Any Regrets?

tmartin62 said:
I have regrets. By the time I bought a box full of batteries and a new gopro and still have crappy to no FPV, I could have easily paid for a vision 2.

I am hesitant to add a video transmitter and antenna because of the added weight and even shorter flight times. That said, I did bookmark those items today and am considering adding them to see.

That said, I enjoy my FC40 but I should have done my homework on the extra costs before ordering.

What I would really like is something like the TBS Discovery line or similar. Maybe in the future.

Yes, yes and yes. I could have written your post word for word.

I really enjoy my FC40 but was starting to wonder if it is worth throwing the money into to get it to the level I want, or would the P2 be the better platform to start with.
I am going to hold onto it and see how Darwin makes out with the FPV upgrades he linked to in my 'pimp my FC40' thread.
If they pan out it may be reasonable to upgrade this one. If not, then I will start to look into the P2 a bit more.

Sounds like a mixed bag of responses as I kind of expected.

I got confirmation that mine has shipped and it's supposed to arrive this week. I figure this will give me a fair entry into aerial photography and see if it's anything I want to continue with.

I have been involved with RC planes and helis for many years so the money pit is nothing new to me.

Inevitably I will probably end up with way more money tied up in this that I should, but that's the way it goes. I already own a GoPro, so I will be looking into a way to use that. Definitely interested in ground station mods. Opening up the electronics is not an issue for me.

I have already begun compiling a list for a F550 build and a 250 size as well.

Need to pick up a couple of extra batteries and some spare props

my pits getting a bit deeper to :eek: been flying helis for 2 years now, bunch of SABs and some protos. I haven't flown any of the helis since I got the FC, its nice to just step outside and have a flight, have a 250 on the way, those things just look like fun, have all the stuff ready to go in the SAB380 as soon as that's out. a $50 mall was the gate way to this,,,,, :lol:

dtviewer said:
I am going to hold onto it and see how Darwin makes out with the FPV upgrades he linked to in my 'pimp my FC40' thread.
If they pan out it may be reasonable to upgrade this one. If not, then I will start to look into the P2 a bit more.

I have everything except the GoPro cable, so once it gets here I will be ready to test. I have everything else ready to go.

It's suppose to be here on Tuesday.

pert said:
my pits getting a bit deeper to :eek: been flying helis for 2 years now, bunch of SABs and some protos. I haven't flown any of the helis since I got the FC, its nice to just step outside and have a flight, have a 250 on the way, those things just look like fun, have all the stuff ready to go in the SAB380 as soon as that's out. a $50 mall was the gate way to this,,,,, :lol:

mall heli crack dealers..... coax is a gateway drug..

Mine was freeflight and control line.

I've been on and off the RC wagon so many times...

I kind of wished I just bought the standard Phantom 2 for $679 and added a gopro because its much more capable setup. But for the price, the FC40 camera does perform well in bright light (just not low light), its hard to beat it.

Anyone else thought about building one from scratch, I have priced up some parts and even using the nasa as a flight controller its not that that bad priced.
Wouldn't have a nice case like a DJI phantom etc but would do everything else

I tested my FPV setup today.

I have a 500 mW Boscam transmitter and matching receiver. Stock antennas.

The cable I posted a link for did NOT fit. It had only 2 connectors, the transmitter has 4. I just removed the pins from both connectors and switched them.

I have my maximum range set pretty low, forgot to reset it.

Flytrex says the maximum distance was 510 feet. The picture started to get static and break up at that distance. It reconnected automatically when it got closer.

When I got home, I moved my transmitter to run the antenna down the rear leg - opposite the compass magnet.The camera and gimbal blocked it when the FC40 was facing me.

I may also move my receiver. It is attached to the bottom of my transmitter. It's antenna is about 3 inches from my transmitter's antenna and is under my monitor.

I'm also going to look for a directional antenna for the receiver.

It is NICE being able to see exactly what my GoPro sees, including when I tilt the camera.

I think the FC40 has been a great intro for me and modding the thing to my taste has been a ton of fun.
If you see the 439 Euro as education cost with the FC40 as a bonus, and THEN after a couple of months you buy a P2 with Fatshark (I already had a Gopro) and IOSD mini, you end up with 2 very nice Quads for the price of 1 single Vision2+. And by that time you know exactly what you're doing. You will not tip over at the first flights, you will calibrate correctly and you will not have fly aways, because you know the pilot errors that cause them. :roll:
AND, having 2 quads certainly gives you a bit more basis to sustain the hobby. If I would fly a Vision2+ in the drink I would certainly not start over again. At least now, if I loose one, I can still continue with the other.

I though about getting a V2+ but I decided this was a much too closed and integrated system for me, and the FPV range would still be quite limited compared to a standard 250MW FPV setup. Besides, I want to be free in choice of camera's, now and in the futue. I rather see the Phantom as a craft that functions as camera platform then as a flying camera.

I'm very satisfied with the FC40 AND my new P2. They both share the same Gopro. When I fly them both (with my son), I can still use the FC40 cam. And the 720p takes are quite good compared to the Gopro. Certainly useable for short clips and takes, the different view angle also gives a nice frame. My son has the FC40 app on his Galaxy and whenever he wants he can take it and shoot some footage. He stays away from the P2 of course :).

Anyway, much much better then if I would have started with a 1300 Euro V2+ .

I got it out to 1000+ feet today, a little static, I did NOT loss the signal. Both with the standard antenna and the one I took off of my old router. I have another place I can fly and get further away, but I can barely see the damned thing at 300 yards! We lost it completely for a while today. I could see what the GoPro saw. I thought I had it pointed at me, but it wasn't and it flew another direction. It was also up a lot higher than I was expecting.

I may just test it on the ground with my car.

http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopter-phantom-fc40-darwin-teague-68814/

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl