Any way to shut off gps completelly?

Reaction score
To get right to the point, the fear of a fly away just ruins all the fun of flying for me. Id like to fly in a manual only with gps off so theres no way it could find a false home position, if possible, i can keep this fun toy.
The fly away problem with the gps is a complete let down...
Is there anyone that knows how to shut it off completely or if it's even possible?
Thanks

Yea manual mode would be the answer. But this mode is for advanced pilots. The odds of you crashing and breaking your phantom flying in manual mode are probably higher than the odds of a flyaway... just saying.

I feel more comfortable with full control. all i practiced with was Manual.
How do you enable manual mode? All the tuts and documentation i have read is for the phantom 2
How do you enable this?
I cant seem to find any strait foreward answers.
I appreciate your guys patience in helping me.

As a side note id rather see my phantom crash to the ground from my control vs. It flying away to oblivion - at least i can find it if i crash. Haha

Manual mode is not quite the correct answer.

If you flip to ATTI mode, it basically does disengage the GPS , ..then the only thing that's it's using is the gyro's to stay stable in flight.
switching to Manual mode goes further and removes the gyro stabilization. But trust me, it's sketchy flying in manual mode.

regardless of what mode you're flying in tho, if for some reason there is a disconnection or loss of signal between TX and Phantom, the Phantom will then turn on return to home and will then engage GPS to attempt to fly home. - and this is where it might get into trouble. (unless you change it to immediately land if signal is lost.. but the last thing you want it to do is land if you lose signal over water!!)

Look, I feel your pain. I'll share an old expression my mother used to tell me: "Ships are safe in the harbor, but they were meant to sail". In this case, fly... let it fly, my man.

• 1. Invest in a tracker (or better, Flytrex 3G Live). You'll find it if something goes catastrophically wrong.
    2. There is no way to turn off GPS.
    3. To enable manual mode, simply go to the Phantom Assistant software. Change the s1 switch to "Manual" from RTH.
    4. Manual mode is a *****, but do-able. I fly in it occasionally (but usually with an FC40).
    5. Fix your GPS problem. Just do the foil mod.

Firstly thanks for all your guys input. Ive decided to scratch build my own copter im farely certain it will have the same lift capabilities as my prior original phantom. while being lighter in addition to the elimination of the gps and the option of adding said feature in the future. I think, for me, its the way to go.
The only downpoint is that the frame will not be as strong as the phantoms molded shell and a highly probable max range decrease. at any rate im happy with the build i chose. In time I may come back to dji products until then safe flying guys !

You seem a little TOO concerned about having a fly-away. Truth is, it's very uncommon and almost always only happens due to pilot error. Instead of trying to fly without GPS, which could cause your Phantom to crash when auto-landing (Which it does if you've no TX signal and no GPS), just remember to do everything correctly :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj