Anyone actually gotten a citation?

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has been issued a citation, ticket or a fine for flying a drone in a no-fly area?

Only asking because I received a citation this weekend from a city park ranger! Ouch!!

What was it for? And how much?
Sorry for ya....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

ok we need details

Reactions: Mark The Droner
wow we are left hanging on this thread good of been a real good one

I was visiting family in Southern California and stopped to fly in and undeveloped open space in the foothills. It turns out this is now a city park and preserve with a new hiking trail. There was a very small "model aircraft prohibited" sign posted but I did not see it. Suddenly a park ranger truck was in front of me asking me what I was doing. I told him I was flying a drone and he looked at me like I was an idiot! I landed and he took my DL license told me to standby the car. He came back with a citation and wanted my autograph.

I grew up in this town and have flown at the spot many times of the last 20 years and have never had a problem. But times change. I never thought he was going to write me a ticket, a warning would've been sufficient! I was a little bit shocked and never got a chance to give him my "I'm a photographer I'm trying to preserve this place forever, just like you!"speech.

If a city park has a warning sign regardless of its size, & the city has an ordinance prohibiting flying in the park & you disregard the ordinance? Sorry, your bad.

state park we went to had no sign plus its on the beach
DJI_0003 (1).JPG

I was visiting family in Southern California and stopped to fly in and undeveloped open space in the foothills. It turns out this is now a city park and preserve with a new hiking trail. There was a very small "model aircraft prohibited" sign posted but I did not see it. Suddenly a park ranger truck was in front of me asking me what I was doing. I told him I was flying a drone and he looked at me like I was an idiot! I landed and he took my DL license told me to standby the car. He came back with a citation and wanted my autograph.

Does it reference the particular ordnance number or something like that?

is it shown in the B4UFLY app as a NFZ?

I'm not currently using that app. I've tried it, it does not seem to work very. I do have an app by the FAA called AirMap. There is nothing listed about a preserve but it is just on the edge of a municipal airport.

Last edited:
A Phantom is not a model aircraft, it's a small but full size one.

wow, if that's a park then I really feel sorry for you Californians. To this east coaster that looks like a giant fire hazard waiting to burn. And no, I'm not a pyro, but open field with high brown grass with summer lightning means quick spark blaze.

Sorry to hear they are such dips out there, makes me glad I have a local state rep who is actually pro drone even though she doesn't fly nor does her immediate family.

Reactions: MasterBlaster
Here is the county ordinance.

"No person shall land, launch or operate any model aircraft, whether gas-powered or electric or other propulsion, within any county recreation area except in posted designated areas or with prior written permission of the county director of community services or deputy director."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20