Any way to disable / override airspace failsafe geofencing?

Reaction score
The current Phantom 2 firmware includes a function that automatically initiates a failsafe return-to-home when the GPS senses the Phantom is in controlled airspace (i.e., near an airport) and the craft climbs above a certain altitude (I think about 100 feet).

Problem is, there are lots of cases where the geofenced areas are not accurate to actual controlled airspace (such as my back yard, where I am outside the 5-statute-mile radius of the nearest airport, and therefore under 14 CFR 101 am permitted to fly up to 400 feet AGL).

For this very reason, the newer Phantom models that use the DJI Go app have a means of overriding the GPS-based geofencing restrictions through the app. But the P2 doesn't use the app.

So does anyone know of a way of disabling or overriding the automatic failsafe / RTH?
I'm using the most recent firmware version.

Many thanks!

The current Phantom 2 firmware includes a function that automatically initiates a failsafe return-to-home when the GPS senses the Phantom is in controlled airspace (i.e., near an airport) and the craft climbs above a certain altitude (I think about 100 feet).

Problem is, there are lots of cases where the geofenced areas are not accurate to actual controlled airspace (such as my back yard, where I am outside the 5-statute-mile radius of the nearest airport, and therefore under 14 CFR 101 am permitted to fly up to 400 feet AGL).

For this very reason, the newer Phantom models that use the DJI Go app have a means of overriding the GPS-based geofencing restrictions through the app. But the P2 doesn't use the app.

So does anyone know of a way of disabling or overriding the automatic failsafe / RTH?
I'm using the most recent firmware version.

Many thanks!
I suspect that even though you are "outside the 5 statute mile radius of the nearest airport", you may still be in Surface B, or Restricted/Prohibited Airspace. Send your actual location via coordinates or Google Earth type link, and I'll see what I can come up with.

DJI did have an email address [email protected] where you could let them know about NFZ's, not sure what proof you would need though.

I suspect that even though you are "outside the 5 statute mile radius of the nearest airport", you may still be in Surface B, or Restricted/Prohibited Airspace. Send your actual location via coordinates or Google Earth type link, and I'll see what I can come up with.

Crack The Sky,

You're correct, I am within Surface B airspace (8nm radius from KBOS). However, under hobbyist (Part 101) rules (as differentiated from commercial, or Part 107, rules) I am still allowed to fly up to 400'AGL, as I'm more than 5 miles from the nearest airport.

This is an example of a very unfortunate quirk in the hobbyist vs. commercial rules: There are instances (such as my back yard) where operators are permitted to fly under hobbyist rules and yet licensed pilots are not (because there is controlled airspace to the surface that extends farther than 5 miles out).

(I've checked this with an aviation attorney, and it is true. Dumb, but true.)

Crack The Sky,

You're correct, I am within Surface B airspace (8nm radius from KBOS). However, under hobbyist (Part 101) rules (as differentiated from commercial, or Part 107, rules) I am still allowed to fly up to 400'AGL, as I'm more than 5 miles from the nearest airport.

This is an example of a very unfortunate quirk in the hobbyist vs. commercial rules: There are instances (such as my back yard) where operators are permitted to fly under hobbyist rules and yet licensed pilots are not (because there is controlled airspace to the surface that extends farther than 5 miles out).

Get a new attorney. Below is copied just now from the FAA sUAS website:
"Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination."

Crack The Sky,

Here is the link for your aviation attorney.
Airspace Restrictions

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers