Anybody successfully disassembled a Garmin GTU 10?

Reaction score
I have a Garmin GTU 10 that I would like to disassemble and mount inside my Phantom. Has anybody managed to get the thing apart without breaking it? I've tried using a narrow flathead screwdriver as a lever but the thing won't budget -- I'm worried it is epoxied shut. Would appreciate any advice that folks can lend; I've already made a bit of a mess of the exterior plastic.

Question - Why would you want to mount it inside?

Would be a royal pain to turn on/off and charging would be next pain. I just velcro it to the side using their HD velcro - works like a charm.

EMCSQUAR said:

Would be a royal pain to turn on/off and charging would be next pain. I just velcro it to the side using their HD velcro - works like a charm.

I can save the weight of the housing and attach a lighter battery. I plan to solder a USB extension cable for easy charging access.

bees said:
EMCSQUAR said:

I can save the weight of the housing and attach a lighter battery. I plan to solder a USB extension cable for easy charging access.

I looked at doing this too but it is an absolute pig to open up. There is a small screw under hinge part of USB rubber cover (you have to peel it back firmly as it is glued down but you risk ripping it clean off). You then do what you've been trying but you will need to butcher the plastic to make it budge as the clips are designed to be 1way. The housing itself won't save you much weight at all (15g?). The weight is in the battery and moreso the GPS reciever shielding and main board (i was surprised how bulky they were).

Personally I'd avoid messing with it for the sake of a few grams. Currently if you crash with it the GTU10 will stay in one piece and is weather proof. Without protection the sensitive parts may well not survive an impact and soldered wires could get severed too so you end up losing an expensive Phantom, Camera and Tracker if it severs the battery wires. You might loose 45 seconds to 1 min flight time max with the weight you save.... not really worth the risk IMO (hence mine is firmly back together!).

DeweyAXD said:
bees said:
EMCSQUAR said:

I looked at doing this too but it is an absolute pig to open up. There is a small screw under hinge part of USB rubber cover (you have to peel it back firmly as it is glued down but you risk ripping it clean off). You then do what you've been trying but you will need to butcher the plastic to make it budge as the clips are designed to be 1way. The housing itself won't save you much weight at all (15g?). The weight is in the battery and moreso the GPS reciever shielding and main board (i was surprised how bulky they were).

Personally I'd avoid messing with it for the sake of a few grams. Currently if you crash with it the GTU10 will stay in one piece and is weather proof. Without protection the sensitive parts may well not survive an impact and soldered wires could get severed too so you end up losing an expensive Phantom, Camera and Tracker if it severs the battery wires. You might loose 45 seconds to 1 min flight time max with the weight you save.... not really worth the risk IMO (hence mine is firmly back together!).
Wow, didn't expect so much info. Thank you very much for this. I'll heed your advice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic