Anyone else bothered by...

Until I sold my p3a earlier today which I hand caught most times...I think the Mavic will be easier to hand launch than the phantom...never tried to hand launch the p3a.
I can't freaking wait....!!!
I'm like a dog with 2 cocks!!
[emoji190]

Anyone else bothered by.....a cryptically truncated thread title? o_O

I'm quite happy there isn't any extra height on this. I'd much rather have both the ground stability and the compact form factor (and on the vain side, a less silly looking profile in the air). If I'm not taking off from pavement (which is no problem for this guy) I've started using landing mats anyway, just to keep dirt and whatever else down. I also have (as soon as I finish hacking it together) a tripod-based, ball-leveled platform that's gonna live in the car, at which point I won't even need a flat spot, let alone a clear one

Reactions: Dronebow

I'm quite happy there isn't any extra height on this. I'd much rather have both the ground stability and the compact form factor (and on the vain side, a less silly looking profile in the air). If I'm not taking off from pavement (which is no problem for this guy) I've started using landing mats anyway, just to keep dirt and whatever else down. I also have (as soon as I finish hacking it together) a tripod-based, ball-leveled platform that's gonna live in the car, at which point I won't even need a flat spot, let alone a clear one
Can you post a picture of your invention?

That is an interesting idea and might be feasible with the weight and size. Were you planning on attaching some plastic (thick Plexi?) to the camera nut? Put on some bathtub type anti-slide strips and you could be set..

Haven't gotten around to finishing this since having the idea, but here's a rough mockup from a while back; the platform was to be wider and have closer slat spacing...slats were intended to let air pass through in order to minimize ground effect turbulence. The Mavic looks so stable on the ground I'm not sure thats necessary now...plus I think it'd benefit from a solid, patterned surface so that it's more tripod-like feet won't drop into anything. You can't see it here but there's bubble level (spare rig parts) to get it perfectly level for gimbal cal, etc

LandingPlatformMU.gif

Mavic's appealing because of portability, if I have to bring a LZ even if it's a foldable mat, it's another item i have to worry about/carry.

There doesn't seem much to grab on to (I saw Casey handcatching it and his hands were ridiculously close to the props).

Any of you guys planning to hand catch Mavic most fo the time?

I'll give it a try and see how safe I feel with hand catching/launching. I did it everytime with my P3A.

Man, there are so many things I want to try out when receiving my Mavic.... still several weeks away, dang.

/// Tom
I was in Singapore last week and stayed at the Marina Bay Sands for a night. On the 36th floor with a view of the bay with large glass doors that lead out to an open deck. I wanted my Mavic SO BAD.. All I could think about was opening up those doors and flying it right out the window doing a selfie shot on the way out of that hotel. Ah well.. There will be other opportunities in the future.

I planning to try hand launch/capture but I'm not sure how safe I will feel about it. (Gusty winds a lot in the mountains). I have used thin kevlar gloves to avoid line cuts when paragliding. I will do a test to see if those give protection from the props.

As soon as people get there hands on the Mavic the 3D printers will spring into action with accessories
like leg extenders for one.

Reactions: Biggle
As soon as people get there hands on the Mavic the 3D printers will spring into action with accessories
like leg extenders for one.
sure it's a nice option
but i think most of us prefer to keep it light..that's the whole appeal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers