Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Anybody exploring caves with their drones?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tarzan!, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Tarzan!

I searched and found a few old threads, but none that were too recent. I was wondering if anybody has been flying their drones in any caves and if they've had any issues/tips about flying in the caves?

I mostly plan to fly in the larger caves to limit the risk of a collision, but there are a couple spots I'd like to get my eyes on that we can't reach without bolting a route in the in the cave (trying not to cause unnecessary damage unless there is indeed more passages beyond what we can see). I wouldn't be sending it far out of sight (maybe 15 feet or less from line of sight), but wasn't sure if that would be enough to lose the signal since it's solid limestone.

2. With The Birds

Out of direct LOS is too big a risk where you almost certainly don't have GPS available.

3. Mark The Droner

I suspect your signal would be okay because you'd be close and the signal would bounce around. Still - definitely risky. It would be so easy to become disoriented and crash.

4. WetDog

You would be relying on VPS to keep you from wandering. You would not have the stability that GPS positioning affords you. You would have to put lights on the thing (easy).

Sounds like a way to buy a new drone.....

A little wriggler bot hooked up to a cable seems more sensible.

5. Tarzan!

Sounds like I'll just be flying up to get a better lateral view directly above me and not investigating into any possible passages. That's what I was assuming would be the case, but was just curious if anybody else had tried it. Thanks for the replies.

6. gmanquad

I have a little bit. Obviously, you need line of site, but I've sent it down pits to explore and a little into passages. Make sure you have a lot of room and if it's dark you will need a lot of lights.
    1.jpg

7. k4wil

I would think about the dust that you would be breathing. Bats crap etc might not be to healthy.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

8. Tarzan!

That's awesome! I have several lightweight caving lights I plan to attach to it.

9. Tarzan!

The cave and section of the cave I intend to fly in has no dust or bats. It's several miles back into the system from the entrance, so the bats don't go back this far and it's a wet cave. So dust will not be an issue. Although, that is a legitimate concern in some other caves.