Any Tablet advise for a newbie with a P3A?

Yes, you will need to preload and cache maps if you want to use them

Yes, iPad mini2 will work. However, iPad mini2 wifi is not integrated with GPS module, that means you are not able to use 'go to home' because there are no gps information for the home location, which may cause losing your drone. And your screen will not display flying route as well.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes, iPad mini2 will work. However, iPad mini2 wifi is not integrated with GPS module, that means you are not able to use 'go to home' because there are no gps information for the home location, which may cause losing your drone. And your screen will not display flying route as well.

Doesn't the home point for flight originally come from the UAS's GPS? The phone GPS is used to change home point in flight, right?

i'll vouch for the ipad air 2 as ive just bought one for my new phantom.

no lag at all to report and i just got the 16gb wifi as i wont be using it for much else. It doesnt need the extended tablet holder if you arent planning on putting it in a case but i'd recommend getting it just for added protection.

Doesn't the home point for flight originally come from the UAS's GPS?
Yes.

The phone GPS is used to change home point in flight, right?
Only if you're setting the home point to your location. You can also reset the home point to the Phantom's location -- which would use the Phantom's GPS.

I purchased the iPad Air 2 with cellular (not activated). Fantastic experience over my iPhone 5. No lag and perfect size I think. I'm sure there are other options that are less expensive but I have no gripes with this purchase.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wow that is just so incorrect. RTH works exceptionally well and it works with or without a GPS enabled mobile device.

Reactions: JoBe and Sagebrush
Wow that is just so incorrect. RTH works exceptionally well and it works with or without a GPS enabled mobile device.

Without GPS, RTH only works if you set the home point to the current position of the Phantom (because the Phantom has GPS and it will use that). If you move from the location that you launched from, you will not be able to set a new home point based on your new location. Also, you will not be able to use some of the other GPS required features, such as Follow me.

Without GPS, RTH only works if you set the home point to the current position of the Phantom (because the Phantom has GPS and it will use that). If you move from the location that you launched from, you will not be able to set a new home point based on your new location. Also, you will not be able to use some of the other GPS required features, such as Follow me.
That's correct. If you want more high level info on the features, you can check here:
Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO | Page 21 | DJI Phantom Forum

Thanks everyone for your input! I just ordered an Ipad air 2 and I expect it will be fine. Thanks again

How do you download and cache maps or google earth sat images saving the air time on Iphone 5s

How do you download and cache maps or google earth sat images saving the air time on Iphone 5s
On Apple devices, you can only cache the maps within the DJI GO app.

i am having trouble understanding how to actually cache the map for later and thenbringing it up when I get to the flying location

While connected to the Internet, open the DJI GO app and go to the location on the map where you'll be flying. Zoom in as much as you can and then scroll around where you plan to fly and also the area surrounding in case of surprises. That will store the maps so they are available when you're offline. Note that they will eventually expire after a few weeks and you will need to cache again. Also, there is a setting to enable or disable caching maps, so be sure that is enabled first.

Reactions: JoBe and FotoGeek
To cache maps, connect your mobile device to the Internet, open the DJI GO app, scroll to the location on the map where you want to fly, zoom down to the appropriate level on the map, and then scroll all around the flying location so the map image loads. At that point, the map images should be stored locally and still be available when you disconnect from the Internet and restart the DJI GO app.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic