Anybody try the waypoint features on Autopilot 3.0

Reaction score
I saw someone posted that Autopilot 3.0 was released. Has anyone tried the waypoint features? They look awesome. How does it compare to Airnest? Airnest looks like a real simple app to use. I'm surprised DJI doesn't step up to the plate with similar features in their app.

Yes. I have had the Beta version for a couple weeks. Used the Waypoint feature a lot. It's pretty amazing. I dont know Airnest so I can't compare it. I ran into a few problems but for the most part worked just as advertised. I love how you can completely plan out your camera angles, altitude, speed, etc. I did an intricate course a couple days ago and it worked like a charm.

It will be nice to explore how it is compared to Litchi. Litchi is nice, but have some limitations, especially when it comes to camera angle (gimbal) transitions.

What I really like with Litchi though, is the ability to plan the flights on a computer via their new online mission hub.

Autopilot is already a killer app, but the day they come up with a similar solution, they'll be unbeatable.

It will be nice to explore how it is compared to Litchi. Litchi is nice, but have some limitations, especially when it comes to camera angle (gimbal) transitions.

What I really like with Litchi though, is the ability to plan the flights on a computer via their new online mission hub.

Autopilot is already a killer app, but the day they come up with a similar solution, they'll be unbeatable.
Check out this comparison here. I've recently updated the review. iOS Waypoint App Comparison: Litchi 1.0 vs Autopilot 3.0 | DJI Phantom Forum

Also note- AP has ability to plan waypoints offline on a computer and import the KML/KMZ file.

Have you found autopilot is faithful to the plan on location accuracy and altitude?

In other words, how much "buffer space" should I add?

If a tree is 80 feet and I program 100 is autopilot going to stay faithful to that?

I know I need to give any ascending altitude time to be reached. I'm just wondering how accurate your finding the actual mission to what you programmed?

Have you found autopilot is faithful to the plan on location accuracy and altitude?

In other words, how much "buffer space" should I add?

If a tree is 80 feet and I program 100 is autopilot going to stay faithful to that?

I know I need to give any ascending altitude time to be reached. I'm just wondering how accurate your finding the actual mission to what you programmed?
It's hard to give you a number as there are several factors involved. I've found it to be pretty accurate and most important repeatable in relation to the takeoff altitude. The disclaimer states to allow for inaccuracies in the phantom GPS and/or barometer ( +/- 16ft ).

If you are trying to get real close, you are best to manually fly to a location from a repeatable takeoff point. Check the altitude and use that a guide. You should be good assuming your flight points are on same horizontal plane. However, If your flights change altitude between points make sure to add some buffer and adjust the altitude priority setting per the application. The amount depends on the distance between points. The P3 varies greatly in its ability to raise/lower while traveling horizontally especially with wind. Net - I don't have a magic number, so use more than you think you need. Also, make sure not to 'engage' the system at a high point when it needs to fly to a lower point and there is an obstruction in the shortest path to that start point. This seems obvious, but can bite you with waypoints if you are not considering it.

Reactions: jimerb
I haven't taken AP3 outside yet but is it free easy to record waypoints by flying the drone into position (like DJI Go)? Otherwise gauging the correct altitude would be cumbersome.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Great feedback 2nd2non.

Tom, The strength of autopilot is that you can Map out your mission ahead of time but you can create waypoints based on current position.

I'm planning on establishing a mission with extra altitude built in ahead of time and then lowering it after I fly it once and can observe distances to obstructions below.

At least that way the locations and focus points are established and I can just fine tune for trip 2.

Also note- AP has ability to plan waypoints offline on a computer and import the KML/KMZ file.

First of all, thanks for the useful review.

Maybe I'm a little slow, but how is the offline planning done? I've read trough the flight school, and so far I understand that this can be done with a specia planning screen in the app. But can it be done on a computer or online?

It's pretty easy in the app. Watch the 2nd waypoint video in the tutorials. It goes over it in great detail. I don't think there is a computer version short of the kmz files with google earth.

28 May 2017... Let's see if I can rekindle this conversation. I tried importing kml files from Google Earth to Autopilot in the past few days and found two problems: (1) The altitudes are not imported - they are all set to the default altitude, and I don't know how to correct this problem, and (2) The path is backwards! In other words, the first point in the path becomes the last waypoint, etc. How do you overcome these problems, or did I set something wrong? Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.