Any takers on the latest update of DJI GO App

Thanks for the replies but I just realized that my post was a bit of a thread hijack so I'll look for a better place to re-post the problem.

Just as a data point, I decided to set up my backup kit with the latest software as a test.

I normally use an Air 2, so my backup is a Mini 2. Here's what I did:

1. Updated GO from 2.3.0 to 2.4.1
With the Mini 2 still on iOS 8.4, I updated (via App store) from GO 2.3.0 to 2.4.1. Once downloaded, I launched GO and went through the "How to Connect" process (power up RC, power up P3, plug in iPad) without issue to get to Camera view. I then had to do the iPad compass calibration. Verified all settings in GO - changing those that are not already stored on the P3. Note that I ignored the notice to upgrade the RC from 1.3.2 to 1.4.3. I then boxed up my kit and drove to a nearby park to set up there. I had to do the iPad compass calibration again which I found a bit odd. Flew with no issues, no signal loss, smooth video. Max distance was only about 1500 feet, but with trees. I would say it was a successful test, though a small sample size. A couple of short check out flights, and one longer flight. Went home.

2. Updated the Mini 2 from iOS 8.4 to iOS 9.1
Powered up RC, powered up P3, launched GO and went to Camera view. Checked settings again - no change. Again I ignored the notice to upgrade the RC from 1.3.2 to 1.4.3. I had to do the iPad compass calibration for now a third time. Hmm, weird. Boxed up my kit and drove to the same park to set up there. Flew with no issues, no signal loss, smooth video. I flew the same path as my longest flight before. Max distance was only about 1500 feet, but with trees. I would say it was another successful test. FYI - I used the same P3 battery that I used before. My P3 did not explode when I lifted off with less than 100% charge. Went home.

3. Updated the RC (GL300A) from 1.3.2 to 1.4.3
Powered up RC, powered up P3, launched GO and went to Camera view. This time I initiated the RC upgrade from 1.3.2 to 1.4.3. I did this with some hesitation since it is my only RC (not a backup unit) and I knew that once I went to 1.4.3 I could not go back to 1.3.2. The update went smoothly, taking only about 4-5 minutes until it said successful, reboot RC. It was my first RC update without using an SD card reader, so that was cool. I rebooted the RC, checked all settings and then boxed up my kit and drove to the same park. Flew one fresh battery with no issues, no signal loss, smooth FPV. I started with a short check out flight, and then I flew the same longer path as before. Max distance was only about 1500 feet, but with trees. I would say it was another successful test. Went home.

I started with iOS 8.4, GO 2.3.0, RC 1.3.2. I ended up with iOS 9.1, GO 2.4.1, RC 1.4.3. All the while on P3 FW 1.4.1.

No issues, though I still find it interesting that I had to the iPad compass calibration three times.

I realize that it is frustrating for folks who DO have issues to hear someone say NO ISSUES. Still, I wanted to share my tests today to the community in case it helps someone with their own setup.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Just to let you guys know I just found out that "Format data recorder" option is missing. If you guys find anything else missing please update here.
I could swear I saw that. I'll look again. I have noticed that
Just as a data point, I decided to set up my backup kit with the latest software as a test.

I normally use an Air 2, so my backup is a Mini 2. Here's what I did:

1. Updated GO from 2.3.0 to 2.4.1
With the Mini 2 still on iOS 8.4, I updated (via App store) from GO 2.3.0 to 2.4.1. Once downloaded, I launched GO and went through the "How to Connect" process (power up RC, power up P3, plug in iPad) without issue to get to Camera view. I then had to do the iPad compass calibration. Verified all settings in GO - changing those that are not already stored on the P3. Note that I ignored the notice to upgrade the RC from 1.3.2 to 1.4.3. I then boxed up my kit and drove to a nearby park to set up there. I had to do the iPad compass calibration again which I found a bit odd. Flew with no issues, no signal loss, smooth video. Max distance was only about 1500 feet, but with trees. I would say it was a successful test, though a small sample size. A couple of short check out flights, and one longer flight. Went home.

2. Updated the Mini 2 from iOS 8.4 to iOS 9.1
Powered up RC, powered up P3, launched GO and went to Camera view. Checked settings again - no change. Again I ignored the notice to upgrade the RC from 1.3.2 to 1.4.3. I had to do the iPad compass calibration for now a third time. Hmm, weird. Boxed up my kit and drove to the same park to set up there. Flew with no issues, no signal loss, smooth video. I flew the same path as my longest flight before. Max distance was only about 1500 feet, but with trees. I would say it was another successful test. FYI - I used the same P3 battery that I used before. My P3 did not explode when I lifted off with less than 100% charge. Went home.

3. Updated the RC (GL300A) from 1.3.2 to 1.4.3
Powered up RC, powered up P3, launched GO and went to Camera view. This time I initiated the RC upgrade from 1.3.2 to 1.4.3. I did this with some hesitation since it is my only RC (not a backup unit) and I knew that once I went to 1.4.3 I could not go back to 1.3.2. The update went smoothly, taking only about 4-5 minutes until it said successful, reboot RC. It was my first RC update without using an SD card reader, so that was cool. I rebooted the RC, checked all settings and then boxed up my kit and drove to the same park. Flew one fresh battery with no issues, no signal loss, smooth FPV. I started with a short check out flight, and then I flew the same longer path as before. Max distance was only about 1500 feet, but with trees. I would say it was another successful test. Went home.

I started with iOS 8.4, GO 2.3.0, RC 1.3.2. I ended up with iOS 9.1, GO 2.4.1, RC 1.4.3. All the while on P3 FW 1.4.1.

No issues, though I still find it interesting that I had to the iPad compass calibration three times.

I realize that it is frustrating for folks who DO have issues to hear someone say NO ISSUES. Still, I wanted to share my tests today to the community in case it helps someone with their own setup.

Cheers.
I get the ipad compass calibration a lot too. I think it's an IOS ipad thing-bug-, not the go app. It does calm down though, if you keep the ipad on all the time, which I do. I have taken to not swiping the go app from history too, which may account for the ipad compass calibration settling down too. Not sure which helps, always on or the go app always in history. And it is certainly a PIA to have to do that calibration with an air2 on the rc just when you're ready to fly.

Reactions: Oso
I notice a new "Path" (AirNest) type function in 2.4.1. It's currently blizarding here so I can't run out and test it myself. Anyone?

I also wanted to throw my 2 cents in about "all the trouble" with the P3x series. I have two P3Ps operating with an iPad Air (no cell). Everything has worked as advertised since day one with no problems after any updates. I do read forums regularly to keep up with possible issues, of which I have encountered none. There's still plenty of good information being shared on these pages. I am not employed by DJI or anyone else currently. I agree that most people posting about technical problems (other than the dreaded shell cracks) are the tiny, minuscule, microscopic, virtually insignificant minority of phantom owners, but should still be heard, and are.

Last edited:
I could swear I saw that. I'll look again. I have noticed that

I get the ipad compass calibration a lot too. I think it's an IOS ipad thing-bug-, not the go app. It does calm down though, if you keep the ipad on all the time, which I do. I have taken to not swiping the go app from history too, which may account for the ipad compass calibration settling down too. Not sure which helps, always on or the go app always in history. And it is certainly a PIA to have to do that calibration with an air2 on the rc just when you're ready to fly.
That's good info and might be my issue. The Mini 2 that I was using yesterday has been sitting idle, off, and collecting dust until yesterday's tests. I'll be taking it out again today along with my Air 2 to do some comparisons. Cheers!

There is a free third party app to calibrate iPad compass. I calibrated my iPad mini 2 compass before using it. If compass it not calibrated correctly, radar will point to incorrect copter direction.

There is a free third party app to calibrate iPad compass. I calibrated my iPad mini 2 compass before using it. If compass it not calibrated correctly, radar will point to incorrect copter direction.
I'll need to look for that since the software does not provide a way to initiate that calibration. It just sort of pops up out of the blue.

FYI that I just now completed a series of flights with both the Mini 2 (all updated) and the Air 2 (see signature for software versions). I had no more of the iOS compass calibrations today. Also, both devices flew with no issues. To be honest, it was sort of fun to fly with the smaller Mini 2 again after so long. I have the P3A with a lower max video bitrate and it is less noticable on the smaller Mini 2 screen.

I always thought that was an accelerometer calibration. Or is there another cal that apple does?
You are probably right about it being an accelerometer cal. Even though you're more of an Android guy, I'm still certain that you know more about iOS than I do!

