Any tips for flying in hot weather?

Take your tablet out of the case (if you're using one) and fly in the shade when possible.

Reactions: uke and Numone
According to the documents the highest operating temp is 40 C (104 F). So it has to be pretty hot to force you not to fly. Also, keep the tablet at cool as possible to prevent lag. Oh, and drink plenty of water!

What can flying in the sun do to the drone?
I'm sure there is some kind of limit, but I've never seen anyone mention any issues other than the mobile device overheating and shutting off. Unless you live in the Sahara Desert, I don't think you're going to have any trouble with the heat.

According to the documents the highest operating temp is 40 C (104 F). So it has to be pretty hot to force you not to fly. Also, keep the tablet at cool as possible to prevent lag. Oh, and drink plenty of water!
Is that air temp, or surface temp of the bird. They will be different. I would think that the temp of the bird would be a bit higher than the air temp. But, it still has to be pretty **** hot outside. At that point, I will be just sitting in the shade drinkin' ice cold Coors Light...LOL

I have flown in Death Valley at a little over 104 F with no issues.

My first 4 flights were at the local park and after a few short flights my iPad Mini retina (with case) shut down due to heat. I was lucky that it was only 100 feet away so I was able to bring it home.
I had a Rugged Case on so I took it off, but at the same time I switched to my iPad Air 2 due to the air 2 was better to see outside than the mini retna.
Now after 50 or 60 flights I have bought a iPad mini 4, I had 4 flights with it and I love it. It's light and a much better prosser.

I flew today in Upstate South Carolina. It was 97 degrees. So hot my 6 Plus shut down due to overheat mid flight. I manually brought it back in from about 200 ft altitude and 500 ft distance. The drone wasn't affected but my iPhone was. Luckily no other issues.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

REALLY?? Then I am never going to be able to fly in the summer time. It has been 109 F or higher most days here in Las Vegas. This is normal every summer. I guess I will just have to take my chances and keep flying. Hopefully it does not cause any trouble and if it does hopefully will not cause warranty issues.

Reactions: DKG13CC
upload_2016-7-17_22-15-22.png

Been getting more propulsion output limited notifications in 96+ F but makes no difference otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm sure there is some kind of limit, but I've never seen anyone mention any issues other than the mobile device overheating and shutting off. Unless you live in the Sahara Desert, I don't think you're going to have any trouble with the heat.
One of mine went to 52c today flying in 31c and got the propulsion output limited notification.
I reduced the flying speeds and did more gentle turns on the 2nd battery and that one stayed down to 45c. Amazing how much that change helped..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik