Anybody care to help shed some light on the 333 exemption process?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am hoping somebody on this forum has gone through the 333 exemption process that would be willing to share some info with me. I am a professional pilot based in southern California and I am looking to make some extra cash doing aerial photography and videography to support my hobby. Thanks in advance.

Be prepared to wait... a long.... long time. I applied for mine in October 2015 and I'm still pending on the docket. The current approvals are dated September so hopefully I'll be up soon. So currently around 6-7 months I'm guessing. Good luck!

Reactions: mmee1992
Be prepared to wait... a long.... long time. I applied for mine in October 2015 and I'm still pending on the docket. The current approvals are dated September so hopefully I'll be up soon. So currently around 6-7 months I'm guessing. Good luck!
I am in no hurry. But yeah, the FAA never moves their feet fast on anything. Thanks for the insight.

Thank you so much. That is a great resource. Can you petition for exemption on a list of drones or do I have to do it separately for each drone I own? I only own a P3P for now but I plan on buying an Inspire Pro in the near future and will probably upgrade to a P4 once the price comes down or the P5 comes out.

You can petition for a list of drones. In fact, it is recommended to include every UAV you think you are going to fly. Otherwise, you would need to file a new 333 exemption for every new UAV and wait the 6 months it takes the FAA to process these requests. Also, if you plan to have other pilots fly under your 333, then you should petition as a corporation or LLC instead of personally.

Reactions: mmee1992
Go ahead and include all you'll want to use (or possibly use) in the original submission. If something changes and you do decide to add another later it's a very simple process to do so but takes several weeks/months.

I submitted as an individual so that I could fly for other companies if I so desired. It's worked out well for me thus far and I'm still able to fly easily under my own company. Doing it personally makes the paper work easier when I'm working with other companies. Just make sure your insurance policy will cover you when working for others as well.

You can petition for a list of drones. In fact, it is recommended to include every UAV you think you are going to fly. Otherwise, you would need to file a new 333 exemption for every new UAV and wait the 6 months it takes the FAA to process these requests. Also, if you plan to have other pilots fly under your 333, then you should petition as a corporation or LLC instead of personally.
Awesome! Thanks for all of the help.

Go ahead and include all you'll want to use (or possibly use) in the original submission. If something changes and you do decide to add another later it's a very simple process to do so but takes several weeks/months.

I submitted as an individual so that I could fly for other companies if I so desired. It's worked out well for me thus far and I'm still able to fly easily under my own company. Doing it personally makes the paper work easier when I'm working with other companies. Just make sure your insurance policy will cover you when working for others as well.
Awesome! Thank you for the help.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues