Any problems after upgrading MC board

Reaction score
I'd be interesting in hearing reports, good and bad, from anyone who has upgraded their Phantom with the new MC board, especially if you use the Zenmuse H3-2D.

I've not read many reports, is everyone waiting in the wings?

Have done it, pretty uneventful upgrade. Goes more or less just like the video shows. Helps to have a good soldering iron -- 40W or so with a chisel (not point) tip. That lead-free solder is hard to melt and you don't want to end up with flimsy solder connections for your battery or ESCs.

Hardest thing was getting the NAZA off the old board -- that 3M adhesive is pretty strong. :) Best tip is just to apply pressure from one end or corner and *keep pulling* until it starts to give. Once it begins to let loose it will eventually peel itself off. Make sure you mount the NAZA on the new board *exactly* where shown and EXACTLY parallel to the board.

One thing I did before disassembly was take a Dymo label maker (the sort network admins use for labeling network cables in data centers) and label each of the ESCs M1 - M4 (based on the NAZA port they connect to) as well as the servo wires themselves. Made it more idiot-proof to reconnect everything back to the NAZA.

In replacing the LED module, I was actually able to take out the screws and simply slide it downwards and off of the mini-USB connector; I didn't actually have to pull the connector off the shell and reglue it. New one slide on similarly. If you have to, no harm in pulling off the adhesive and regluing.

For the Zenmuse, use the BLACK ribbon cable that comes in the Zenmuse kit -- DO NOT use the gray one that comes with the upgrade board. It's about 0.5cm too short. Cruel trick.

Make sure you upgrade to firmware 4.0 (3.16 minimum required) and you should be good. 4.0 fixes the problem of updating the on-board GCU. The firmware 1.0.0.9 is the most current for the board-based GCU, although the "outboard" GCU that comes with the Zenmuse is 1.4 I believe. 1.0.0.9 is correct for the new board.

That's all I can think of -- good luck!

The board seems to be fine except that now I can not connect my iOSD mini through a PMU V2?

There are now two cables that want to go into the X3 port and two that want to go into the EXP port - one from the upgraded MC and one from the PMU V2 that has the CAN BUS for the iOSD mini.

Very confused how these products are not working together.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31