Any Point to Upgrading Antenna

Reaction score
Just wondering if it's worth upgrading the antenna to get increased range. I've seen some youtubers do some upgrades regarding antenna mods, yet they get less distance than what I can get simply using phone apps.

If conditions are right - I can get up to 1.4km - I only average about 800m though. I was thinking perhaps with an antenna upgrade or some kind of mod, that I might be more able to pull off 1.4km more often. I like to go full distance when I can - I find it useful for some aerial photography - eg - coastal shots, Forests, and fitting in small towns ...

This far I have adjusted the screws, using a booster app -

What are my other opitons - if any ??? Again - from what I have seen on youtube ... people are using antennas and getting less than what I can. Make me wonder if it's worth going down that route or not?

Wi-fi repeaters was another Idea but have no idea how to go about that. - Flying from a car seems a little chancy ... I'd rather try from a push bike.

Hey Davekyn, when I got my phantom about 3 months ago I could only get about 1200 feet before the wifi would start breaking up, and that was using the booster app. After about a month of flying around limited I decided to buy the stage 2 kit and let me tell you it was worth it. I have flown over 6000 feet before losing 2.4 and 5.8 range, but when I start to turn around and come back with the bird facing me the wifi doesn't really come in clean till around 4000 feet or so. So now I plan to upgrade the bird side and my hope is that I can fly out to 6000 feet radius and stay in the circumference of my position without having any breaks :shock: :eek: or maybe I should call it control loss :lol:

Davekyn said:
Just wondering if it's worth upgrading the antenna to get increased range. I've seen some youtubers do some upgrades regarding antenna mods, yet they get less distance than what I can get simply using phone apps. .

Because you cant gain actual flying range using a phone app.

You can only increase video range.

FWIW, if you are in the US it is actually against FCC Part 15 regulations to alter the antenna arrangement of a certified device like the Phantom. Yes, I know, EVERYBODY does it, but they are all doing it illegally.

Antenna Requirement
Changing the antenna on a transmitter can significantly increase, or decrease, the
strength of the signal that is ultimately transmitted. Except for cable locating
equipment, the standards in Part 15 are not based solely on output power but also take
into account the antenna characteristics. Thus, a low power transmitter that complies
with the technical standards in Part 15 with a particular antenna attached can exceed
the Part 15 standards if a different antenna is attached. Should this happen it could
pose a serious interference problem to authorized radio communications such as
emergency, broadcast and air-traffic control communications.

In order to prevent such interference problems, each Part 15 transmitter must be
designed to ensure that no type of antenna can be used with it other than the one used
to demonstrate compliance with the technical standards.
This means that Part 15
transmitters must have permanently attached antennas, or detachable antennas with
unique connectors. A "unique connector" is one that is not of a standard type found in
electronic supply stores.

It is recognized that suppliers of Part 15 transmitters often want their customers to be
able to replace an antenna if it should break. With this in mind, Part 15 allows
transmitters to be designed so that the user can replace a broken antenna. When this
is done, the replacement antenna must be electrically identical to the antenna that was
used to obtain FCC authorization for the transmitter. The replacement antenna also
must include the unique connector described above to ensure it is used with the proper
transmitter.

What changes can be made to an FCC-authorized device without requiring a new FCC authorization?

No changes are permitted to certified equipment by anyone other than the grantee or
the grantee's designated agent; except, however, that changes to the FCC ID without
any other changes to the equipment may be performed by anyone by filing an
abbreviated application.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engin ... t63rev.pdf

I honestly don't believe its illegal because the same regulation allows hobbyist to home build their own systems.

"Home-Built Transmitters that are Not for Sale
Hobbyists, inventors and other parties that design and build Part 15 transmitters with no intention of ever marketing them may construct and operate up to five such transmittersfor their own personal use without having to obtain FCC equipment authorization."

rrmccabe said:
I honestly don't believe its illegal because the same regulation allows hobbyist to home build their own systems.

"Home-Built Transmitters that are Not for Sale
Hobbyists, inventors and other parties that design and build Part 15 transmitters with no intention of ever marketing them may construct and operate up to five such transmittersfor their own personal use without having to obtain FCC equipment authorization."

True enough. However, the Phantom is not a Home-Built Transmitters that are Not for Sale. The difference is that the Phantom devices have an FCC ID number and are therefore subject to the prohibition against alteration that homebuilt devices are not subject to.

Bottom line, if it has an FCC ID label on it you cannot modify it. There is no ambiguity on the part of the FCC on this.

Wonder if an amateur radio license gives you any latitude with this?

Davekyn said:
Just wondering if it's worth upgrading the antenna to get increased range. I've seen some youtubers do some upgrades regarding antenna mods, yet they get less distance than what I can get simply using phone apps.

If conditions are right - I can get up to 1.4km - I only average about 800m though. I was thinking perhaps with an antenna upgrade or some kind of mod, that I might be more able to pull off 1.4km more often. I like to go full distance when I can - I find it useful for some aerial photography - eg - coastal shots, Forests, and fitting in small towns ...

This far I have adjusted the screws, using a booster app -

What are my other opitons - if any ??? Again - from what I have seen on youtube ... people are using antennas and getting less than what I can. Make me wonder if it's worth going down that route or not?

Wi-fi repeaters was another Idea but have no idea how to go about that. - Flying from a car seems a little chancy ... I'd rather try from a push bike.

You have to keep in mind that WHERE you fly is EXTREMELY important in determining distance, with and without antenna modifications. If you pay attention to most of the long distance videos you see on this site, the vast majority are done on flat terrain, usually in the midwest, Florida or similar area where there are few hills. Or are done from a very high elevation on a mountain or mountainside where the Phantom doesn't have to gain any altitude at all for a clear LOS. Also, most are done in rural areas where there is little wifi interference. You must have a pretty much unobstructed line from you to the Phantom to maintain video and control, no matter where you fly.

I live in New England where the opposite is true. From one town to the next the elevation can vary by 1000 feet just about anywhere in the state but the shoreline. There are few rural areas near me unless I want to drive 40 miles or more. I spent $30 on two flat patch antennas,a booster app and couple of adapter cables and can fly just about a mile in any direction now, at 400-500 feet altitude or higher. If I want to go further, I just use ilovecoffee's modified GS app, but the flight becomes autonomous after LOS is lost or I go more than 400-5000 feet out.

jasonb777 said:
Hey Davekyn, when I got my phantom about 3 months ago I could only get about 1200 feet before the wifi would start breaking up, and that was using the booster app. After about a month of flying around limited I decided to buy the stage 2 kit and let me tell you it was worth it. I have flown over 6000 feet before losing 2.4 and 5.8 range, but when I start to turn around and come back with the bird facing me the wifi doesn't really come in clean till around 4000 feet or so. So now I plan to upgrade the bird side and my hope is that I can fly out to 6000 feet radius and stay in the circumference of my position without having any breaks :shock: :eek: or maybe I should call it control loss :lol:

jasonb, reception on the front as you have noticed is nothing like the front. So much so I don't recommend turning around after reaching your distance. Now, if you can force RTH/FailSafe cleanly with the quad pointed away, you should be ok. But I still prefer to pull back on the lever and fly backwards for at least a couple hundred feet and then force RTH/FailSafe increases your chances of making it back trouble free.

rrmccabe said:

This comes up on various ham forums. If it is a Part 15 device and was certified with a particular antenna like the Phantom is, then even a licensed amateur radio operator cannot modify it and operate under Part 15.

The twist is that if you do have a license you can make changes, but it is no longer a Part 15 device and then must be operated under the limits of the Part 97 Amateur Radio Rules. But wait, it gets even more convoluted. Part 97 allows operations on 2,399 to 2,450 MHz. The Phantom Vision + WiFi repeater operates on 2,412 to 2,462 MHz, the upper limit is outside the ham band. The main transmitter is within the Part 97 band privileges. However, the frequency hopping nature of both the main radio and the WiFi violates the ham license prohibition against encrypted transmission.

Sure, the FCC is probably not going to come after you unless you cause some issue. However, if you get into a legal wrangle I can almost guarantee you that the opposite side will bring up the point that the use was not legal. Beyond that, using an illegal transmitter probably negates any insurance coverage you may have. AMA for instance requires that you comply with all FCC regulations. Most commercial policies also require operating legally as well.

rrmccabe said:

No. An Amateur license does not allow you to exceed or violate FCC regulations in any way or case.

It does allow you to use radio bands reserved for HAMs for the operation of r/c but must be within regulated parameters.

Getting caught violating FCC regulations is a good way for Uncle Sam to take your license.

Yea I knew we had some additional frequency privileges.

I know some of my amateur friends that were into RC years ago took advantage of that. But I was not into anything RC at the time.

Kinda moot now.

Why bother?

Why bother trying do what it takes to fly on a HAM band.

Back in the day , having [somewhat] exclusive use of the additional HAM frequencies meant you didn't have to wait for a 'frequency pin' at the local flying field.

With current technology there's no more hassles with frequency allocation.

Yea I agree. I just wasn't sure what extra privileges were available with home brew, etc.

Nice to see so many replies. I'm rushed for now but wanted to reply about the "legality"

LAWS - if only I saw the law being enforced as it should, then I might consider also keeping my dog on a leash. Just kidding - I do keep my dog on a leash and thanks for pointing out the restrictions. I live in Australia and pretty much abide by the recreational guide lines as set out by casa

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_100374

That's just a quick search as I can't find the other page (official documents) my wife came up with when searching on the current laws (we have had personal correspondence with casa to find out the law - I'm a bit foggy at the moment. People often refer to my new camera as a Toy. I assure you, I do not consider it as such. The Law -SIGH ... If people respected it and it was for "all" then I might have more regard for it when people start quoting it. None the less - again I respect the mention of it. Freedom is another topic I think comes to mind. Finding the line between that and the Law seems rather unbalanced. I support those that choose to bend the law, when it does not comprise another persons space, privacy and or freedoms. Srry if that's a bit vague, but that's my response to those who are rigid and inflexible when citing laws - not saying you are. I've had a bad experience with a person getting in my face whilst I was flying within the guide lines of casa. I did well not to skitz out on the idiot and retain some kind of dignity for other fellow drone pilots.

Concise in not my better side - I am very interested when it comes to drone/uav -remote controlled laws - a lot more smaller ones on the market now. There's no doubt there's going to be a lot more laws to come. Knowing what they are and will be is high on my list - knowing why they are there and so on. Having said that though - I've been arrested for a lot worse and will only respect such laws as much as say all those people that walk their dogs without a leash, play copyrighted movies and games on their chipped/modified play stations, take a piss on a Friday night, walk across a street corner outside the designated walk ways, or say a cop that runs a red light ... "much a do about nothing" ...

That's my 2 cents with regard to local law -

Sorry to go off topic - will try and work out the science behind this whole business of extending the range - When I switch on my RC is goes Beep Beep - :eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers