Anyone Crazy enough to make a one-way flight?

Don't you think you would perhaps waste power by having VPS on for long range flights?
Maybe but if your bird is landing on its own don't you want VPS on to make certain it lands softly. Remember under the circumstances I have listed for this flight you won't be there to land it yourself.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Maybe but if your bird is landing on its own don't you want VPS on to make certain it lands softly. Remember under the circumstances I have listed for this flight you won't be there to land it yourself.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
I thought the VPS would assist it to land softly.

That's my understanding but I don't really know. That's what I asking.. Essentially ground level of the landing point where I'm thinking of trying this is about 200 feet higher than the home point landing point. So I'm interested in just how this will effect the landing.

That's my understanding but I don't really know. That's what I asking.. Essentially ground level of the landing point where I'm thinking of trying this is about 200 feet higher than the home point landing point. So I'm interested in just how this will effect the landing.

I found this thread because I was searching for "Vision Positioning System". I never fly indoors and was wondering if anyone had removed the module to save weight and possibly use that space under the bird for something else. I hadn't even considered that it was used during the auto-landings - but it makes perfect sense.

I've never noticed any way of turning VPS on and off - but I would think that they have some intelligence built around it so that the battery drain is nominal. For example - if you are flying at an altitude above 10m, there no reason to have it on - it should go into a "sleep" mode until you begin to descend. If there *is* a way to turn it off the firmware can probably turn it on if an auto landing is triggered by low battery or via the DII Go app. Of course that's all speculation - but seems logical.

I've definitely been wanting to try a one way flight to a destination about 4 miles away where a fresh battery will be waiting. The only reason I haven't tried it yet is because of an experience I had during my first week of ownership last year. I was selling my house and made some pretty cool POI vids for my real estate ad. I saw my neighbour about 7 doors down was also selling his house so I offered to make him some vids too.

Anyhow - I carried the drone over to his house - powered it up and let the home point update on the middle of his driveway. I did a couple of POI circuits of his house - then flew across the street into the park and flew around a bit more just for fun. Finally - when I was done at the park, I flew it into my backyard and landed it right beside the steps to my deck. I shut off the motors using the left stick down for 3 seconds. All this time I hadn't moved from the sidewalk in front of my neighbours house. Anyhow. Successful flight. I was happy - so I powered off the remote and walked home. I was curious how close to the deck steps I had managed to land using only the video screen so I cut through the house an went immediately to the backyard to find....NOTHING!!! I'll skip over everything that went through my head over the next 10 minutes when I was panicking - and I very nearly knocked on my next door neighbours house to politely ask them if they had stolen my drone. What had happened was that by turning off the RC, it triggered the lost connection RTH - even though the drone was landed! As I was walking home, the drone was ascending to 40m and flying back to my neighbours driveway! I got it back after about 10 minutes of panic - but I don't know how to prevent that same sort of thing happening in a 1-way flight. How do I prevent it from engaging RTH when the battery gets low? I don't want an autonomous landing because the battery is critical. I want to land manually at my friends house. But once it's landed - I want it to STAY landed!

I found this thread because I was searching for "Vision Positioning System". I never fly indoors and was wondering if anyone had removed the module to save weight and possibly use that space under the bird for something else. I hadn't even considered that it was used during the auto-landings - but it makes perfect sense.

I've never noticed any way of turning VPS on and off - but I would think that they have some intelligence built around it so that the battery drain is nominal. For example - if you are flying at an altitude above 10m, there no reason to have it on - it should go into a "sleep" mode until you begin to descend. If there *is* a way to turn it off the firmware can probably turn it on if an auto landing is triggered by low battery or via the DII Go app. Of course that's all speculation - but seems logical.

I've definitely been wanting to try a one way flight to a destination about 4 miles away where a fresh battery will be waiting. The only reason I haven't tried it yet is because of an experience I had during my first week of ownership last year. I was selling my house and made some pretty cool POI vids for my real estate ad. I saw my neighbour about 7 doors down was also selling his house so I offered to make him some vids too.

Anyhow - I carried the drone over to his house - powered it up and let the home point update on the middle of his driveway. I did a couple of POI circuits of his house - then flew across the street into the park and flew around a bit more just for fun. Finally - when I was done at the park, I flew it into my backyard and landed it right beside the steps to my deck. I shut off the motors using the left stick down for 3 seconds. All this time I hadn't moved from the sidewalk in front of my neighbours house. Anyhow. Successful flight. I was happy - so I powered off the remote and walked home. I was curious how close to the deck steps I had managed to land using only the video screen so I cut through the house an went immediately to the backyard to find....NOTHING!!! I'll skip over everything that went through my head over the next 10 minutes when I was panicking - and I very nearly knocked on my next door neighbours house to politely ask them if they had stolen my drone. What had happened was that by turning off the RC, it triggered the lost connection RTH - even though the drone was landed! As I was walking home, the drone was ascending to 40m and flying back to my neighbours driveway! I got it back after about 10 minutes of panic - but I don't know how to prevent that same sort of thing happening in a 1-way flight. How do I prevent it from engaging RTH when the battery gets low? I don't want an autonomous landing because the battery is critical. I want to land manually at my friends house. But once it's landed - I want it to STAY landed!
I'm not sure how it would automatically start back up. I also landed like you. But I did not let better get low. I then restarted from s distance and brought it back to me. But the whole point was for experimentation not something I would frequently do. I guess the only option you would have is to change the settings to hover if battery gets low. Nothing says it has to fly back to the home point. Set the altitude on critically battery. Hit hover and at 10% it will auto land. Right there in your yard still. Just test it many times before trusting it from distance.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20