Anybody using self tightening CF props?

Reaction score
I’m testing a set, did balance (heavy on 2) and they reduce a lot the vibrations, but when taking off I have to use almost full throtle, and the Phantom turns almost uncontrollable, any tip to fix this?

Re: Any body using self tightening CF props?

FedeVision said:
I’m testing a set, did balance (heavy on 2) and they reduce a lot the vibrations, but when taking off I have to use almost full throtle, and the Phantom turns almost uncontrollable, any tip to fix this?

Yes, remove them.

ianwood said:
Yes, remove them.

Hahaha, was expecting for that kind of answer but not that fast.

I have heard nothing but bad things when people us CF props on the Phantom. The stock DJI P2 props are the best. Some people just have to find this out first hand I guess. ;)

CF does not always equate to better performance, looks...meh.

DesertFlyer53 said:
I have heard nothing but bad things when people us CF props on the Phantom. The stock DJI P2 props are the best. Some people just have to find this out first hand I guess. ;)
The stock props might be the best for some, but not for all. If you get the CF props balanced properly, its not even close. CF props are so much better than the cheat plastic ones. Faster response time, more stable, and faster flight. There is no question about it.

cameralensrentals said:
The stock props might be the best for some, but not for all. If you get the CF props balanced properly, its not even close. CF props are so much better than the cheat plastic ones. Faster response time, more stable, and faster flight. There is no question about it.

That may be true on other platforms but it is simply not true on the P2, balanced or not. This has been discussed ad nauseam. All evidence points to the contrary.

I quote myself:

ianwood said:
Any prop that is a CF copy of the stock prop is a almost guaranteed to be problematic. The stock blade works well because it flexes. It has an aggressive pitch and the flex helps to keep it from losing laminar flow in turbulence and hard maneuvers. Take the flex away and you have a prop that is too aggressively pitched for the P2.
ianwood said:
The P2 prop only works with the flex that is inherent to its design. If you stiffen the blade, you need to decrease the pitch / reduce the angle of attack or lose a lot of weight to maintain stability under normal operating conditions. Just do a search to see all the reports of crashes caused by CF props.
https://www.google.com/webhp?#q=site:ww ... rbon+crash

I'm not ready to surrender yet :roll: , would like to do a few more tests at 6 - 10 feet high,
guess my trouble is with vertical gain, 250 at moment with stock props because of extra weight,
my guess is that I need to increase it even more, to obtain sustentability and more control with the CFP,
am I wrong on this idea?

If you insist on ignoring very good advice about CF props, take your gopro ect off. No sense in destroying it with your Phantom. I myself thought I would prove everyone wrong with these things and my Phantom 2 fell from the sky like everyone else's. Some say try adjusting your pitch ect to counter the stiffness of these propellers but quite frankly it's just not worth it. If DJI intended the Phantom to fly with them they would offer a DJI CF prop.

And what about DSRL Pros CFP? Anyone using those?
Any news on DJI's 9450 props?
Sorry to insist on this, but my P2 is so heavy that is me giving control and early landing issues,
so I'm trying to find something that helps to solve this.

Speaking from my own experiences I believe that the Phantom just simply does not need CF props. It is not a sports flyer. Like thousands before me I tried CF props on my P2 but it just looked like it was having an epileptic fit when it took off, shaking and wobbling around like crazy. I landed it immediately, removed the props and binned them. Stick with the factory props, you will regret experimenting with knock-off CF props sooner or later. Probably sooner.

Also no one here has yet mentioned how dangerous they can be. Getting hit with a CF prop will do a lot more damage than a stock prop.

I have some self tightening carbon fiber props from DSLR pros... They work well and are quite stiff.

I have not been hit with them nor the stock dji blades yet and I really don't want to be

As far as weight is concerned it only knocks off 16grams from stock

DSLR Pros Sundance with stock dji props = 1350g
DSLR Pros Sundance with CF self tightening props = 1334g

Thank you all for your reply, would like to test that E300 ESCs, (motors and props seems regular ones on description),
and the DSRL Pros props.

Pacific Barbarian said:
Yeah, had a crash with CF props after installing FPV setup. Binned the CF props.

It's a pity you didn't come here first. You would have saved yourself a crash.

HarryT said:
Pacific Barbarian said:
Yeah, had a crash with CF props after installing FPV setup. Binned the CF props.

It's a pity you didn't come here first. You would have saved yourself a crash.

True. I was surprised by the little damage. Battery popped out, just a scratch on the gopro and gimbal, and had to do an IMU calibration. Flying again!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub