Anyone else bothered by...

Reaction score
Ok, yes, I have mine on pre-order and have already sold my P3A.... But I have to admit, I'm a bit bothered by how low to the ground the Mavic is. I've on many occasions had to find a piece of ground away from taller grass because of camera/gimble issues or errors. This thing is really low on the ground which means it's going to kick up dirt on takeoff and landings as well as possible problems in any kind of grass that reaches the height of the props.

Thoughts?

Might want to use a landing pad, something portable that can roll up. Kind of defeats the portability of the Mavic...LOL!

Yeah I think a landing pad that doubled up as a blanket/wrap/cover etc for the Mavic would be ideal.

I have a 2'x2' section of those interlocking playroom foam mats that I keep in the car for when I need to crawl under it. That will double as a launch/landing pad if I am flying near the car. If my flying is to be done some distance from the car I'm thinking hand launch/catch. I've seen video of people doing it with the Mavic. I'm working on some sort of marking to paint on the mat to assist with auto landing.

I would launch from a smooth surface or low cut grass. A launching pad such as a nice sized piece of plywood would be great.

I've landed my phantom in long grass a hundred times on long grass - long enough to hit the props. As long as left stick is down, the props simply stop as the craft lands. In my experience, there is no winding around the props at all - even in tall grass.

If it comes down in very tall grass and then you try to bring it back up and out by moving up on your left stick - yes, that stuff will wrap around your motors...

I have a 2'x2' section of those interlocking playroom foam mats that I keep in the car for when I need to crawl under it. That will double as a launch/landing pad if I am flying near the car. If my flying is to be done some distance from the car I'm thinking hand launch/catch. I've seen video of people doing it with the Mavic. I'm working on some sort of marking to paint on the mat to assist with auto landing.
The ones from Harbor Freight are quite cheap. I think the playroom ones I looked at were unnecessarily expensive (and had these cutouts for ABC's and such).

I saw HF had a roll-up one for like $10 or so, which could easily be cut up into smaller pieces and roll it up even smaller.

Anti-Fatigue Roll Mat

Hand Launch and land not an option???

Not really, with my Phantom I avoid taking off or land on exposed dirt or grass anyway as the props tend to throw up a lot of debris and dust. With the Mavic a small rollable plastic mat should be enough as landing pad.

However I have seen that upon motor start, the Mavic tends to twitch quite a bit as the propellers get locked in place. I would not want to take off from a narrow place, like the stone ledge used by the guys at DigitalRev.

/// Tom

Reactions: KingDad1985
The ones from Harbor Freight are quite cheap. I think the playroom ones I looked at were unnecessarily expensive (and had these cutouts for ABC's and such).

I saw HF had a roll-up one for like $10 or so, which could easily be cut up into smaller pieces and roll it up even smaller.

Anti-Fatigue Roll Mat

Found mine at 5Below. A stack of five or so for $5. No letter cutouts. Black on one side, bright color on the other. We had them covering our wood deck when our kids were younger. Now that the kids fall down less these mats were looking for jobs. They're great for working on the car. One more (less filthy one) in the trunk and I have a portable helipad.

However I have seen that upon motor start, the Mavic tends to twitch quite a bit as the propellers get locked in place. I would not want to take off from a narrow place, like the stone ledge used by the guys at DigitalRev.
/// Tom

I believe what you are seeing there are the people who don't fold out the blades. Doing so will reduce the shimmy/shake on take off.

Man, there are so many things I want to try out when receiving my Mavic.... still several weeks away, dang.

/// Tom

Yep, I chatted DJI this morning with the frustration that many 3rd party vendors have shipping and arrival info posted, yet DJI's website has nothing. He told me that their contact centers don't have any information to give either. Would suck if Prime orders from this week get your drone there before DJI official orders from the days after pre-order release.

Reactions: AliAs
Mavic's appealing because of portability, if I have to bring a LZ even if it's a foldable mat, it's another item i have to worry about/carry.

There doesn't seem much to grab on to (I saw Casey handcatching it and his hands were ridiculously close to the props).

Any of you guys planning to hand catch Mavic most fo the time?

Mavic's appealing because of portability, if I have to bring a LZ even if it's a foldable mat, it's another item i have to worry about/carry.

There doesn't seem much to grab on to (I saw Casey handcatching it and his hands were ridiculously close to the props).

Any of you guys planning to hand catch Mavic most fo the time?
I plan on hand catching every time since I live in a mostly windy area. Alot of times its zero light breeze outside and the next minute it's blowing 20mph gust

i just use a thin door mat and roll it up when im taking it out its very light so not a problem to carry, i just lay it on the long grass then walk on it to flatten the grass underneath it seems to work ok.

I plan on hand catching every time since I live in a mostly windy area. Alot of times its zero light breeze outside and the next minute it's blowing 20mph gust

Ya, KingDad, me too, but one of my friends used to be a skilled hand surgeon before he retired, so I am not too worried. ;-)

/// Tom

Reactions: KingDad1985
Until I sold my p3a earlier today which I hand caught most times...I think the Mavic will be easier to hand launch than the phantom...never tried to hand launch the p3a.
I can't freaking wait....!!!
I'm like a dog with 2 cocks!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31