anyone else having the same issue?

Reaction score
when landing or bringing my P3A back down (manually) from a reasonable height the aircraft seems to kind of vibrate or shake a little (nothing extreme) i guess i only notice this event while having the throttle maxed.
props are in good condition and aren't loose of course. any ideas? or is this just a normal phantom thing?
or just physics?
thanks

Last edited:
Hi Romans109

I have noticed this with both my P2 and my P3P, but there has generally been some wind or updraught involved, also I have experienced what is termed as the Vortex Ring, see this link for better explanation.

Vortex ring state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check this out and you will save some headaches.

Waylander

Reactions: Romans109
yea i think i'll just ease up on the throttle while descending or landing from now on

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

With the P2 there were a lot of losses due to VRS, then they reduced the descent speed in a firmware update which helped, but it was still much better to avoid coming straight down.
The P3 has canted motors and is much less susceptible despite a faster descent allowed, it's still advisable to start descend on a sloping trajectory as you come home - to avoid the risk almost entirely.

If you think the P3 and P2 were bad, you should have tried the P1. On a calm day, full down throttle without any horizontal movement would have the craft flying in its vortex 100% of the time. I saw 45degree or more tips and shakes doing this. Since I have a hawk in the neighborhood that would attack it, I always kept a horizontal direction open to fly it if I had to do an emergency descent. Wouldnt attack it if I dropped it, would keep attacking it if I climbed.

Hi Romans109,

I have never experienced shaking of my P3A when I bring it down with a maximum descent (which I do many times). What does it look like and do you see it with the camera?

I think the P3 has such a design that VRS is not likely.

I think that's part of the problem: the P3 gimbal is so advanced you wouldn't see shaking in the video even if it was there. So it might be shaking and you wouldn't know it. There may be no risk of a VRS crash, but it may very well be shaking. We don't ignore pot holes just because we think they won't make us crash, do we? No. We avoid potholes because we don't like abusing our vehicle.

Hi Romans109,

I have never experienced shaking of my P3A when I bring it down with a maximum descent (which I do many times). What does it look like and do you see it with the camera?

I think the P3 has such a design that VRS is not likely.

i have yet to look at the screen cause im too focused on the craft when im bringing it down but the vibration/shaking isnt severe.. ill try looking at the screen next time tho. i was thinkin maybe trying some carbon fiber props then again ive heard good and bad about cf props but it's worth a chance.

I think that's part of the problem: the P3 gimbal is so advanced you wouldn't see shaking in the video even if it was there. So it might be shaking and you wouldn't know it. There may be no risk of a VRS crash, but it may very well be shaking. We don't ignore pot holes just because we think they won't make us crash, do we? No. We avoid potholes because we don't like abusing our vehicle.
good point

good point

Depending upon climate and wind conditions - there is always a chance of a vortex crash IF you descend into prop wash. Horizontal movement and/or slower descent will minimized this chance. You cant engineer physics out of the hobby.

i have yet to look at the screen cause im too focused on the craft when im bringing it down but the vibration/shaking isnt severe.. ill try looking at the screen next time tho. i was thinkin maybe trying some carbon fiber props then again ive heard good and bad about cf props but it's worth a chance.

Wouldn't touch carbon fibre props with a barge pole on my P3P, tried a fully balanced set on my P2 and it made VRS much worse, DJI props are the best, and as every other contributor has said.. "slow or angle your descent" that is the way to avoid the Vortex Ring effect :)
Waylander

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31