Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Anybody care to help shed some light on the 333 exemption process?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mmee1992, Apr 13, 2016.

1. mmee1992

Hello,

I am hoping somebody on this forum has gone through the 333 exemption process that would be willing to share some info with me. I am a professional pilot based in southern California and I am looking to make some extra cash doing aerial photography and videography to support my hobby. Thanks in advance.

2. rcheing

3. ryantrax

Be prepared to wait... a long.... long time. I applied for mine in October 2015 and I'm still pending on the docket. The current approvals are dated September so hopefully I'll be up soon. So currently around 6-7 months I'm guessing. Good luck!

mmee1992 likes this.
  4. mmee1992

I am in no hurry. But yeah, the FAA never moves their feet fast on anything. Thanks for the insight.

5. mmee1992

Thank you so much. That is a great resource. Can you petition for exemption on a list of drones or do I have to do it separately for each drone I own? I only own a P3P for now but I plan on buying an Inspire Pro in the near future and will probably upgrade to a P4 once the price comes down or the P5 comes out.

6. rcheing

You can petition for a list of drones. In fact, it is recommended to include every UAV you think you are going to fly. Otherwise, you would need to file a new 333 exemption for every new UAV and wait the 6 months it takes the FAA to process these requests. Also, if you plan to have other pilots fly under your 333, then you should petition as a corporation or LLC instead of personally.

mmee1992 likes this.
  7. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Go ahead and include all you'll want to use (or possibly use) in the original submission. If something changes and you do decide to add another later it's a very simple process to do so but takes several weeks/months.

I submitted as an individual so that I could fly for other companies if I so desired. It's worked out well for me thus far and I'm still able to fly easily under my own company. Doing it personally makes the paper work easier when I'm working with other companies. Just make sure your insurance policy will cover you when working for others as well.

mmee1992 and rcheing like this.
  8. mmee1992

Awesome! Thanks for all of the help.

9. mmee1992

Awesome! Thank you for the help.

BigAl07 likes this.