Any reason not to upgrade firmware?

Reaction score
I haven't used my drone in quite some time and I am out of the loop. The drone drone software is: 1.6.40 and Controller software: 1.5.70

I know DJI in the past has been known to lock down some functionality for legal reasons with new firmware.

Is there any reason to upgrade to newer or even more specifically NOT to upgrade?

Thanks guys

I haven't used my drone in quite some time and I am out of the loop.

We've seen several threads lately that began with, "I haven't flown in a while and my drone worked perfectly the last time I used it. Now it [has no video but everything else works; won't connect to the app; won't let me past the how to connect screen; says RC signal lost; etc]"

My personal advice is to make sure that what you have now works before introducing any variables (FW changes) that may make it harder to troubleshoot an issue. Once you are sure that everything still works as you remember, then decide if you want to change anything.

Last edited:
I don't upgrade the firmware unless there is an issue or the firmware adds some new capability that is needed. And especially now that as of 1.10.09 you cannot rollback the firmware!

Reactions: GVDD scout
Don't do it...firmware update bricked my drone twice. Thankfully dji fixed it both times free of charge..

I don't upgrade the firmware unless there is an issue or the firmware adds some new capability that is needed. And especially now that as of 1.10.09 you cannot rollback the firmware!
Wise choice. I upgraded through DJI Assistant as recommended by DJI Go, and as a result, Pix4D Capture lost all plan GPS data with near catastrophic results. After downgrading back to previous version, all is well between DJI and Pix4D.

The new DJI Go app says it is not compatible with my I-Pad mini 2. Is there anyway to back to the earlier version?

Last edited:
What version ipad mini do you have? Was it working before? There is no way to go back that I know of.

The new DJI Go app says it is not compatible with my I-Pad mini. Is there anyway to back to the earlier version?

I suppose, You have the first gen iPad mini. It comes with the A5 processor, which has 32-bit architecture.

The future versions of iOS will not allow 32-bit Apps, so, DJI may decided to put on App Store only the 64-bit version.

If so, You don't have an option to upgrade - just use the previous version, or prepare to upgrade to a new iPad :/

I'm in exactly the same situation. I'm running 1.6.4 (drone) and 2.4.3 (IOS App). Everything is working fine, but I'm tempted to update because I'm now several versions behind. I'm running an older iPad mini 2, which I eventually plan to upgrade (which will force me to upgrade the DJI App anyway)

The main reason I haven't updated my DJI software yet is because my current version does not have the Flight Restriction Zone feature, which seems like a pain. I've also looked through the release notes (link below), and I didn't see any compelling reason to upgrade.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/Phantom+3+Professional+Release+Notes.pdf

I think I will stick with my current software until I upgrade my iPad or DJI releases a really compelling new feature.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies guys. I will stay with my firmware. Everything works so why mess with it. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some kind of critical beneficial change.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4