Anybody Using One of these Tablets

Reaction score
I have poured over this forum and the link on suggested tablets. Looking to get something with a fairly fast processor so was looking at the Shield K1. Unfortunately I missed out on the latest batch that appeared for sale on Nvidia's website.

So looking at these. Anybody use one of them for your P4?
Asus ZenPad Z580CA
ASUS ZenPad Z580CA-C1-BK Tablet Intel Atom Z3580 2.33 GHz 4 GB Memory 64 GB eMMC 8.0" 2048 x 1536 Touchscreen 2K IPS 5 MP Front / 8 MP Rear Camera Android 5.0 (Lollipop)-Newegg.com

Hi there. Not exactly the answer I think you are looking for, but I have a P4 and have had about 5 different tablets since I purchased it last year when it was first announced.
I finally ended up with an Apple Air 2, 8" tablet. It is the best of the best, and can be purchased used for a very reasonable price. You can see it in all but the brightest of sunshine, and even then it is usable if your walk into the least bit of shade. I do have a nice sunshade for it, and can see it well in under any conditions. In the daytime sunshine, I wear yellow sunglasses. That brings up the contrast and makes it even better to see in bright sunlight. I am not an apple lover at all, but after trying every other kind of tablet, I highly recommend that you give the Air 2 8" a try. It is one fabulous piece of hardware, and work very good with the P4. Mine does not have the GPS function. I downloaded the Google Maps for all the areas that i fly in, and they are stored in the Apple Cache now for about the past 3 months. I paid about $250 for it on eBay, and it was perfect except a couple of small scratches on the screen. You cannot even see them when it is turned on. I am not aware of any other tablet that you can see this well in bright sunlight.
As I said, not an answer to your questions, but based on my experience buying and trying a bunch of different tablets and phones.
George

Reactions: nickyb
George thanks for the reply. I am considering an IPad but really dislike them not having the GPS plus you pay a premium for a name. They are clearly great devices. I travel a lot and hate the idea of not having GPS and always having to download google maps.

I have a nexus 7. The video lags occasionally so it might not work for you. I bought a used 1 for $100.

I have poured over this forum and the link on suggested tablets. Looking to get something with a fairly fast processor so was looking at the Shield K1. Unfortunately I missed out on the latest batch that appeared for sale on Nvidia's website.

So looking at these. Anybody use one of them for your P4?
Asus ZenPad Z580CA
ASUS ZenPad Z580CA-C1-BK Tablet Intel Atom Z3580 2.33 GHz 4 GB Memory 64 GB eMMC 8.0" 2048 x 1536 Touchscreen 2K IPS 5 MP Front / 8 MP Rear Camera Android 5.0 (Lollipop)-Newegg.com
I don't think that Asus unit on the approved list from DJI. That unit has a CISC processor, an Intel Atom X86 which generally consumes more power than RISC processors like in the Shield or ipads. I would be concerned about power consumption, but that's just me. I'm not an apple fan by no means, I have real problems with their limitations, file management and crappy text editor, but for flying my P4, that's what I use. It's definitely not cheap, I have cellular support for GPS and downloading maps and Litchi missions. I've tried two Samsung Android tablets (a year ago mind you) and neither worked well, latency issues. Since my wife's ipad mini worked great, I broke down and did what I never thought I'd do, buy and ipad for myself. If you buy that Asus unit, let us know how it works, I'm curious.

I don't think that Asus unit on the approved list from DJI. That unit has a CISC processor, an Intel Atom X86 which generally consumes more power than RISC processors like in the Shield or ipads. I would be concerned about power consumption, but that's just me. I'm not an apple fan by no means, I have real problems with their limitations, file management and crappy text editor, but for flying my P4, that's what I use. It's definitely not cheap, I have cellular support for GPS and downloading maps and Litchi missions. I've tried two Samsung Android tablets (a year ago mind you) and neither worked well, latency issues. Since my wife's ipad mini worked great, I broke down and did what I never thought I'd do, buy and ipad for myself. If you buy that Asus unit, let us know how it works, I'm curious.
I am not going to buy any tablet that isn't on the "list" until I hear some positive feedback. Right now I am leaning toward just waiting for another batch of Shield K1s to come out. Just can't convince myself to buy an IPad with no GPS and the price to boot.

George thanks for the reply. I am considering an IPad but really dislike them not having the GPS plus you pay a premium for a name. They are clearly great devices. I travel a lot and hate the idea of not having GPS and always having to download google maps.
Ebay is your friend here. With a little patience I was able to get an iPad Air 2 64gb LTE version for under $300. Has a couple dings on the back, but the screen is good so I couldn't care less.

Maybe so but I haven't seen a quad that is even close in features.

And most would agree there's a reason you pay for that bitten apple on the back of the iPad too. Not being argumentative. Just making the same point. You pay for it, and despite the arguments us techs may make, millions upon millions of consumers have voted with their hard earned dollars... And continue to every single day.

WF

I totally get what you are saying. And I don't disagree....too much. I just think that other products are rapidly approaching Apple level in what they offer. In fact in some areas I think they surpass Apple. So the gap in tech has closed some especially compared to the price differences.

I use the Asus zenpad s.8 and works perfectly. I don't use Dji go app I use it with litchi and it's a beast. @ John locke my Samsung edge 6 is not on the list and it works fine . Personally I think the dji go is garbage . Anyways for the price of the Asus pad it's totally worth it . Plays 2.7k resolution and the colors are awesome. I was concerned about picking this one over the shield but I'm glad I did.

Sent from my SM-G925V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: ifsteve
I use the Asus zenpad s.8 and works perfectly. I don't use Dji go app I use it with litchi and it's a beast. @ John locke my Samsung edge 6 is not on the list and it works fine . Personally I think the dji go is garbage . Anyways for the price of the Asus pad it's totally worth it . Plays 2.7k resolution and the colors are awesome. I was concerned about picking this one over the shield but I'm glad I did.

Sent from my SM-G925V using PhantomPilots mobile app

You should have seen what we had only 10 years ago. ;)

Reactions: bigstalks
There is nothing more related to a flying DJI product than the tablet that is used to communicate with it. I can't even believe I just had to write that.

Exactly. My point is that this isn't related to the P4 specifically. The question can be helpful to other Phantom owners and get better answers too if posted to a general forum instead of here.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj