Any picture takers?

Reaction score
I am mainly interested in photographs rather than video and figure there must be others out there. Feel free to share your images in this thread.

I also have a question for those focused on pictures, with the vision, the FPV showed the full sensor data so you could accurate frame shots taken in [L]. With the vision+ I am not sure how to get the FPV to show the full area even though it is set to a 4:3 resolution.

What I see in FPV:

What I get in resulting L image:

Is everyone else in the same boat? Previously the view matched this L image exactly so it was easy to frame. Is their a new setting in the V+ for the FPV FOV? Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• fpv.png
    fpv.png
    149.6 KB · Views: 657
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 688
I cant wait to do video and photos I took hwb2107's image i know its not raw but i ran it through some of my filters, had to save it smaller to be able to upload...

Attachments

• test-image.png
    test-image.png
    589.5 KB · Views: 601
Here's 2.

Attachments

• Fort Knox 30256.jpg
    Fort Knox 30256.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 584
  • Penobscot Narrows Bridge 10097.jpg
    Penobscot Narrows Bridge 10097.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 602
Nice shots, I like how they look in b/w and it seems given the altitude a little curves / contrast adjustment can bring a lot out of the images even from such a small sensor.

When you guys are framing your shots with the V+ do you have the same issue (not able to see top/bottom of captured image in FPV)?

A shot of a lake:

Attachments

• beaverlake.jpg
    beaverlake.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 566
I too purchased both the original PV2 and now the PV2+ primarily for photos. Video capture is nifty but has limited uses due to the quality (or lack thereof) that can be achived.

As for framing the shots - I always aim for having a bit of extra space on four sides of my subject as seen in the FPV preview on my mobile device. Two reasons - the one you mentioned above with a disconnect between what you see and what you get. The second reason is that I'm going to crop the outside edges off in post, especially if the lens correction filter has been applied. I also like the widescreen look.

Here's a recent snap from my PV2, not the PV2+.

Attachments

• DJI00543_ARP.jpg
    DJI00543_ARP.jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 495
I'm interested in improving the quality of sunrise and sunset photos. I expected better quality for the cost of the unit. I'm assuming I'm missing something in the settings. The sun and surrounding sky is always too washed out. Any pro photographers have any tips on how to improve this?

Attachments

• IMG_7806.jpg
    IMG_7806.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 499
  • DJI00049.jpg
    DJI00049.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 449
I think we all had higher expectations starting with the PV2 and now the PV2+. Keep in mind however that you did not purchase an expensive camera. You purchased an expensive RC quad-copter with a cheap web cam. :)

One thing I would suggest after looking at your images is that you play with exposures. Set your white balance to cloudy, ISO to 100 and then underexpose using the stops in the app. The actual settings that work for the image you are trying to take will vary on many factors.

This is an issue of metering, you can actually adjust this on the fly to spot, center or average. If you have an area you want to expose for then adjust accordingly. Alternatively, play with exposure compensation.

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phanto ... e_Metering

This is the same as any camera, well worse, because it is a very cheap (sub phone camera quality) so perhaps there are a few less stops of dynamic range to start with and you get very blown out highlights. It makes me actually impressed with the phone vendors which eek quite a bit more quality out of a much smaller sensor and lens but they are doing a lot of tricks in software (like the iPhone 5S's auto HDR for example).

When you do expose for the sun or area near it, the other parts of your image will likely be dramatically underexposed. Perhaps one day we will get exposure bracketing, as the burst rate is not bad. But you really need two exposures combined to do such dynamic lighting conditions any justice. I would say underexpose now, then see what you can bring back up in PS from the raw image.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.