Anyone doing flips and rolls with Phantom?

Reaction score
I am eager to try a roll with the phantom. I get good speed and altitude in atti mode, and was wondering if the phantom would roll in manual mode.

I know there is no reverse pitch like heli, so I'm guessing I will lose altitude on a roll

Looking for some advise

Yeah flips and rolls are possible . .
I've seen some videos of it! I also want to try them out, I've not once flown in manual mode, and I'm still hoping to find some details about what does what in terms of stick control, but I'd imagine to do a front flip get the phantom hovering and push full up on the right stick? Then you need to get it back to level, and also note how much altitude has been lost.

Sounds easy enough lmao!

I do like flying manual mode, im not too into flips and rolls but still do them every now and again :mrgreen:

Here is an older video just bashing around in manual mode and a few flips thrown in for the heck of it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqWkaNL0JQM[/youtube]

They are easy to do but done wrong you will likely hit the ground pretty hard. As soon as you begin to pitch it will start losing altitude and then as you get inverted it will lose even more and if you dont reduce throttle quickly it will accelerate to the ground even faster. Dont go to zero throttle as this may cut the motors below 10% and inverted and thats not a good thing either.

If doing flips or rolls you just need to commit to them as bailing out half way is not a good thing on a fixed pitch quadcopter, blades only give lift so inverted it will just help gravity out a little. :D Do them up high at first and give it full stick, using stiffer props with higher gains and a lighter setup will rotate it faster so less altitude will be lost.

Got the phantom to do 1 Flip and 1 Roll in manual mode.
Was not a good feeling, very nerve-racking !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4MDNpod1FU[/youtube]

The new DJI Vision will apparently allow you to do flips- the iPhone App for the Vision that just came out has an "Auto Flips" setting. Now we just need to get the UAV to test it out!

The most fun thing about flips is the recovery if you didnt quite do it well, it is a good wake up call :lol:

There are basic quads that will pretty much auto flip and also do throttle blip to minimize altitude loss when inverted but if its too easy and safe it is also boring I think.

Still the best part of manual mode flying I find is the extra control it gives you and how much more natural it feels. Every time you do a full manual mode flight you get either a little better or end up with a total rebuild. I have had a couple crashes in manual but got quick lucky a few times too, now I have much more control in that mode then any other. But flying too low and too fast behind too many objects using a stock radio is highly not recommended. The same with anyone flying fpv with stabilized gimbal footage, do not fly manual mode with the feed from a gimbals as you will crash very early and very hard guaranteed if you dont see what the craft is doing.

The important thing is to have enough height to be able to recover if it all goes pear-shaped. Remember that if you flip S1 back to ATTI or GPS the Phantom will try its best to recover, even from inverted flight.

dirkclod said:
FrankB said:
The new DJI Vision will apparently allow you to do flips- the iPhone App for the Vision that just came out has an "Auto Flips" setting. Now we just need to get the UAV to test it out!
:lol:

Heh... I wondered about that, too.

My Ares has an "auto-flip" feature... and no matter what you do with the throttle, it'll always drop at least 20 feet during a flip or roll. Just not willing to do that with my Phantom.

Fdnyfish said:

This was great. Thank you for sharing this.

Fdnyfish said:

That's pretty good. You lost a lot of height during that roll - shows the importance of having a decent safety margin!

dirkclod said:
FrankB said:
:lol:

Wow......auto flips.....Wonder how you use it. ;)

How does one induce a flip or roll.... like joystick control wise? Obviously it can't be in GPS mode, but other than that, what do you do? I've only ever flown GPS, and gone balls out forward, then slammed it in reverse to come to a hover really quick and not "drift" to a stationary position.... just curious :roll:

You would likely need to be in Manual mode, cmt55ss. Once you're in manual, all the GPS and gyro assistance no longer applies... and then you just go full stick until it leans over.

HarryT said:
What's the use of it?

Flipping in general? Or the auto-flip specifically?

Auto-flips. I mean, given that aerobatics are a demonstration of piloting skill, having a computer do it for you seems to kind of take away the whole point of them, don't you think?

How hard are flips and rolls on the gimbal? I don't have a desire to try manual at this time thou.

It not auto flips with the phantom in the app ! It for the screen when you turn from portrait to landscape. !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues