Anyone else been taken out by dust devils?

TLM

Reaction score
Thats what we call them here in Texas dust devils mini tornadoes caused by the heat. I was filming so stuff on a big wide open area when I saw the drones altitude dropping rapidly. Looked up from the screen and saw the funnel about where the drone was It took it all the way down to the ground even with me giving it full throttle up. No damage the drone landed almost perfect with full up throttle. The funnel dissipated the drone went right back up no issues.

Took it down not up? That is interesting! Yeah we get some big dust devils down here in Texas. Some are fairly large in late summer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Took it down not up? That is interesting! Yeah we get some big dust devils down here in Texas. Some are fairly large in late summer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Down because the dust devil probably had lower pressure than the air it was in prior to entering the funnel which caused the barometer to register a higher altitude than was anticipated, thus causing the quad to correct and descend. That'd be my guess, anyway.

Here is the video link you cans see much of the dust devil just a swirl as the drone hits the ground but the drone was 38ft in the air the dust devil was higher than that.

Reactions: envisionabove
Here is the video link you cans see much of the dust devil just a swirl as the drone hits the ground but the drone was 38ft in the air the dust devil was higher than that.

so it hits the ground and bounces back up??

Looks like the Dust Devil eradication team arrived just seconds after the assault on your Phantom.
I wish the Police responded that quickly.

Looks like the Dust Devil eradication team arrived just seconds after the assault on your Phantom.
I wish the Police responded that quickly.
My main concern was him running the drone over and not seeing it.

so it hits the ground and bounces back up??
I had the throttle full up the dust devil moves off to the right you can see the edge of it at the 11 second mark. It crossed the road and the drone went straight back up hovered perfect after the dust devil cleared. This drone is usually rock solid and had been hovering for a few seconds waiting on the vehicle, but you can see it start to have troubles staying steady just before it dropped I did not touch the controls until it was half way down giving it full throttle up as stated above.

Reactions: bobmyers
During one of our rocket launches, a dust devil blew across the field, upsetting some canopies and carrying the bags folding chairs come in, among other things, high into the air. My P2V was hovering a couple of hundred feet above the field when the dust devil passed it. It fell about 50 feet before it recovered as the devil moved away.

I missed capturing any video. In my excitement, I must have stopped recording when I meant to start.

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/dust-devil.12435/

-- Roger

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20