Cheers!

I'll need to look for that since the software does not provide a way to initiate that calibration. It just sort of pops up out of the blue.

FYI that I just now completed a series of flights with both the Mini 2 (all updated) and the Air 2 (see signature for software versions). I had no more of the iOS compass calibrations today. Also, both devices flew with no issues. To be honest, it was sort of fun to fly with the smaller Mini 2 again after so long. I have the P3A with a lower max video bitrate and it is less noticable on the smaller Mini 2 screen.
Cool, but reboot the tablet or maybe even swipe the go app from history and you'll like see the calibration pop up frequently again. Many seem to prefer to reboot the tablet before flying to start clean. I'd be all for that if not for the pesky calibration routine starting all over again too. If it popped up just once and the calibration took, fine. But it's like a spam pop up for a bit until it finally settles down. And maybe it is accelerometer. I'll have to look. I know this has been a long standing reported issue in ios.

Reactions: Oso
It was a question. Are you 12? Yes.. I only have Android phones. But I have stated here at least 100 times that I fly primarily an Air 2. You SERIOUSLY need to pull up your big boy panties!!
Guy makes a mistake and you attack like that? Our world may not revolve around what devices you use. That was uncalled for.

Cool, but reboot the tablet or maybe even swipe the go app from history and you'll like see the calibration pop up frequently again. Many seem to prefer to reboot the tablet before flying to start clean. I'd be all for that if not for the pesky calibration routine starting all over again too. If it popped up just once and the calibration took, fine. But it's like a spam pop up for a bit until it finally settles down. And maybe it is accelerometer. I'll have to look. I know this has been a long standing reported issue in ios.
The "thing" for lack of a better term, that pops up for me, now in total maybe 10 times in a month, is a circle about as big as will fit the screen made up of hash marks. Like a clock. As I tilt the screen around the circle changes from a grey color to while. Like the minute hand is loose on the clock and as it swings around it changes the hash marks white. Ive never tried turning the tablet to complete the rotation, but tilting all the way around is all that I found would complete the circle and close the process.

It was a question. Are you 12? Yes.. I only have Android phones. But I have stated here at least 100 times that I fly primarily an Air 2. You SERIOUSLY need to pull up your big boy panties!!
Hey sir, I know you're hot about your chat in that other thread about the RC causing no signal issues, but perhaps chill just a tiny amount here in this thread. I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I was actually deferring to your more extensive knowledge base. I'll say it again, you are probably right about it being called an accelerometer cal.

Cool?

Also, no not 12.

Hey sir, I know you're hot about your chat in that other thread about the RC causing no signal issues, but perhaps chill just a tiny amount here in this thread. I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I was actually deferring to your more extensive knowledge base. I'll say it again, you are probably right about it being called an accelerometer cal.

Cool?

Also, no not 12.
I deleted my response. Perhaps I over reacted. If that's the case then I apologize!

Last edited:
Reactions: snerd
The "thing" for lack of a better term, that pops up for me, now in total maybe 10 times in a month, is a circle about as big as will fit the screen made up of hash marks. Like a clock. As I tilt the screen around the circle changes from a grey color to while. Like the minute hand is loose on the clock and as it swings around it changes the hash marks white. Ive never tried turning the tablet to complete the rotation, but tilting all the way around is all that I found would complete the circle and close the process.
That's exactly it, but it's incessant every time you start the go app for a bit until it somehow gets happy and settles down. Why it's not once and done is a mystery and a pain.

I deleted my response. Perhaps I over reacted. If that's the case them I apologize!
I do respect your deep knowledge of the platform and I have learned a lot from you.

I understand that written text does sometimes come across in an unintended way. Email for example is so bad in that regard. Bottom line, no worries at all but I do appreciate and accept your apology.

Cheers!

Reactions: III% Streve
That's exactly it, but it's incessant every time you start the go app for a bit until it somehow gets happy and settles down. Why it's not once and done is a mystery and a pain.
I havent nailed it down totally, but have been thinking that mine was related to the angle that the tablet was sitting when I started the app. But haven't had it happen enough to make me mad and investigate. Ill pay a bit better attention to that now and see what I can nail down.

Again I ask...has anyone used the path drawing (waypoint?) function that has appeared in the Map view in 2.4.1? Can you now draw a route on the map and have the P3 fly it?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4