Any RC glider pilots here? PLEASE! :)

Reaction score
I've always (for a very long time) wanted a glider. I hope you will help me with my ignorant questions! :)

1). Can gliders be flown (mostly gliding, motor off) over flat South Georgia land? I've always thought of gliders being flown over peaks and valleys, to hit rising hot air currents.

2). The self-imposed drone rule is a maximum altitude of 400 feet. Doesn't the concept of RC gliders is to fly much higher?

3). I assume gliders need to be very light to take advantage of rising air currents. So, is FPV equipped gliders possible?

4). If no rising currents, is it feasible to use the electric motor to reach higher heights and then cut the motor and glide back down? I think that wouldn't be as much fun and it will result in shorter flight times.

5). Again, exponding on question 2, isn't it basically a waste of time at 400'? I would like to soar higher and I like high altitude videos. Should I forget this if I obey that rule?

6). Lastly, can you recommend a particular glider? I assume that V tails are not desirable. Links would be nice. At least a description of the best glider. I do have plane experience, both RC and in the real thing. I never got a real glider ride.

7). If you have read this far, thank you for just doing so! Many thanks! :)

Re: Any glider pilots here?

Can't get much further south in Georgia:
Glider%20Activity%20on%20sectional.jpg

Grab a sectional chart and look for the glider symbol. Then go to the nearest airport and inquire about glider training.
http://aeronav.faa.gov/content/aeronav/sectional_files/PDFs/Jacksonville_94_P.pdf

Re: Any glider pilots here?

SteveMann said:
Can't get much further south in Georgia:
Glider%20Activity%20on%20sectional.jpg

Grab a sectional chart and look for the glider symbol. Then go to the nearest airport and inquire about glider training.
http://aeronav.faa.gov/content/aeronav/sectional_files/PDFs/Jacksonville_94_P.pdf

You did get that I'm talking about RC gliders, didn't you? :). As for South Georgia, my home is in Valdosta, GA, about 12 miles from the Florida border. You do know that if you are 65 or older, that you are required to move to Florida!

Right? :) A winning lottery ticket will help into building a house on the beach - hurricane proof. :)

Edit: I changed the topic so people will know I mean RC gliders. I do thank you for your reply. Do you know what 73 means? 73 :)

Edit #2, your map didn't include my town!

Re: Any RC glider pilots here?

Go here for an on-line national sectional.

KC4YHX

Re: Any RC glider pilots here?

N017RW said:
Go here for an on-line national sectional.

KC4YHX

Uh, go where?

WB4PSM. (50 years as a ham). That makes me 51 years old. :)

wkf94025 said:
Radian Pro glider

I don't follow. Is that a RC glider? Do you have a link?

Edit: I did a Google on it and found it. However, since I wasn't getting any RC tips here, I bought one from Hobby King last night. All five star reviews and it looks the same except for a clear nose cone. No transmitter or receiver, but I've got that covered.

Thanks anyway. Maybe I can buy it if I crash this one. Can you answer any of the questions above? :)

Oh well, I'll fly it and get the answers I want. I suspect no one is willing to say that, yes, they fly gliders much higher than 400'. :)

PhantomFanatic said:
Oh well, I'll fly it and get the answers I want. I suspect no one is willing to say that, yes, they fly gliders much higher than 400'. :)

I guess if I were you I would go to a RC plane forum to get these questions answered. I would suspect many of us have RC CP Heli experience, but less of us have RC Plane and specifically glider experience :)

assuming the glider you bought is mainstream, you will almost certainly find a wealth of model-specific information on RC Groups.

wkf94025 said:
assuming the glider you bought is mainstream, you will almost certainly find a wealth of model-specific information on RC Groups.

Thanks, maybe Google too. It was from Hobby King with many reviews, all five stars.

I used to fly RC Gliders many years ago. We live in West Central Wisconsin and flew from a field or, in winter, from the ice.
We used a High Start system available at hobby stores. They will give you a launch height ranging up to 200-300 feet. Basically, it is a length of surgical tubing and a much longer length of nylon line. You hook up the glider, pull it back to the full stretch of the tubing and let er go. Gives good, consistent launches, but not as high as you can reach with a motor glider. I would assume that there are many motor gliders on the market now. Other than that, they are very easy to fly.
I wouldn't recommend going higher than 400' though. At 400' and any distance out, it is going to be hard to see anything but the largest glider. If you are using FPV, the same rules apply as those of any other UAV.
Frankly, I think anybody flying anything more than 400' agl is just asking for trouble. If you want to go higher, learn to fly a real plane.

Howdy,
Gliders are what got me into the Hobby!
All mine have motors some with a Vtail, I quickly went to pusher props as I got into FPV.
I would recommend the FPV Raptor as it has a PVC Fuselage. Phoenix 2.meter has a folding prop up front and flaps. The wings are interchangeable ;)

Also check into dynamic soaring speed record for a real rush ! 446 MPH ,from a glider! Lets see a Quad do that! You can try this on Real flight simulator!

My Gliders
FPV Rator Version 1 and 2
Phoenix 2000
Shy Easy
Blaze with V tail
Sky Surfer
Sky Hunter ...This comes with pusher and EDF as well as T tail and V Tail, all quick change
I have more but these are my favorite

try generalhobby for the Raptor! they are on sale!
I would post more but the spelling Police are always chasing me..... :oops:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj