Any other pilots carry a weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm sure this topic will spark some good debate, so I figured it was worth posting! I almost always concealed-carry my Glock when I fly. Obviously I'd never draw or even brandish my weapon unless I legitimately thought my life or someone else's life was in danger, but I do worry about the odd whack-job who takes issue with me flying my scary drone around. I know, it sounds nuts, and it's insanely unlikely I'd ever need to use it, but I like to be prepared.

And in case you're worried Joe Schmoe is making the drone hobby look bad running around with his piece, I'm a former Marine who served as an armed security guard at US Embassies. I'm very well trained with weapons and the use of force. That said, I still believe the best weapon in most situations is your words.

So, do you arm yourself while you fly?

My summer job requires or at least its in the plan submitted for transport. Most never know or knew for over twenty years. The words from one issuing authority was "you having a gun will probably be the least of our worries". If one is wise one will try to avoid any kind of conflict while carrying as all they have to say now is that you threatened them and you could be charged with making a terroristic threat etc.

I live in Europe and a few years ago I would have found that idea ridiculous. I'm not worried that anyone would get pissed from getting filmed or anything.
However, we had a massive influx of "doctors and engineers" from certain countries, and they are now roaming the streets... I didnt have the pleasure to meet one of them yet while flying the phantom but anyways, I got pepper sprays for me (and my girlfriend).
Big advantage: With a pepper spray you don't have to wait for the situation to escalate until it justifies the use of a gun/knife (e.g. if someone just tries to steal your stuff). I just try to avoid flying anywhere near a group of "youth" altogether

Controversial statement but no wonder there rare so many shootings in the states when people feel the need to carry a gun when flying a drone [emoji57] from the UK here...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: dirtybum
Controversial statement but no wonder there rare so many shootings in the states when people feel the need to carry a gun when flying a drone [emoji57] from the UK here...

There aren't as many as most people think. This is due to the bias spin that the media and others put on figures. Every side will spin it to make their side look better and the media will sensationalize it to get more viewers.

I never really felt like I needed a weapon until after I carried one on duty for three years, where everything was about being prepared and trained for the worst possible situations. Having a weapon is just that, bring prepared for the unlikely.

It's like having a fire extinguisher. It's there, but you hope you don't need to use it, and you probably never will.

Not sure what this has to do with flying a drone. Threatening someone's life and defending yourself is one thing. Can't see fearing for your life because you are flying as a real issue.

Not sure what this has to do with flying a drone. Threatening someone's life and defending yourself is one thing. Can't see fearing for your life because you are flying as a real issue.
Wasn't that long ago we were discussing someone shooting down a drone because it was supposedly spying on their daughter and it could easily have been the operator being filled with lead

In this thread someone was shooting at OP's drone. Never know with some people...
Someone shoots at my P4

I carry but not just because I'm flying. I've carried everyday for over a decade and have been the victim of a violent crime, so I maintain the mindset that "it won't happen to me" is simply not true for some. I do also carry OC for non-life threatening encounters. I don't intend on getting into a fist fight with anyone, especially over a drone.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I know this is an international forum so there will be extra strong opinions about this, not just from us Yanks but from outlanders as well.

I'm always armed if I'm flying or not since I'm classed as an "honorably retired law enforcement officer." I am a retired LEO and I have fulfilled the requirements per the law. Here in Texas, I can carry anywhere an employed law enforcement officer can carry. I carry under authority of LEOSA outside of Texas.

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
For those out there who live in a place where there aren't people who want to take your possessions or worse, good for you. I live in a state with a very low crime rate and yet have been the victim of an armed assault among other lesser criminal activity. So when I fly my quads, I'm usually alone and with my attention focused on the screen or I'm wearing googles, my situational awareness is low. I'm licensed to carry and do so when flying. I always carry concealed as to not make people who are afraid of firearms, concerned or frightened.

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
I have been licensed to carry for many years now and have a weapon on me everywhere I go unless it is prohibited by law or posted by a property owner. I have also invested in ongoing training against the day I may actually have to defend myself, friends or family from some knot head. I carry concealed and so far I have never had the need to present my weapon. I would never consider using deadly force simply in defense of property, but every day in this country innocent people find themselves at the mercy of idiots who can and will hurt or kill you for the most trivial reason. So flying the drone really has nothing to do with it. It is just something I do so I don’t have to go down without any other options. I’m too old to fight and too slow to run.

Funny, I was just going to post a separate but similar theme - using drones when scouting hunting areas. (And of course, I'm armed when hunting.)

I need to look into different states legalities of using drones when hunting - and if not hunting but scouting / pre hunting... If I have a gun on me, am I assumed to be hunting, etc.

I'm a TEXAN, I carry even when I shower.
I knew we'd eventually track you down!!!

Cookie+Shower+Gun.png

Reactions: BigAl07 and JWarren
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj