Anyone else had a problem with Department of Revenue in their state trying to collect taxes on their

Reaction score
So today I receive a letter from the Ga Department of Revenue saying I owe them taxes on a newly registered aircraft! That aircraft being my 3DR IRIS+! WTF!!!

Information received by this division indicates that you are the owner of an aircraft that is domiciled in GA as of 5/15/2015. This aircraft reported to be domiciled in GA is listed as follows:
Then goes on to list the registration number from the FAA!! What a bunch of F****** Idiots!!!

Anyone else gotten anything like this??

Reactions: GaryJD and Reed L
I've never heard of that here in NY, the Land of Taxes. Wow.

Attachments

• 1935950_1184152657339_5479554_n.jpg
    1935950_1184152657339_5479554_n.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 567
Reactions: HawkeyeImaging
I've never heard of that here in NY, the Land of Taxes. Wow.
I have a feeling this is just the beginning of the trouble headed our way from this whole illegal drone registration mess!! I should send them a check then sue them for double taxation!! Lol

Reactions: MrTommy
Most likely you registered your aircraft "Commercially" and because of that it shows up on the IRS radar as an aircraft registered in their state. Remember up until the last couple of years only Full Size aircraft showed up on that database and of course the IRS wants to make sure to get their slice of taxes on a high dollar item like that. I'm on several "aviation" groups and many people have gotten the same letter over the last few months after registering "Commercially" with the FAA. Thank goodness it's a very small amount (to the disappointment of the IRS I'm sure).

just tell them you sold it... and it went to a different state...
If you tell them that they are going to expect you to pay taxes on the Aircraft Sale.

Most likely you registered your aircraft "Commercially" and because of that it shows up on the IRS radar as an aircraft registered in their state. Remember up until the last couple of years only Full Size aircraft showed up on that database and of course the IRS wants to make sure to get their slice of taxes on a high dollar item like that. I'm on several "aviation" groups and many people have gotten the same letter over the last few months after registering "Commercially" with the FAA. Thank goodness it's a very small amount (to the disappointment of the IRS I'm sure).
Yes I had to register commercially because of my business use.Since I paid taxes at purchse they will not be getting another penny from me!!

Reactions: jakobe75
Anyone else gotten anything like this??

I use to have pay something like that on my taildragger to the state of Idaho. Fortunately, it was based on the aircraft's gross weight if I recall ($12?) and weighed a lot more than my P3A.

I'd call 'em up and ask them how it's assessed.

SB

Do you have an actual "N" number for a specific UAS, because of commercial use (same as under new Part 107)?
This shouldn't happen with the general "FAA" number assigned to the flyer, rather than to specific UAS .

They are most likely looking for the sales tax from the purchase. If you purchased online from an out of state retailer, you probably didn't pay GA sales tax. If you paid the tax, send them a receipt. It's your responsibility to report and pay your sales tax. States are losing millions in revenue to online sales.

Many States tax businesses on their property assets. An aircraft would be property.
Not unlike most States taxing the value of your car as part of your annual registration costs.
We have servers/networking gear all around the country, and have to notify corporate when any item is disposed of so they don't keep paying property taxes on it where that is required.

Many States tax businesses on their property assets. An aircraft would be property.
Not unlike most States taxing the value of your car as part of your annual registration costs.
We have servers/networking gear all around the country, and have to notify corporate when any item is disposed of so they don't keep paying property taxes on it where that is required.
My wife and I owned a freight business years ago and the state of Ga tried to tax us on our property assets our first year. We told them basically to kiss our ***!! They tried to pursue it and we ended up having it thrown out of court! Reason?? Double taxation! We paid taxes on our assets at the time of purchase therefore the tax requirement was met according to the attorneys!

Reactions: jakobe75
Do you have an actual "N" number for a specific UAS, because of commercial use (same as under new Part 107)?
This shouldn't happen with the general "FAA" number assigned to the flyer, rather than to specific UAS .
Yes. All my drones have N numbers because I use them for business. I won't be making that mistake again!! Every drone I buy I will register as personal!

Yes. All my drones have N numbers because I use them for business. I won't be making that mistake again!! Every drone I buy I will register as personal!

If you do that then you're outside of being in compliance with the regulations. It requires commercial registration as opposed to "hobby/recreational". You can't have your cake and eat it too.

not if you live in New Hampshire.. love my tax free state... Now property taxes, that one hurts [emoji23]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen