the word out that this exists. Here is a link:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/2206507 ... acy-screen?

I have models which fit the iPad mini, iPad 2, 3, 4 air 2, 3 and MacBooks. It fits easily on and off via an elastic cord and rubber strips. No velcro required and it folds flat and fits in your iPad/ MacBooks carry case.

Attachments

• IMG_2015.JPG
    IMG_2015.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 446
Peterseddon said:
Hi all. Have look at this. It's a sun shade I make called the iShade - 2 customers of mine just mentioned that they used it for FPS UAV. The UAV world is new to me, but they really like the iShade. Anyway I though I'd show it to you guys. I released this in Jan 2015 and I'm still trying to get the word out that this exists. Here is a link:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/2206507 ... acy-screen?

I have models which fit the iPad mini, iPad 2, 3, 4 air 2, 3 and MacBooks. It fits easily on and off via an elastic cord and rubber strips. No velcro required and it folds flat and fits in your iPad/ MacBooks carry case.

Looks like a nice product and the simplicity and compactness is important. I think it is overpriced though. I ditched my black pearl jigsaw for a fold flat velcro item which cost about £7. So I dont see any reason to spend nearly three times that amount on a similar item.

Good luck though I hope it does well.

The iShade is made from high grade polyprop, very heat resistant and durable but expensive to produce at low quantities.

If your happy with having to use velcro on your devices go for it. I don't like the idea of putting velcro on my iPad, it's not a great solution, so I prefer the iShade (obviously). I'd love to sell the iShade for £7, but the reality is - I'm not a big corporation and I can't buy components by the 10,000s which is needed to reduce costs. I hand construct all of these and buy parts in low quantities because it's a small business and I need to pay for promotional activities, protecting my intellectual property, etc. Help small businesses, guys!

As soon as I'm a huge company with massive buying power I'll certainly reduce the price.

Reactions: lotusteve
Peterseddon said:
The iShade is made from high grade polyprop, very heat resistant and durable but expensive to produce at low quantities.

If your happy with having to use velcro on your devices go for it.
I did go for it. And really it is fine, but the same shade I have would work equally well with an elastic strap like yours and no velcro. By the way the one I have is not "very" heat resistant, but then again I cant think of any reason why heat would be a problem I am not planning on flying near any volcanoes :)

Peterseddon said:
so I prefer the iShade (obviously). I'd love to sell the iShade for £7, but the reality is - I'm not a big corporation and I can't buy components by the 10,000s which is needed to reduce costs. I hand construct all of these and buy parts in low quantities because it's a small business and I need to pay for promotional activities, protecting my intellectual property, etc. Help small businesses, guys!

You posted presumably seeking constructive feedback, and I provided you with some. I find your reply rather defensive and edgy but that is my opinion. In a captialist world the best value products will fortunately or unfortunately win out. I am not too fussed whether something as basic as a sun shade is hand made or not, it is not a USP I would pay extra for, If you think it adds value you go for it. :eek:

I opinion is totally valid. You gave great feedback and I gave a response. I wouldn't describe what I said as 'edgy' or 'defensive', I guess its all about they way it reads to you.

On the matter of heat resistance - it is important for situations which involve using the sun shade in very hot sunny conditions for prolonged periods, I'm sure many would agree. And the elastic strap is a unique feature on my shade, which would only work on your shade if it has something similar to EPDM rubber 'rim' like the iShade has. Thanks to a patent and a registered design, it's only available on the iShade.

And one final point, I would avoid describing capitalism such broad terms. To some people a low price is more important than overall design value. It's totally up to you and I celebrate your freedom to choose.

Peterseddon said:
And one final point, I would avoid describing capitalism such broad terms. To some people a low price is more important than overall design value. It's totally up to you and I celebrate your freedom to choose.

Not sure if we have crossed wires or if you are misunderstanding what is meant by best value. Best value does not mean low price. Best value means the lowest price for most amount of useful features. Which is completely different. My point is that If there are two products whose "useful" features are equivalent, then the lowest price will win. Its simple economics.

Perhaps you have identified some good demand for sun shades in extreme heat conditions, but all I can say is that the one I have is not going to be easily affected by the sun - especially in the UK :D

In case it is of any use to you in evaluating and positioning your product, I include a link to the product I bought.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231464145396

I wish you all the best with your venture.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31