anyone do weddings?

Reaction score
I'm going to shoot an outdoor wedding next month (just amateur stuff for a family member) and thought about getting a DJI Phantom II and a Go Pro for aerial footage. I have no experience but would have a month to practice. Probably not a good idea.

So my next thought was to hire someone who could do it for me. Is there anyone in Middle Tennessee who does this? The laws seem to be muddy and changing, so you'll have to know the laws concerning commercial drone photography.

Welcome to the forum proliance.

I did a wedding once. Didn't turn out so well.
Now I'm divorced. :lol:

See msinger's reply for better info on the subject. ;)

So I could do the aerial video myself since I wouldn't be getting paid? What if I paid an amateur to give me lessons on how to shoot a wedding? At a wedding.

proliance said:
So I could do the aerial video myself since I wouldn't be getting paid?
Right. As long as you're not charging anything for your services and/or no money is being made from the videos/photos, then you're flying for fun as far as the FAA is concerned.

proliance said:
What if I paid an amateur to give me lessons on how to shoot a wedding?
The other guy might want to check with the FAA if he's offering training services that involve flying. That certainly won't be your problem though.

sergekouper, good point. In general, it's not a good idea to fly closer than 500 feet to people. Or, so says the FAA anyhow.

A couple of points to keep in mind.
Phantoms are noisy - they sound like a million angry bees if they are within 50 feet.
They have extreme wideangle lenses so you can only get recognisable photos of people if you come in fairly close.
Because of these two features, you probably won't be using them during the service except to get some distant establishing shots showing the setting. If you bring it down close enough for detail, it's going to be too distracting and intrusive.
After the ceremony, it's good for big group photos - like having a 25 ft tall tripod.

Reactions: Ti22
anyone saying no maybe isn't creative enough to make it work...

i think you should go for it ... doing something different combined with standard photography and videography and combining all in one will be amazing..

noise aside , fly higher and tilt gimbal or fly beyond ceremony and take pictures looking back ...

go for it. worse case you have extra footage with a unique perspective of the ceremonies.. being able to in one from capture the entire attendees is impossible with a standard camera on the ground...

Reactions: DarylV
I flew a wedding as a favor for my coworker. Afterwards, I gave the video to the videographer. I didn't fly for commercial reasons and wasn't paid.

I had nightmares of crashing into the wedding cake, flinging frosting all over the bride's mother.

Clipper707 said:
I had nightmares of crashing into the wedding cake, flinging frosting all over the bride's mother.
:lol:

Just make sure you get the ok from the venue owner all my videos have been on my couples own private property and they loved seeing there property from that prospective. Last thing you need is the owner shooting it out of the sky ..lol

That leaves me with looking for a volunteer to shoot some outdoor scenes for the wedding. Is there anyone who would like to help out for a few hours in Spring Hill, TN in April?

Meta4 said:
A couple of points to keep in mind.
Phantoms are noisy - they sound like a million angry bees if they are within 50 feet.
They have extreme wideangle lenses so you can only get recognisable photos of people if you come in fairly close.
Because of these two features, you probably won't be using them during the service except to get some distant establishing shots showing the setting. If you bring it down close enough for detail, it's going to be too distracting and intrusive.
After the ceremony, it's good for big group photos - like having a 25 ft tall tripod.

I shot a friend's wedding last spring at his request. He became a P2V and P2 owner pilot after seeing mine a few months prior. His wife rolled her eyes, ultimately smiling and agreeing; wedding planner however was not happy. "How little do you need to have that thing flying?". Only because Paul really wanted some signature Phantom Phootage (TM) did I decide to give it a go. Sweating bricks because my P2 had been acting up a bit, (and on the following flight a week later it totaling went AWOL from a GPS hover and crashed). Got priceless footage of the event, and also planted (with bride and groom consent) two other GoPro's, one capturing audio of string quartet (to be dubbing over soundtrack of angry bees) and one capturing the full ceremony up close ("ground cam" at knee level on a light standard <10' from ceremony). Post ceremony our couple dozen friends assembled and waved at the drone as I did a slow fly-over and back. Wedding planner rolling her eyes all the while. Property owner totally supportive and excited to see stills and videos of his winery. Used a 5.4mm lens for normal FOV on all cams. So my recommendation is do it, assuming you have good/reasonable support from bride and groom, and at least begrudging consent from property owner and wedding planner.

I earned $0.00 for this event, in case FAA is wondering.

Kelly

Reactions: DarylV
We were recently at a wonderful outdoor wedding and with all the dancing and partying the thought certainly crossed our minds - “what a wonderful camera shot from a MR (multi rotor)”. Definitely worth looking into but also several caveats.

If you have GREAT flying skills, perform pre-flight checks and understand the “liability” for damage lies with ONLY you. The way to proceed, imo would be with an announcement or better yet, written permission form to conduct the “private” filming and photography from above.

Some people (and animals) will just never be comfortable with the intense forces generated when flying a MR in close proximity. If the majority want to do it however, invite the dissenters and animals indoors for the duration of the shot.

All said is predicated doing this as a “private” friend and preferably family member. It could be a wonderful way to capture amazing life moments. But, we’re responsible for damages caused by our MR’s and people should be made aware of the potential hazard (“hit by foul ball”, is good example) but most importantly receive collective permission to be “flown over” for video photography purposes.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4